Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Homemade Photo-booth  (Read 450 times)

Neon Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+2)
Homemade Photo-booth
« on: October 19, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

Right, I've been fiddling for a while for a way of taking half respectable photos without spending the earth so wanted to share my idea with you all. Most companies opt for the standard "bat on top of a pile of willow shavings" look however I was after something a bit different which lead to my mini project. I should absolutely stress at the start that it's by no means perfect - DIY is not a strong point of mine!!

The plan is to start a thread of all the bats I send out, so once I've finished the current batch of photos I'll get that one started :)

Step 1.

I started off with 6 panels of 610mm x 1220mm hardboard, in hindsight I should've just gone for 3 panels of 1220 x 1220 but available funds meant opting for the cheaper option!

Step 2.

I bought 6 meter squared artificial grass mats and cut them down to size to fit the panels - again I should've bought a wider/longer roll of grass, but at 5 times the cost I'm still pretty happy with the outcome from the cheaper mats!

Step 3.

I was after something to raise up the booth, so naturally everyone's favourite Swedish furniture company came to the rescue in the form of 5 dirt cheap side tables - I've arranged them to give the boards the highest level of stability.

Step 4.

Just a case of putting it all together - not the perfect fit, but it'll do the job for what I'm after so cannot complain for the price I've spent (in total it's come to just under 100 inc an additional lamp which I'm yet to set up).

The outcome:

So these are the first couple of photos I've used the booth for - I still need to do a bit of editing on them, but overall I'm pleased with the output and its given me a good solid background.

The next step will be to get the lighting sorted, but thanks to Mr IKEA I should have that sorted shortly - will update accordingly!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:05:18 PM by Neon Cricket »

mattw

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • PRYZM Cricket
Re: Homemade Photo-booth
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

Without going to Ikea, you can spend around 20 on some decent lighting for 'whitebox photography' on eBay.

Neon Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • International Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Cheers Matt, I'll check it out!

Woodyspin

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • www.twitter.com/dunamiscricket
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »

Some lovely LED lighting would sort that out

Neon Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • International Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:44 PM »

Will give it a look, I've got a daylight bulb with dimmer I'm going to fiddle with but will try some LEDs too!

Woodyspin

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • www.twitter.com/dunamiscricket
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »

Amazon do some for less than 100 and one I've seen is 3 with 3 stands and a bag for 115. Depends on your budget i suppose

Advertise on CBF