General Cricket > Cricket Training, Fitness and Injuries

Coaching younger players

<< < (4/8) > >>

AJ2014:

--- Quote from: Jimbo on June 23, 2021, 02:31:00 PM ---You have over 1000 juniors and they're not regularly making it into your Saturday league teams? We've just got over 100 for the first time this year and last weekend we had 6 current/former junior players in the 1st team, plus more playing in the 2s and 3s. Think you've got a bit more going wrong than just kids wanting to do something else with their Saturdays...

--- End quote ---
Might be that they're not as much talented as, might be that they're being over coached, even their parents are coaching them, might be that the coaches are not capable, because anyone can be a coach, only needs to get diplomas.

Jimbo:

--- Quote from: AJ2014 on June 23, 2021, 04:09:08 PM ---Might be that they're not as much talented as, might be that they're being over coached, even their parents are coaching them, might be that the coaches are not capable, because anyone can be a coach, only needs to get diplomas.

--- End quote ---

With 1500 juniors I think it's a stretch to claim that lack of talent, overcoaching, parental interference or poor coaches can be to blame for none of them stepping up to first or second team cricket. Failure on that scale to get young players through the system sounds like a cultural failing of the club and the youth system.

AJ2014:

--- Quote from: Jimbo on June 23, 2021, 07:09:38 PM ---With 1500 juniors I think it's a stretch to claim that lack of talent, overcoaching, parental interference or poor coaches can be to blame for none of them stepping up to first or second team cricket. Failure on that scale to get young players through the system sounds like a cultural failing of the club and the youth system.

--- End quote ---
Yes my man, this is what that guy told the club!
And that makes huge part of their income!

The Palmist:
I am working with U9s this year and for the love of God can't get some of them to bowl straight, any tips or videos will be most appreciated.

SLA:
No amount of coaching in the world will ever make up for kids not being able to regularly watch cricket on fta tv.

I received zero coaching when I was a kid, I learnt by watching test matches and playing games with my mates. I still scored my first competitive adult 50 when I was 14.

How many *totally uncoached* kids today do that?

I coach kids today and without any more natural ability or time being coached, the 10% whose parents have sky sports are just SO much better than the ones who don't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version