Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gray Nicolls Fibretec geeky question...  (Read 792 times)

DorsetDan

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Gray Nicolls Fibretec geeky question...
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »

Hi all,

Ignoring the sacrilege of a fibre scuff on this forum... I wonder if someone can help my locate a specific fibre scuff sheet? @Vitas Cricket @Uzi Sports @VKS ?

Most fibre scuffs look like the one on the left with the thicker strands going horizontally. What I'm trying to buy again is one like the one on the right where the thicker fibre strands go vertically and the smaller strands are more densely packed in.

Both are Gray Nicolls fibretec sheets but I haven't been able to find anything similar to the one on the right since. It's not just the direction of the thicker fibres, but also that this is the thinnest sheet I've found and it looks better IMO than the generic style since the smaller fibres are very closely packed together. It just seems like a better quality scuff.

Any ideas or anyone come across the style I'm after?

Sad, but there you go  :(  :)

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
Re: Gray Nicolls Fibretec geeky question...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »

I love niche stuff like this!
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »

I agree, also with similar tapes I reckon that sort is much less difficult to get off afterwards, less fibres left sticking.

Could this be what you're looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-Roll-Cricket-Bat-Repair-Fiberglass-Tape-150mm-50M-Self-Adhesive-Anti-Scuff/162636269326?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

I agree, also with similar tapes I reckon that sort is much less difficult to get off afterwards, less fibres left sticking.

Could this be what you're looking for? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGE-Roll-Cricket-Bat-Repair-Fiberglass-Tape-150mm-50M-Self-Adhesive-Anti-Scuff/162636269326?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Tighter packed fibres , but still horizontal.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »

Each to his own . I hate the look of the one you're after . Can't see the grains /willow as well . Although a thinner sheet is always a good thing, feel wise ( somehow , i feel i will regret that last comment  :D ;)).
But , ultimately,  you're using a fibre scuff , so you're on the right team ! Go fibre !

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »

Tighter packed fibres , but still horizontal.

The direction of the fibres isn't necessarily important but I thought it might help narrow down the sheet I like from a load of GN fibre sheets on a shelf somewhere... so long as it is super thin, high quality and dense fibres I'm happy

The problem with the ebay ones I've tried from various places is they aren't the same quality and disintegrate trying to get them off again. They also don't generally have straight fibres and are all over the place which doesn't do good things for my OCD  :(  :) Both GN ones I pictured are much nicer than anything else I've tried
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:44:55 PM by DorsetDan »

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:28:08 PM »

Each to his own . I hate the look of the one you're after . Can't see the grains /willow as well . Although a thinner sheet is always a good thing, feel wise ( somehow , i feel i will regret that last comment  :D ;)).
But , ultimately,  you're using a fibre scuff , so you're on the right team ! Go fibre !

Not being able to see through the scuff is helpful for an ugly goer  ;) Also, the tightly packed one looks much smarter than the run of the mill style IMO.

Maybe we need some pro fibre sheet pics to really geek out on this  :D

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »

The direction of the fibres isn't necessarily important but I thought it might help narrow down the sheet I like from a load of GN fibre sheets on a shelf somewhere... so long as it is super thin, high quality and dense fibres I'm happy

The problem with the ebay ones I've tried from various places is they aren't the same quality and disintegrate trying to get them off again. They also don't generally have straight fibres and are all over the place which doesn't do good things for my OCD  :(  :)

if you'd mentioned this while in oz i would have said get a 50m roll off jpgavan . cheap , thin , good quality , straight/ocd compliant fibres .

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »

yes . pro fibre sheets pics ! anyone ?

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »

yes . pro fibre sheets pics ! anyone ?

i suppose the jpgavan are sorta 'pro fibre sheets' ... he does a lot of pro refurbs .

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »

i suppose the jpgavan are sorta 'pro fibre sheets' ... he does a lot of pro refurbs .

Look almost identical to what I'm after, albeit rotated 90 degrees. @JPGavan where do your fibre scuffs come from if you don't mind sharing? Would be interested to know if I could get some in the UK

RhysH

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 01:05:07 PM »

Look almost identical to what I'm after, albeit rotated 90 degrees. @JPGavan where do your fibre scuffs come from if you don't mind sharing? Would be interested to know if I could get some in the UK
He was last active late June mate  :)

GoodLeave

• International Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »

I'm going to start a thread called "How do you oil your bat? Left handed or Right handed?"

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »

I'm going to start a thread called "How do you oil your bat? Left handed or Right handed?"

You just use one hand? Dive in with both hands and get it everywhere!

No but seriously... who here keeps a bat long enough to worry about oiling it ;)

tom line

• County 1st XI
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »

@DorsetDan
The stuff JPGavan uses is "Gold Brand" if that's of any help ? A trawl through google may find it but I'm not sure.
I'd imagine it's imported from India probably from Anthem sports who he seems to have quite good links with,
Though I'm fairly certain JPGavan had roles for sale via his website for 50 dollars or something like that; so probably wouldn't be that expensive in the long run to buy one from him, even with shipping could still be a good deal

Edit:
Just checked his site, you can get a 45 metre roll shipped to the UK for 80 dollars, so around 50 including delivery could be worth it
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:43:21 PM by tom line »
Pages: [1] 2

Advertise on CBF