Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Pet hates  (Read 2744 times)

Big Mac

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pet hates
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2017, 11:08:13 AM »

I understand your point and to a large degree I agree. I also find it odd that people ask for their guard with their bat and then move it to scratch it in with their spike. How accurate will that be?????
I do often open and tap in a mark at the crease, but I'm also a crease tapper and that makes a mark parallel with the stumps about 6 inches behind the crease. I find this mark stays my whole innings and then it provides a good reference point if I want to move to a different guard and I don't need to ask the umpire.
If you don't ask for a guard the suspicion is you're a bit of a slogger or a total rabbit.

Yup! Then add the fact that whether your guard is accurate depends on whether the umpire is stood exactly in the same spot, it's all a mess.

As for the slogger/rabbit assumptions, good. Makes it funnier when you cream a textbook cover drive for four  ;)

Well, that's what I assume. I'm still waiting for that moment...

You don't need to make your mark by digging a small trench also the  mention  of trigger movements  is somewhat digressing from the original point of the reason why  batsman mark a  guard .

Right but you still haven't explained why making a mark of any sort is better than using your own eyes.

As for the trigger movement point being a digression, when it's so obviously counter-productive to the aims of taking guard then it absolutely is relevant to the discussion.

shadowlight

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2017, 04:38:45 PM »

Bowler asking the captain for 2 slip, gully, point and spraying everything down the leg side.

JK Lewis

• First XI Captain
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2017, 08:01:30 AM »

I don't have many pet hates, but there's nothing worse than getting caught by a fella wearing black trainers.

Long hop 1987

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2017, 10:05:01 AM »

I don't have many pet hates, but there's nothing worse than getting caught by a fella wearing black trainers.

I played in a pre season warm up last season I got to about 15 and pushed one down the ground to mid on's left hand. There was a kid about 14 fielding their in black trainers I thought he won't be much good, there's an easy quick single there. Only for him to swoop down pick up one handed and run me out with a direct hit and the bowlers end. Lesson Learnt

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »

Actually there is, getting caught by a bloke wearing black trainers with grey trackies and a white polo shirt...
Not speaking from personal experience, but I was worried the teammate involved was going to top himself!

JB

• International Captain
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »

Actually there is, getting caught by a bloke wearing black trainers with grey trackies and a white polo shirt...
Not speaking from personal experience, but I was worried the teammate involved was going to top himself!

I hope he juggled the catch for ten seconds before finally holding on!!  :D

richyreed

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »

Similar to this, I got my opening partner run out second ball of the match. I pushed what looked like an easy single to left of a big, older gent who was wearing a polo at cover. Call for one and look across half way down the pitch only to see him move round with the speed of usian bolt, one hand pick up and directly hit the stumps. I guess there was a reason he was fielding at cover! Lesson learnt.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Advertise on CBF