General Cricket > Cricket Training, Fitness and Injuries

Centre wicket practice

(1/4) > >>

Tomp:
Hi All,

So my club is looking at adding a training day (increasing from 1 to 2 evening p/w) and a lot of people are keen to make one of them a 1st XI centre wkt session. My experience of this type of practice is that you're at training for a couple of hours, you get about 5 overs batting in pairs, field the ball 10-15 times and bowl a few overs (if you're a bowler). So basically not a very efficient use of time.

Does anyone have any better experiences of this, or have some good ideas for structuring the session that has less people doing not a lot at any one time?

Cheers, Tom

jimmy23:

--- Quote from: Tomp on March 17, 2021, 10:46:27 AM ---Hi All,

So my club is looking at adding a training day (increasing from 1 to 2 evening p/w) and a lot of people are keen to make one of them a 1st XI centre wkt session. My experience of this type of practice is that you're at training for a couple of hours, you get about 5 overs batting in pairs, field the ball 10-15 times and bowl a few overs (if you're a bowler). So basically not a very efficient use of time.

Does anyone have any better experiences of this, or have some good ideas for structuring the session that has less people doing not a lot at any one time?

Cheers, Tom

--- End quote ---

Sounds like a normal Saturday, train as you play and all that.

edge:
How nets gets run will obviously vary but I'd guess in a 2 hour session most will get 15-20 mins batting, field for probably the same amount of time and bowl for an hour? So probably similar volume, but the practice may be better - I know I can get frustrated at times in nets if you rotate nets partway through and end up facing second team part timers etc. If we did centre wicket I'd probably get five overs from our openers/first changers which would be much more valuable practice as an opening bat.

Kez:
Depends on what space and facilities you have available really.

Its great to get out on a grass wicket and face a couple of bowlers bowling overs rather than 6 bowlers in rotation. Roll on net so no need for fielders also helps!

Buzz:
You are going to need to mix and match if you have a game. Have players rotate off fielding to have some through downs and do specific skills practice.
But there is no substitute for time in the middle as a batsman I think it is a good idea, you just need to manage it well.
Good for fielders too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version