Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gary Palmer Coaching  (Read 944 times)

roco

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+15)
Re: Gary Palmer Coaching
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »

I was more wondering if the forward press (with head more than foot position in most of the videos) was something he coached or something you naturally find helpful? How did these coaching sessions set you up for the short ball for example as I imagine that set up leaves you venerable to rib ticklers? I'm planning to toy with a lot of different things over the winter so it is good to see all these videos with something different :)

I have found im on the short ball quicker with this set up

Can't say for 100% as I play the short ball very well anyway but I seem to be able to get on top of it more from this set up and has helped me develop a cut shot which I didn't have before
The first cricket box was used in 1874.  The first cricket helmet was introduced in 1974. So, it took 100 years for men to twig that their brains were also worth protecting.

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+37)
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »

I have found im on the short ball quicker with this set up

Can't say for 100% as I play the short ball very well anyway but I seem to be able to get on top of it more from this set up and has helped me develop a cut shot which I didn't have before

@DorsetDan I think the idea was to work on the basic setup and playing shots from a decent position.
I play defensively well off the back foot anyway, whereas Roco is a more attacking player than me so plays short ball well and more attackingly than I do.
Funnily enough I used to bat mainly with a horizontal bat when I started playing so cut shot was fine. It was a the rest of the shots I struggled with  :D

At my age I was hoping to play 2nd XI where you have enough time to play several shots by the time the ball gets to you! So not an issue!

potzy248

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »

Hard to know if some of the things I'm going to mention are what you were trying to achieve.
You have a lot of momentum into the ball, which is all good if you are striking it well but could cause problems if the ball is turning or seaming and swinging away. It also makes it harder to push back off the front foot for backfoot shots.
You also look very rigid when playing your drives and you don't cock your wrists much or break them through the shot (Sort of looks like a more aggressive defensive push than a off drive) which will mean you won't get as much power as you could. You don't have to break the wrists at the end of the shot but you look on the conservative side of not breaking them.
When using your feet you still want to follow the basic rules of still head and playing the ball under your eyes. When playing spin it seemed like you were playing away from your body a lot.
Good transition though through the videos which is what you want to see from a good coach.
Kane Williamson for Prime Minister.

FattusCattus

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Bend it like Fattus!!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »

I see Gary Palmer has been added to the Lions coaching team - must have impressed after the video footage of his sessions with you @petehosk !!
If you tolerate this, then your baked goods will be next.

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+37)
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »

I see Gary Palmer has been added to the Lions coaching team - must have impressed after the video footage of his sessions with you @petehosk !!

If he can make me look anywhere close to half decent, then he must have some skills...cos I have little!  :(
He is a very decent coach! Looks like I won't be able to book any coaching lessons over Winter then  ;)

GoodLeave

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

If he can make me look anywhere close to half decent, then he must have some skills...cos I have little!  :(
He is a very decent coach! Looks like I won't be able to book any coaching lessons over Winter then  ;)

Easy.

"Off to cricket practice, Daring. See you next Wednesday."

"On a completely unrelated note, have you seen my passport?"
Pages: 1 [2]

Advertise on CBF