Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Payntr Cricket boots  (Read 11484 times)

edge

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Payntr Cricket boots
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2017, 05:00:06 PM »

How about ceramic? Not sure they'd last too long, but they'd definitely be hugely lighter than standard cricket ones
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131570018169

Alternatively,  Asics strike rate spikes would be a decent weight saving over two boots if anyone can actually track down a set:

@Biggie Smalls , talking about this got me thinking, so today I did this with an old set of boots! Just standard steel ones but they weigh sod all, gave them a try in the garden and dammmn they're grippy, and ridiculously light. Maybe even too grippy, but I reckon I'll give batting in them a go next friendly game I play.

Bwcc

• First XI Captain
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2017, 05:50:27 PM »

They look absolutely lethal

Alvaro

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »

You'll be popular if you wear those in the clubhouse at tea!

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »

You're not wrong, even a few paces from my door to grass I got very conscious anything I went near was getting spiked! They may or may not be be an improvement over normal cricket spikes, but not actually being able to wear them anywhere could well mean they're not worth the bother.

@Alvaro - spikes in the clubhouse at tea?! What kind of bloke do you take me for?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 09:53:01 PM by edge »

Philip@Aero

• Club Cricketer
    • Aero Cricket
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2017, 10:04:46 PM »

The only thing I would say about putting running spikes into the shoes is that there is a risk that the lack of a base plate around the stud will cause the whole thread to tear out when you persistently change direction (like if you are a bowler).  Nike tried this in the very early days of their shoe development prior to entering the cricket market.  The fast bowlers who were involved in the devlopment tore the soles to shreds and eventually Nike gave up on the idea.  The base plate adds weight but it also adds resistance to the stress of changes in direction.  While it is simplistic to say this, sprinters and track runners typically run in one direction and don't turn 180 degrees and sprint in the other direction.  Anyway, just a thought for you to consider as you ponder weight vs cost of new shoes.
All you need to know about Aero cricket

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2017, 12:26:37 AM »

The only thing I would say about putting running spikes into the shoes is that there is a risk that the lack of a base plate around the stud will cause the whole thread to tear out when you persistently change direction (like if you are a bowler).  Nike tried this in the very early days of their shoe development prior to entering the cricket market.  The fast bowlers who were involved in the devlopment tore the soles to shreds and eventually Nike gave up on the idea.  The base plate adds weight but it also adds resistance to the stress of changes in direction.  While it is simplistic to say this, sprinters and track runners typically run in one direction and don't turn 180 degrees and sprint in the other direction.  Anyway, just a thought for you to consider as you ponder weight vs cost of new shoes.
Yes that's a fair point, the thought had occurred! Interesting to know Nike tried it, I remember Asics did a batting  a shoe with track type spikes a few years ago but they were definitely not for the quicks. These are old boots so I'm not fussed about their lifespan, just interested to see how it goes for batting - definitely sticking to my usual bowling boots for bowling.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »

I might try this too...my old boots are the exact same asics too . Perhaps they might be a bit long , that may explain some of the ultra grippiness . If i can find shorter ill def try it .Might be ok to bat in . Look lethal though for fielding , i can imagine diving and spiking myself in the leg ! I'm sure they would be helpful with aerating the soil/outfield etc - if your ground doesn't drain well then just do a few laps in these bad boys and all wiil be well and dry . 

Appreciate the experimental efforts @edge .

I would still like to find an ultralight spike replacement that doesn't have any of the negatives previously discussed though . I would buy titanium spikes with proper threads if they existed , i know that much . The search ultimately continues....  ( until then , i have 3 pairs of sl22 boosts to get through ) .

Gurujames

• County 1st XI
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »

You could use a grinder to reduce the length and sharpness of the spikes.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2017, 03:02:14 PM »

Btw @edge , what size are those spikes ?
... i just saved some to my ebay cart and will buy them in a week or so ( ceramic ones ) . I guessed 7mm would be the closest,  having just looked at my asics , but maybe 5mm , not sure . I'm gunna try out the 'christmas tree' style instead of the 'pyramid' style because the pyramids look like they'd be useless once they wear down  a bit ( too broad a surface to still be a spike ) whereas the christmas trees look like even if they wore down a fair bit it would still be spike like .
Anyway edge , thanks for rekindling my interest in this .... i did look into it , then got put off by 'what if they don't fit /get stuck/snap' etc..... but stuff it , i have old boots i can experiment with and the spikes only cost $12 shipped , so what the hell .  :)

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »

Shorter is easily available, those are 12mm - 9mm and 6mm are common sizes. I reckon omnilite ceramic spikes would probably be the winners for actually replacing cricket spikes full time if this works, 1/3 the weight of steel and available in a less spiky shape if the sharpness turns out to be an issue:

Edit: ha @Biggie Smalls , great minds clearly think alike! I bought these because they were 2.50 in a local shop, but the ceramics look the ultimate. They definitely fit, that was my main concern. Beyond that it's a matter of trying them out!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 03:06:46 PM by edge »

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »

Yeah... they're the xmas tree style i was talking about . 5, 7, 9, 12 mm were the options i could find , so yeah , I'll buy some ceramic xmas tress in 7mm . ....I'm actually looking forward to getting some now  :D
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Advertise on CBF