General Cricket > Cricket Training, Fitness and Injuries

Coaching younger players

<< < (2/8) > >>

Wozaboxa:
One thing I like to do is match situation training, if I have use of an old Strip i'll get the batsmen in and just under arm him some balls to start, place cones where a normal type field would be set and get them to try and hit the gaps, then I'll get one of the younger lads to bowl at him with the instruction as if it was a match and you were defending 15 off the last over, this helps both bat to think about the shots he's playing and work it around and bowler to think about how to bowl in pressure situations.

I'll then bring in another bowler etc... I don't believe facing a different bowler every ball as you do in nets is realistic but it's a necessary evil when club netting. But when I can I try and get 6 balls off the same bowler.

NT50:
Iím not sure about anyone elseís club, but I find the most frustrating thing regarding youngsters is fielding.
We have a couple of lads who play county age group and their fielding is (No Swearing Please) hot as theyíre always on their toes, walking in etc.

But the ones who arenít are pretty much always on stand-by mode. They donít walk in, they donít even focus on the batsman and seem surprised every time the ball comes near them. We have one in particular who is away with the fairies and costs us runs every week.

edge:

--- Quote from: NT50 on June 23, 2021, 09:47:50 AM ---Iím not sure about anyone elseís club, but I find the most frustrating thing regarding youngsters is fielding.
We have a couple of lads who play county age group and their fielding is (No Swearing Please) hot as theyíre always on their toes, walking in etc.

But the ones who arenít are pretty much always on stand-by mode. They donít walk in, they donít even focus on the batsman and seem surprised every time the ball comes near them. We have one in particular who is away with the fairies and costs us runs every week.

--- End quote ---
Ha plenty at my club do this and they don't even have the excuse of being young!

NT50:
My personal favourite is the ones who walk in, then when the ball gets hit their way, they stop and wait for it to come to them. Defeats the entire point of walking in 🤦🏻😂

ProCricketer1982:
Bowling machines are great for drilling a shot but like Buzz said.. start with under arms and progress up

Most clubs just use machines in lieu of any actual coaching or training and just let people (nt just kids) Bash balls with no real aim

obviously as amateurs we won't have 'all the shots in the book' but you still try and train as many all round shots as you can. Then with the player, assess which they like playing (because lets face it.. enjoyment is the key thing!) and which they are good at, not so good at.. then work on the mental side .. aka.. look to play their strong shots, put the weaker ones away until you're on 50 etc etc.

Kids I've found have lovely looking shots but have zero ability to adapt to the game or willingness and while people will say 'they are young'.. it's kinda the mark of a good player if they adapt their game to suit the situation, the pitch.. the bowler etc.

Realistically though, most kids just want to have fun so whatever as a coach you do.. keep it fun. After all, our games really don't matter and if it isn't fun, they will walk away sooner rather than later and the game loses out

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version