Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 199

Author Topic: Ashes 2017-18  (Read 87397 times)

liscon12

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ashes 2017-18
« Reply #1845 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »

Giving Root the captaincy starting to affect his batting?

He has too much weight on his shoulders to perform every time he goes out to the middle, the collective amount of 100's scored in the top 5 is ZERO (not considering Cook and Root of course) so how is he able to trust the others will get a decent score...

Simple answer is he can't and as a result he feels the pressure.Sad thing is it look like we don't have anyone else to improve the , the next cab off the rank is Ballance......Ballance for christ sake!!

I know one man cant turn a test series round but the exclusion of Stokes has completely killed the balance of the side...I'd rather have a Stokes than a Woakes any day and the aggression he brings (no pun intended) makes England a far more threatening side not to mention a Dukes ball and movement through the air  :(

Overall this England side shows (at times) glimmers of hope that they can become a good side but with a conveyor belt approach to batsman this side will never become the dominant force we dream them to be.

The future is bleak.....for the love of god please make me eat my words England, please.
Best Bowling: 7-22        Top Score: 54

FattusCattus

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bend it like Fattus!!
« Reply #1846 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:52 AM »

The only person we have to blame for Stokes not being on the tour is Stokes.

Are the Lions not playing many games?  Difficult to judge whether any 'form horses' could be brought into the squad.
If you tolerate this, then your baked goods will be next.

golders

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+10)
« Reply #1847 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »

I think the reality is that we are an average side,reliant on a handful of very good cricketers. At home,with conditions to our advantage, we will win more series than we lose.
The real problem is,and has been for a while now,our batting. We don't post the big scores that give our bowlers half a chance.
Australia,although their batting is still suspect- have a world class bowling attack- all four bowlers are of the highest quality- fair play to those guys.

Shinpathy

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #1848 on: December 06, 2017, 10:27:56 AM »

If only England had a Kagiso Rabats and  Maharaj to stem the flow of runs....

And a De Kock to counter attack down the innings.

Bats_Entertainment

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1849 on: December 06, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »

Blame anything. But, whatever you do, don't say "too much 20/20 cricket."

mattdawson

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #1850 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »

If England were to make a change, personally I'd be swapping vince for Livingstone from the lions.

Somebody needs to counter punch. From what I've seen he seems like a guy who might be up for it. eg scored 68 out of 109 vs somerset, followed that with 168 after somerset had lead over 150. also rememeber he took a catch vs yorkshire in t20 turns straight to western terrace and basically says up yours. That's the type of person I want playing somebody who might give them some back and possibly show some mental strength instead of driving to 1st slip every innings or getting trapped on your crease line LBW like the next in line.

Hes a very destructive batter when he gets going, no ground is big enough. had an average of 47 last season 2 hundreds and 3 50s vs Vince who had avg >33, 2 hundreds 1 50.

Unfortunately Bayliss words when asked about any changes: "No, I don't think so, there's no real need to panic."

Kulli

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Herr Kaleun
« Reply #1851 on: December 06, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »

If England were to make a change, personally I'd be swapping vince for Livingstone from the lions.

Somebody needs to counter punch. From what I've seen he seems like a guy who might be up for it. eg scored 68 out of 109 vs somerset, followed that with 168 after somerset had lead over 150. also rememeber he took a catch vs yorkshire in t20 turns straight to western terrace and basically says up yours. That's the type of person I want playing somebody who might give them some back and possibly show some mental strength instead of driving to 1st slip every innings or getting trapped on your crease line LBW like the next in line.

Hes a very destructive batter when he gets going, no ground is big enough. had an average of 47 last season 2 hundreds and 3 50s vs Vince who had avg >33, 2 hundreds 1 50.

Unfortunately Bayliss words when asked about any changes: "No, I don't think so, there's no real need to panic."

