Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Monster Aldred Butterfly and Red Ink - 2 more for the collection  (Read 1451 times)

BatGoonMcClintock

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Monster Aldred Butterfly and Red Ink - 2 more for the collection
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, glad it went well in the first net.

The weight vs pick up conversation is an interesting one. Yes there is very little in terms of actual weight difference between 2-3 oz as others have said but its down to how heavy it feels. For me personally, I think there is a suitable range for everyone within 1-2oz. Anything above or below this weight will impact on how you feel as the innings goes on or your shot timings . How the bat picks up may help sway you to heavier or light bats. I think a lot of people work on a ideal weight and could probably cope adding or taking away an oz or 2. Anything more than this and I think its then going to start to impact shots and timing.

4oz above your normal bat for me is pushing it, but whos to say what your are used to and comfortable with is right for you? If you are happy with the heavier weight then thats fine. As batsman, we normally find the smallest excuse as to why we arent scoring runs so tend to stick to what we know. Maybe the heavier bat will suit your style

@Red Ink Cricket You're welcome John, was a pleasure dealing with you and what a nice bat you've made!

This whole winter is one big science project for me and I'm going to experiment with bat weights, playing style, becoming more aggressive, etc.  Hopefully the heavy bat won't impact timing, I know the Red Ink won't be an issue as the net session suggested.  That Aldred on the other hand, seems promising so far but will reserve final judgement until after a few sessions.  Would be such a shame if I need to concave it to take weight off.

play-yourself-in

• First XI Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »

Can i be cheeky and ask what sort of price range these bats fall into?

Surely they can't be as good as that 900 quid GN knocking about ;)

Gurujames

• County 1st XI
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 05:30:13 PM »

I've never seen or used a 900 bat and until the year 2030 I don't expect to. I think for most club cricketers we want a great performing bat and from personal experience the sub 200 bats that I have from both Red Ink and Aldred (amongst others) more than meet the bill.
700 + change price difference makes it a simple choice in my mind. You also need to consider the mental anguish of a full blooded edge leading to a slight edge crack in a 900 bat.
At the end of the day you can do what you like with your own money but I think most sensible people see little if any difference in well made bats that are at opposite ends of the price spectrum.

jamesisapayne

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Best bowling: 8-3-15-6 Best batting: 111
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 09:49:04 AM »

I've never seen or used a 900 bat and until the year 2030 I don't expect to. I think for most club cricketers we want a great performing bat and from personal experience the sub 200 bats that I have from both Red Ink and Aldred (amongst others) more than meet the bill.
700 + change price difference makes it a simple choice in my mind. You also need to consider the mental anguish of a full blooded edge leading to a slight edge crack in a 900 bat.
At the end of the day you can do what you like with your own money but I think most sensible people see little if any difference in well made bats that are at opposite ends of the price spectrum.

Amen to that. 900 quid for some shaped wood. Seriously.

Both of these bats look fantastic shapes and have been hand crafted from two top quality makers - these are the sorts of batmakers we should all be supporting and pushing to others IMHO, not companies with sky high prices because they paying a fortune in sponsorships.

I look forward to hearing how they get on performance wise once they're bedding in.

BatGoonMcClintock

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

Amen to that. 900 quid for some shaped wood. Seriously.

Both of these bats look fantastic shapes and have been hand crafted from two top quality makers - these are the sorts of batmakers we should all be supporting and pushing to others IMHO, not companies with sky high prices because they paying a fortune in sponsorships.

I look forward to hearing how they get on performance wise once they're bedding in.

@jamesisapayne Agreed...I can confirm both bats are sub-200 as are 8 of my 10 bats, several are sub-150 and one was sub-100.  I haven't knocked in the Aldred yet but will use it against a bowling machine and some throwdowns tomorrow, the edges were rounded by Paul and I won't be using the toe against the bowling machine, so will be testing for ease of use.  Tomorrow cannot arrive quick enough.

Sanj

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 06:42:05 PM »

How is dukes bat performance ,any good ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Advertise on CBF