General Cricket > Cricket Training, Fitness and Injuries

Coaching younger players

<< < (3/8) > >>

LockieEP:

--- Quote from: NT50 on June 23, 2021, 09:47:50 AM ---Iím not sure about anyone elseís club, but I find the most frustrating thing regarding youngsters is fielding.
We have a couple of lads who play county age group and their fielding is (No Swearing Please) hot as theyíre always on their toes, walking in etc.

But the ones who arenít are pretty much always on stand-by mode. They donít walk in, they donít even focus on the batsman and seem surprised every time the ball comes near them. We have one in particular who is away with the fairies and costs us runs every week.

--- End quote ---

A lot of this comes down to confidence....its hard for some of us old gits to remember the nerves of playing senior cricket for the first time and in particular the perceived pressure of league matches. the captain also needs to get the fielders in the right place. Just because they are young they are not all going to be gun fielders or prepared to throw themselves at the ball. No Nasser Hussain style cap throwing when miss fields happen - we all miss some from time to time. They also appreciate more the importance of fielding as they get more experienced.

Butterfingerz:
Every winter I deconstruct a players batting no matter what age or ability. During the season a player will always fall into bad habits whether it is footwork, balance, bat plane etc and rebuild form the ground up. Over time we progress onto the bowling machine to repeat and grove a pattern. Session by session we slightly modify length and line before then moving to the Side arm approx. 6 weeks before the season starts, this allows much more variation into what comes down at the player.

Bowling machines have their place at any time however can be relied on too much.

Regarding fielding, ALL group session start with 20-30 minutes of fielding drills. Just yesterday I was working with our Under 11's, they're all nailing it. I outline the importance of fielding on a regular basis to all groups whether it be under 9's or 1st XI.

cobweb1510:

--- Quote from: NT50 on June 23, 2021, 09:47:50 AM ---Iím not sure about anyone elseís club, but I find the most frustrating thing regarding youngsters is fielding.
We have a couple of lads who play county age group and their fielding is (No Swearing Please) hot as theyíre always on their toes, walking in etc.

But the ones who arenít are pretty much always on stand-by mode. They donít walk in, they donít even focus on the batsman and seem surprised every time the ball comes near them. We have one in particular who is away with the fairies and costs us runs every week.

--- End quote ---

One of my sons team didn't show up last match, so he ('keeper) had to bowl 2 overs and field one over. It was immediately apparent that he was much more "switched on" than his team mates. When I thought about it though- it made sense. He has to expect every ball to come to him as a keeper, and prepare for it every ball. The normal fielders might have been stood there for 20+ minutes without the ball coming near them. It's very hard to maintain that level of concentration and intensity- especially when you know it's going to be wasted the vast majority of the time. That said, it also isn't trained as much as it should be- with a focus on nets to improve batting and bowling.

AJ2014:
I was talking to the current club chairman about juniors getting into 1st and 2nd XIs. He said that in club meeting he raised this point and told them that as club we're failed in doing this! Having 1500 juniors. Reasons being they lose interest in the game, not prepared to train more frequently, they start another sport.
This is from a man who's played 30 plus years for the club, played Surrey Premier league!

Jimbo:
You have over 1000 juniors and they're not regularly making it into your Saturday league teams? We've just got over 100 for the first time this year and last weekend we had 6 current/former junior players in the 1st team, plus more playing in the 2s and 3s. Think you've got a bit more going wrong than just kids wanting to do something else with their Saturdays...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version