Possibly unfair, but I think what counts against LL is how out of his dept he looked in those T20 he played this summer.
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1852 on: December 06, 2017, 11:16:42 AM »

Australia aren't a particularly better team than England, just home conditions and the English batting lineup not converting starts is the difference - the entire England top 7 are fully capable of playing the Aussie bowlers, they're just not making starts count which is key in Australia. Imagine these teams playing at Trent Bridge/Edgbaston/Old Trafford and tell me England wouldn't be winning easily. Runs needed please, whether that means someone new coming in or just the current lineup remembering how to bat between 40-100. A team in Root's image at the moment, perhaps Stoneman Vince and Malan need a good chat with Graham Gooch rather than Ramprakash.
HS: 123, BB: 7-20

manno

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #1853 on: December 06, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »

Edge..... whatever you've had on your porridge this morning, i want some!

"Australia aren't a particularly better team than England"

"Just home conditions"

I wonder what 5-0 looks like when they are actually a better side.  :)

ppccopener

• Forum Legend
« Reply #1854 on: December 06, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »

Manno can you give it up with your porridge references England is not Goldilocks and the three bears

Your kidding yourself if you think Australia are a different class to us

Home conditions count for a lot. Recent oz teams cannot play the moving ball over here, pace and bounce away and we struggle

Your pace attack is good,thats all really

manno

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #1855 on: December 06, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »

Truth be i dont know what you eat for breakfast. Not sure how much of an appetite you had this morning anyway.

Regardless, commentators, both english and australian have remarked how familiar the gabba should have been to the away side. Bordering on un-Australian. And even Adelaide in its uniqueness was far from traditional. Bring the duke over, bring some rain and grey sky while your at it. Class above? Not sure i used that language. Maybe they just made more runs and took more wickets. Thats all. And of course we are less competitive over there than you are, but we are more competitive over there than you are over here. Whatever you make of that is up to you.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #1856 on: December 06, 2017, 01:11:01 PM »

In regards to home conditions and who is really a better side - if england manage to win a game or two I'll agree that it's basically even . But if a team regularly loses 5-0 away they cant be considered 'basically the same' as a side who loses 2-3 or 1-3 , can they ?
At the moment i think oz would beat eng on a few more types of tracks than eng would beat oz , although i dont think there's a massive gap or anything like that . Both teams fragility with the bat will always result in a fair few close contests .

six and out

• County 1st XI
    • MKCC website
« Reply #1857 on: December 06, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »

I really can't believe there hasn't been more talk on here, or elsewhere about Root's decision to bowl 1st.

Maybe because we played so badly it is masking it.... that it just simply didn't matter.

If it hadn't rained and shortened the 2nd day - and the Oz bowlers lost the chance to bowl in the night conditions - this match wouldn't have gotten to day 5, i really don't think Root actually trusts his fellow batters to bat a day and a half. Otherwise surely you send out a strong message of we will bat 1st for a day and half and then give Jimmy etc... the best night conditions and scoreboard pressure to bowl the Aussies out. You saw what happened when we actually did that!

Anyways rant over  :( :(

What does everyone want to do for the next test??

No one really putting their hand up from the Lions - the 2 games they played -

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/531328

https://www.ecb.co.uk/matches/7226

Kulli

• World Cup Winner
  • Herr Kaleun
« Reply #1858 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:14 PM »

I really can't believe there hasn't been more talk on here, or elsewhere about Root's decision to bowl 1st.

Maybe because we played so badly it is masking it.... that it just simply didn't matter.

If it hadn't rained and shortened the 2nd day - and the Oz bowlers lost the chance to bowl in the night conditions - this match wouldn't have gotten to day 5, i really don't think Root actually trusts his fellow batters to bat a day and a half. Otherwise surely you send out a strong message of we will bat 1st for a day and half and then give Jimmy etc... the best night conditions and scoreboard pressure to bowl the Aussies out. You saw what happened when we actually did that!

Anyways rant over  :( :(

What does everyone want to do for the next test??

No one really putting their hand up from the Lions - the 2 games they played -

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/531328

https://www.ecb.co.uk/matches/7226

In the interests of fairness, england also only got 1 over with the new nut on day one rather than 10, due to rain.
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

Seniorplayer

• Forum Legend
« Reply #1859 on: December 06, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »

England lost this on the afternoon of the first day England bowled poorly after Anderson and Broad  had finish After putting Aus in Root knows he was let down.
Also give the Aus bowlers some credit when the pitch was flat there extra pace made all the difference.
Also Lyon managed  to get turn pace and bounce.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:58:33 PM by Seniorplayer »
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 199

Advertise on CBF