Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Are you moving clubs?  (Read 19882 times)

edge

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are you moving clubs?
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2017, 10:22:16 AM »

I'd always try and play where you think you'll enjoy it most, whatever that means for you.

I know a lad who comes from London to the west country every week to bat 9 and bowl the odd few overs in an ECB prem side, he loves that and clearly didn't enjoy it when he was playing a bigger role in a 2s side, but I think it's fair to say most of us would hate that! Personally, I always want to be getting a good game above all else, which can be tricky as an all-rounder to find the balance between standard and getting both your batting/bowling in.

In your situation, bit close to the start of the season to be thinking about moving isn't it?! I'd consider sticking where you are and seeing if the new club will let you train with them but play just friendly cricket for them this year, which would hopefully give you a good idea where you fit in and if you like playing with them or not so you can make the right decision next year.

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2017, 10:25:08 AM »

Ultimately I want to play at the best standard I can whilst having an impact.

I've been told by Vice Chairman who I've only met twice that I'd have an impact on Saturday teams and after one session apparently the lads rated me as a bowler. But I'm bound to be told that?

No don't think they would mislead you but unless one of them is match day Captain or vice how much weight does there rating of your bowling carry on matchday.Also hope everything works out   successfully  for you.

mo_town

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »

Unless you are planning to be a pro, or break some premiership league records, my humble opinion is to play where you get the most out of it.

Most of us work all week, get stressy, have to deal with kids / teens / wives, and look to our Saturday's cricket as something pleasurable, a well-deserved treat at the end of a week.

Therefore, play where you enjoy it the most, with people that you like and at a level where you are genuinely contributing and not just making up the numbers. The rest doesn't matter.

Fully agree. The only down side to it is that in lower divisions, sometimes you end up playing against teams which mostly consist of promising colts and old timers..playing against such oppositions can lead to more frustration and feel like you wasted your entire day. One can only enjoy if there is a fine balance of enjoyment and competitiveness.

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2017, 02:52:54 PM »

Fully agree. The only down side to it is that in lower divisions, sometimes you end up playing against teams which mostly consist of promising colts and old timers..playing against such oppositions can lead to more frustration and feel like you wasted your entire day. One can only enjoy if there is a fine balance of enjoyment and competitiveness.

This old timer enjoys scoring runs against anyone.

Northern monkey

• International Captain
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »

Yeah and this old timer too

ppccopener

« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »

me too. at my age I will happily take runs off a non cricketer in black trainers bowling pies.

Northern monkey

• International Captain
« Reply #171 on: April 29, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

First game for new club today
Cracking bunch of lads, glad I chose not to retire,, it's been a long winter, and it was nice to feel bat on ball

And I got to bat for a bit with Mr Hosk himself

LEACHY48

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #172 on: April 29, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

First game for the new club - great game and bunch of lads - great grounds and a better standard than I used to play at - and my opening partner owns his own cricket business - great deal that is!

DorsetDan

• County 1st XI
« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

Oops wrong thread
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:28:22 PM by DorsetDan »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Advertise on CBF