Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 64

Author Topic: Ashes 2017-18  (Read 22194 times)

Manormanic and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ashes 2017-18
« Reply #780 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »

Broad , Anderson, woakes, Ali absolute nailed on so its a bit easier if the team is listed. We havnt had a Pete hosk team list for a while -Pete get on it- until then how about this?

Cook
Stoneman
Vince
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

That's 10 ....umm. I think Crane could play but the issue is broad and Anderson cannot be bowled I to the ground early it will wreck the tour

That means Overton has to play and just one spinner in Ali.

What does everyone else think? Getting a bit more excited now the 1st test is getting closer.

Malan is in possession of the number 5 spot although there is a slight argument Ballance was injured but that's a bit flaky to me  :)

Good point re Anderson and Broad  theres so much dependant on these two   England will need to pick a spinner  who if doesn't take wickets will block an end to give them a breather.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:50:32 AM by Seniorplayer »

Cow_corner

• First XI Captain
« Reply #781 on: November 11, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »

Get the Ginger Ninja on a plane EK036 leaves the Toon about 1.30 daily. Innocent until proven guilty.
A revolution is not a dinner party.

alexhilly1492

• International Captain
« Reply #782 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »

Cook
Stoneman
Vince
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Ali
Woakes
Overton
Broad
Anderson

Balanced and has enough there to cause issues for the Aussies!

Get a draw at the gabba and go to Adelaide and win series on!
HS: 61*
BB: 7-4-9-5, 7.3-0-29-5

manno

• First XI Captain
« Reply #783 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »

Get the Ginger Ninja on a plane EK036 leaves the Toon about 1.30 daily. Innocent until proven guilty.

Any plane?

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #784 on: November 11, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »

Interesting in that i think ,with 15 days until the 1st test , the eng side is locked in already , whereas the oz team isnt....
Eng
Cook , stoneman, vince , root , malan , bairstow , ali , woakes , overton , broad , anderson.
Oz
Renshaw,  warner , khawaja,  smith,  handsomb,  maxwell /cartwright /lehmann /bancroft , nevill /wade / carey /bancroft , starc , cummins,  lyon,  hazlewood.

ppccopener

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #785 on: November 11, 2017, 09:41:11 PM »

Neville and wade are the two keepers correct? Seems odd to us there is not an outstanding keeper, pretty much everyone in the past has been top draw. Brad Haddin most recent perhaps did not get the credit due-he got very useful runs and was tidy.

England's selection(we think) should be fairly easy, I do think myself Crane could play as a second spinner but for the start broad and Anderson need some protecting-meaning Overton and Woakes may need to do some donkey work.

That's presuming there won't be a lot in the wickets for the seamers.

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+25)
« Reply #786 on: November 11, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »

Is there any chance Tim Piane could be in the side for the Ashes?

Had it not been for that horror break of his finger he'd have been the man in possession of the gloves for years by now, wouldn't he?

LateBloomer

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #787 on: November 11, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »

Interesting in that i think ,with 15 days until the 1st test , the eng side is locked in already , whereas the oz team isnt....
Eng
Cook , stoneman, vince , root , malan , bairstow , ali , woakes , overton , broad , anderson.
Oz
Renshaw,  warner , khawaja,  smith,  handsomb,  maxwell /cartwright /lehmann /bancroft , nevill /wade / carey /bancroft , starc , cummins,  lyon,  hazlewood.

If you look at that England team and swap Vince and Overton for Stokes and Crane I think England have a team that can beat Australia. Crane yes is a luxury but with 4 seamers and an off spinner I feel it is a luxury England could afford and would be worth the risk. Is Overton going to contribute more anyway? Stokes being out is a game changer unfortunately.

HellomynameisJ

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #788 on: November 12, 2017, 12:02:34 AM »

Eng
Oz

Lehman and carey wont get near the squad, the keeping spot will most likely stay with Wade, and should he have a quiet first couple of tests, then i'd Imagine Nevill will get the nod. I'd love Tim Paine to be there as in an alternate injury free universe, he might be captaining the side, but realistically he hasnt been a regular player for Tasmania in recent years. #6 is the tough one, but its looking like Maxwell or Shaun Marsh, Cartwright being the least likely.

Considering that recent history tells us that maxwell and cartwright wont be asked to bowl much if at all, I think they will lean towards Marsh, he scored a lovely 90 odd against the NSW (Australian) Bowling attack last sheild game.

six and out

• County 1st XI
    • MKCC website
« Reply #789 on: November 12, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »

If you look at that England team and swap Vince and Overton for Stokes and Crane I think England have a team that can beat Australia. Crane yes is a luxury but with 4 seamers and an off spinner I feel it is a luxury England could afford and would be worth the risk. Is Overton going to contribute more anyway? Stokes being out is a game changer unfortunately.

That's a lovely and interesting thought about Stokes but wouldn't happen - not just because of the obvious about Stokes. But the problem that Root won't bat at 3 so you would only be replacing Overton with Stokes because you have no-one to bat at 3 so Vince has to play.

ScottParko

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #790 on: November 12, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »

Well I've heard we may well be seeing Mr Stokes in Oz very soon...... could be tosh but I'm hoping it's true

LateBloomer

« Reply #791 on: November 12, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »

Well I've heard we may well be seeing Mr Stokes in Oz very soon...... could be tosh but I'm hoping it's true

I could kiss you Parko

Alvaro

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #792 on: November 12, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »

Where has this potential tosh come from?

ppccopener

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #793 on: November 12, 2017, 01:26:51 PM »

I wouldn't get too excited, the only way for that to happen you would think is if the police make no charges

It's a strange world sometimes thou and if you happen to be able to afford the best lawyers who could find a loophole anything is possible !

Didn't Swann get off a drink driving charge because he was rescuing a trapped cat and needed a screwdriver ! He was over the limit but from memory the cat did get rescued from permanently living under the floorboards
 :)

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #794 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »

The quotes may well be taken out of context but I found this interesting from the ECB...

The England and Wales Cricket Board must strike a balance "between censure and support" once it concludes a review into Ben Stokes' off-field conduct, says chief executive Tom Harrison.

We will pull a stern face and write him a strongly worded letter and then fly him in ASAP

Harrison said the ECB's response "will show the values of the game in its best light".

If not found guilty from the police investigation we'll strip the vice captaincy, keep pulling the stern face and fly him in ASAP

"It's complicated and it's one of those that will depend on police matters," Harrison said. "We're in a holding pattern at the minute.

We can't send him out when there's an ongoing investigation...

"I think we will quickly recover to a place where the game is seen as doing its best to rehabilitate reputations on the field and try and get Ben and Alex back to a place where fans are really behind them."

.... but we damned well want them back in action as soon as possible... probably still with a stern face and some tutting... but definitely playing, because lets face it he's rather good
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 64

Advertise on CBF