Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 198

Author Topic: Ashes 2017-18  (Read 65631 times)

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ashes 2017-18
« Reply #1860 on: December 06, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

I really can't believe there hasn't been more talk on here, or elsewhere about Root's decision to bowl 1st.

I did and thought that the decision was a poor one. Root is a great batsman but doesn't seem to have instincts of a good skipper. We shall see more on that as the Ashes progress.

golders

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+10)
« Reply #1861 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »

If we had batted first in those conditions,England would have been rolled for sub 200,don't think the toss made an iota of difference. Root was let down by his bowlers.The only mistake he made was not bowling Anderson when we had the Aussies 7 down on day one. I don't blame him that he has zero confidence in his side's batting either!

adb club cricketer

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #1862 on: December 06, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »

I wonder why always there is talk about finding a batting partner to Cook, when they should be actually talking about Cook himself. The guy can't handle good pace/swing bowling and good spin either. A youngster would have performed as much as Cook did or maybe even better.

England should dare to drop Cook based on current form and let him back into the team based on performance.

Regarding Stokes, he must be such a dumb cricketer to let his own behavior harm his blossoming career. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:49:29 PM by adb club cricketer »

brokenbat

• International Captain
« Reply #1863 on: December 06, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »

KP instead of Malan in this lineup.....

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #1864 on: December 06, 2017, 05:13:21 PM »

KP instead of Malan in this lineup.....

As an aussie i think that's a terrible idea !

Cook , stoneman , hammeed , root , kp , stokes , bairstow , ali , woakes, broad,  anderson. .....starts to look good again doesn't it ?

alexhilly1492

• International Captain
« Reply #1865 on: December 06, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »

As an aussie i think that's a terrible idea !

Cook , stoneman , hammeed , root , kp , stokes , bairstow , ali , woakes, broad,  anderson. .....starts to look good again doesn't it ?

Hameed, stoneman, root, bairstow, stokes, malan, ali, woakes, overton, broad, anderson

i wouldnt be surprised if we see something like this in the next 12 months and its not bad either!  (stokes to be replaced by curran or ball depending on cps verdict/trial)
HS: 61*
BB: 7-4-9-5, 7.3-0-29-5

Calzehbhoy

• International Captain
« Reply #1866 on: December 06, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »

Hameed, stoneman, root, bairstow, stokes, malan, ali, woakes, overton, broad, anderson

I'd be surprised if we see much more of Overton this series let alone in the summer. Don't think Root rates his that highly with the ball as shown by his couple of overs in the second innings.

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1867 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »

I'd be surprised if we see much more of Overton this series let alone in the summer. Don't think Root rates his that highly with the ball as shown by his couple of overs in the second innings.

Dunno   This was his first test based on these two tests there's little to choose between him and woakes with both bat and ball

ppccopener

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #1868 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »

Root will always go to broad and Jimmy when things get tough. Overton seemed to do ok and did pitch the ball up a bit further-we were too short in the first innings. Woakes got 4 in the second innings which was pretty good.

We have relied on Mo as well and he is not fit and/or injured still. How many wickets he would get in Oz is debatable anyway, Lyon is bowling well he gets a bit more on the ball than Mo does.

I think myself if anyone on here is looking at the bowlers you are looking in the wrong place. It's the batting!

300 and even 250 is ok in England and not ok away....too many times our bowlers have bailed us out, it caught up with us in India and same here.

What changes? None I can see, Bairstow 6, Ali 7 maybe....

Wood maybe if he is fit but it will be a desperate move is he is called up, he hasn't played a five day test for ages.

Root as captain is trying to stay in the game for as long as possible, an old well worn tactic for test matches, I don't blame him at all for bowling first, to me he has been let down a bit by the bowlers but mostly by batsmen not prepared to bat a long time

This exact reason may be why Ballance is on the tour, he does have some guts whatever anyone thinks of him.

six and out

• County 1st XI
    • MKCC website
« Reply #1869 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:46 PM »

For Perth - what i would like to see - but i know won't happen  ;)

Cook
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Livingstone/Lawrence/Gubbins - a young RHB from the Lions
Foakes wk
Woakes
Overton/Wood
Broad
Anderson

Vince and Mo out - Lions RHB and Foakes in

Vince never was and never will be a Test no. 3 batter - Root should be batting 3, Bairstow higher and without the gloves. The new RHB from the Lions comes in at 6. We don't have anyone better on tour so why not give 1 of them a go. They need to be RH to combat Lyon.

Mo isn't fit to bowl - you can see he is getting no revs on the ball - and Lyon is all over him like a cheap suit when he bats. So Foakes comes in at 7 and takes the gloves.

Only other possible change is bring in Wood for some gas but i was impressed with Overton on debut so not sure.

Tailendfielder

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #1870 on: December 06, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »

Id pick the same 11 and demand they grow a pair. Its best 11 available, Australia are not that much better than us, if at all. Just need to rise too the occasion. Deliver their skills at cruitial moments rather when theyre 200 behind.

Ali is best spinner weve got. No point in selecting a different spinner. If his unable to bowl in oz then we should pick another seamer.

LateBloomer

• First XI Captain
« Reply #1871 on: December 06, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »

Id pick the same 11 and demand they grow a pair. Its best 11 available, Australia are not that much better than us, if at all. Just need to rise too the occasion. Deliver their skills at cruitial moments rather when theyre 200 behind.

Ali is best spinner weve got. No point in selecting a different spinner. If his unable to bowl in oz then we should pick another seamer.

Couldn't have said it better

I would argue that the extra 5mph from Aus seam attack makes a huge difference in Aus conditions but from the keeper up i think the teams are very equal. England boys need to front up and show some grit

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1872 on: December 06, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »

Root will always go to broad and Jimmy when things get tough. Overton seemed to do ok and did pitch the ball up a bit further-we were too short in the first innings. Woakes got 4 in the second innings which was pretty good.

We have relied on Mo as well and he is not fit and/or injured still. How many wickets he would get in Oz is debatable anyway, Lyon is bowling well he gets a bit more on the ball than Mo does.

I think myself if anyone on here is looking at the bowlers you are looking in the wrong place. It's the batting!

300 and even 250 is ok in England and not ok away....too many times our bowlers have bailed us out, it caught up with us in India and same here.

What changes? None I can see, Bairstow 6, Ali 7 maybe....

Wood maybe if he is fit but it will be a desperate move is he is called up, he hasn't played a five day test for ages.

Root as captain is trying to stay in the game for as long as possible, an old well worn tactic for test matches, I don't blame him at all for bowling first, to me he has been let down a bit by the bowlers but mostly by batsmen not prepared to bat a long time

This exact reason may be why Ballance is on the tour, he does have some guts whatever anyone thinks of him.

Don't forget though England still failed to take 20 wickets at times in conditions which suited there bowling that's why  on the first day Root  asked Aus  to have a bat.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #1873 on: December 06, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »

Stokes 0/39 off 7 , 34 with the bat , in latest match vs Auckland.
In oz news , mitch marsh added to squad ( even though he only returned to bowling a couple weeks ago .

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1874 on: December 06, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »

Although  there's little difference in the batting the extra pace  plus the ability to  be  more consistent at putting the ball in the right areas gives  the OZ bowlers on Aus wickets the edge over England.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:39:15 PM by Seniorplayer »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 198

Advertise on CBF