Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 150

Author Topic: Ashes 2017-18  (Read 46131 times)

Jacky, ridhuan, alex_x and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

ppccopener

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Ashes 2017-18
« Reply #1905 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »

Mills is a brown trouser stuff but he only bowls 4 overs at a time, I suppose it could be carnage while it lasted  :)

2 day tests !

edge

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1906 on: December 07, 2017, 06:46:43 PM »

Absolutely bizarre that England have the chance of playing a tour game and only Moeen is playing from the test side. Understand about resting bowlers in between tests, but all the batsmen are feeling bang in form are they? Hard to say whether that means the top 7 spots are all safe or that it's all up for grabs if someone scores big.

ppccopener

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #1907 on: December 07, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »

I'm not sure myself we can just draft in anyone from the Lions without being named in the original test squad(without and injury) but on the basis he rest of the forum think we can I'm going with it.

Thing  is thou....if we did that :

It would be an admission the selectors got a couple of batsmen wrong originally and 2:

A batsman leapfrogs gaz ballance the selectors got it wrong X 2...
As in what is the point of Gaz being there(don't all reply to that at once)

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #1908 on: December 07, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »

Absolutely bizarre that England have the chance of playing a tour game and only Moeen is playing from the test side. Understand about resting bowlers in between tests, but all the batsmen are feeling bang in form are they? Hard to say whether that means the top 7 spots are all safe or that it's all up for grabs if someone scores big.
This is ridiculous, Cook, Vince and Malan should all play.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw

adb club cricketer

« Reply #1909 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »

You must be mad, cant play good pace or swing? Or spin?? Has 11600 test runs with hundreds and double hundreds against Aus & SA who have the quickest test attacks of the last few years, hundreds against India & Sri Lanka, Pakistan away from Home and plenty of Home hundreds where the ball swings more than any other country.

Is he in great nick, no is he still one of the worlds best openers? Hell yes based on 11600 runs in 140 matches over nearly a decade.
The whole England batting line up is at the moment pants but you are mad thinking about dropping Cook.

I hope people can express their opinions here without fear of being branded mad or lunatic. Anyway, your response made me interested to dig up Cook's stats over last 5 years. This is what I found:

Inns    Ave
in Australia         14     22
in Bangladesh      4      22.25
in England          64     45.26
in India              12     31.91
in New Zealand    5      38
in South Africa     8      23
in U.A.E.              5      90
in West Indies      6      53.6

The above table shows he has been quite bad in almost all major away countries, something which you wouldn't expect from someone who has made 11000 runs. Why would you want to have someone with a 22 avg. in Aus and SA as your 2nd option after Root, I am surprised, in a tour to Aus. No doubt there is great respect and love for the man who scores 11k career runs but unfortunately stats on recent form don't suggest he can help the team win. Given that he is senior member of the team it is even more important for him to show his performance, more so on difficult away tours.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:42:29 PM by adb club cricketer »

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1910 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »

Mills is a brown trouser stuff but he only bowls 4 overs at a time, I suppose it could be carnage while it lasted  :)

2 day tests !

Yep it's a shame his back isn't upto five day tests.

six and out

• County 1st XI
    • MKCC website
« Reply #1911 on: December 07, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »

This is a hilarious article, perhaps the most optimistic ever written. I particularly liked the bit about whether Mason Crane actually exists.

http://www.thecricketer.com/default.aspx?pageid=1223&catid=71&topicid=43660

Northern monkey

• International Captain
« Reply #1912 on: December 07, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »

England need to find cooks replacement
If your looking at past performances and statistics etc, then we might as well bring kp back or flintoff

And I've never seen mills bowl his quicker delivery
Always seems to bowl his variations

And ballance? No
Hales? In tests no,,,(and don't get me started on what those two tools did on their night out and whether or not they deserve the chance to represent their country again)

Selectors have their work cut out

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1913 on: December 07, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »

Mark Wood in the two day match team.
Can he bowl himself into the third test maybe in place of  Woakes 6 wickets  from 2 two  tests at  nearly 40 runs each
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:37:49 PM by Seniorplayer »

Tailendfielder

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #1914 on: December 07, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »

This northern chap talks some sence. I dont think Wood is that good. We just seem to say players weve not seen for a while or ever (for England) are the answer to everything. No one seems to bring Woods bowling average for England up.

its taken some time to find Strausss replacement and their are not many openers we,ve not tried before. Leave Cook for now. Bad series or not.

csnew

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #1915 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:20 PM »

Woods over rated, even when he was bowling at 90mph he hardly troubled the batsmen. Last time he played he was down to 86mph.

Broads the biggest concern, dont think hes taken a 5 wicket haul in over a year. His record hasnt been great

golders

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+10)
« Reply #1916 on: December 07, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »

I've never seen Wood regularly bowl 90mph.The odd one might hit 90 but I'd be more to say he was slippery,rather than out and out pace like Cummins or Stark.
So we've been looking for a new opening partner for Cook for ages,now we've found Stoneman who,despite looking decent and gutsy,hasn't yet scored a ton.
But now we need a replacement partner for Stoneman, apparently...!
We also need a replacement spinner for Ali,as he can't spin the ball anymore. And a replacement batsman for Ali,because he can't bat against,erm,off spin!
Where are the positives,someone?anyone?!

Jlscarroll17

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #1917 on: December 08, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »

The only other opening option I can really think of that they haven't tried is Rory burns, very consistent over the past 3/4 seasons scoring plenty of championship runs, in the spinning department they opted to leave the best spinner in the country at home (well placed in the lions squad) and decided to take a lad that hadn't played much 4 day cricket. Again would Samit Patel have been an option for a middle order batsman, bowls a bit and a half decent bat
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:32:10 AM by Jlscarroll17 »
Hundred scores 186*, 124, 113*, 109

six and out

• County 1st XI
    • MKCC website
« Reply #1918 on: December 08, 2017, 07:55:50 AM »

I've never seen Wood regularly bowl 90mph.The odd one might hit 90 but I'd be more to say he was slippery,rather than out and out pace like Cummins or Stark.
So we've been looking for a new opening partner for Cook for ages,now we've found Stoneman who,despite looking decent and gutsy,hasn't yet scored a ton.
But now we need a replacement partner for Stoneman, apparently...!
We also need a replacement spinner for Ali,as he can't spin the ball anymore. And a replacement batsman for Ali,because he can't bat against,erm,off spin!
Where are the positives,someone?anyone?!

I agree about Wood but you have to ask... is he different to the others? Will he at least cause them a few issues? Etc... because at the moment we don't look close to taking 20 wickets. And regarding the 90mph we don't have anyone at all in county cricket who regularly hits that let alone on the tour.

Opening pair will be Cook and Stoneman for as long as Cook wants it to be I'd suspect. Cook is just in one of his ruts of form.

Mo hasn't bowled well but he isn't fully match fit - no matter what they say - and it is being exaggerated by how well Lyon is bowling. Mo will be playing for England for a long time.

As for positives.... hmmmm

FattusCattus

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Bend it like Fattus!!
« Reply #1919 on: December 08, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21707649/moeen-ali-skip-bowling-perth-warm-up 

Surely this is getting ridiculous now - if he can't bowl effectively, they need to draft another spinner in, and not keep hoping 'he will heal'. what also seems to be ridiculous is that the Lions aren't playing many games to allow their spinners to get any overs under their belts and get used to Aussie conditions.

So if they've locked Crane on the tour bus or forgotten he's in the party, they have no other options and no variety in the attack.

This doesn't smack of particularly good planning or management.
If you tolerate this, then your baked goods will be next.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 150

Advertise on CBF