Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Counter balance on cricket bats..do they really work?  (Read 2574 times)

procricket

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+32)
Re: Counter balance on cricket bats..do they really work?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »

engineer by trade but its Friday buttie time so brain turn off now

ask Dan what he does he a bit more precision than a engineer .
"Doubt whoever but never doubt yourself"

roco

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »

Sou chef?
The first cricket box was used in 1874.  The first cricket helmet was introduced in 1974. So, it took 100 years for men to twig that their brains were also worth protecting.

edge

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »

Depends on the type of engineering mate ;) Some will fit a boiler and call themselves engineers, some actual engineers work to micron precision. Would actually be very interested to know accuracy though @DorsetDan ! /backontopic

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »

I'm a Medical Engineer... the type that can say big words but can't change a light bulb... or spot a giant red kno... :) Mr Edge is more of a useful proper Engineer :)

I can't find much information on these sensors but similar things that cost several thousands of are not hugely accurate, especially for position and orientation. As I said, the clever stuff is trying to put together good looking data although it might not actually be "good" data if that makes sense?

roco

• Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »

Depends on the type of engineering mate ;) Some will fit a boiler and call themselves engineers, some actual engineers work to micron precision. Would actually be very interested to know accuracy though @DorsetDan ! /backontopic

We have 2 quality engineers at work who can use a vernier so think they are engineers

Does that count?

I'm a poor Cnc engineer so not sure if that counts
The first cricket box was used in 1874.  The first cricket helmet was introduced in 1974. So, it took 100 years for men to twig that their brains were also worth protecting.

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 05:19:11 PM »

I can't find much information on these sensors but similar things that cost several thousands of are not hugely accurate, especially for position and orientation. As I said, the clever stuff is trying to put together good looking data although it might not actually be "good" data if that makes sense?
I'd hazard a guess at not very accurate at all for big red bat knobs, but suspect the interest is in the comparisons between players rather than the raw data? Haven't been watching when it's got used really. I meant interesting to know your work related accuracy tbh ha.

GoodLeave

• International Captain
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

We have 2 quality engineers at work who can use a vernier so think they are engineers

Does that count?

This is CBF. IQ points are worthless here. The only currency of value is "Nerd Points"

No. Of Bats owned x Batting Average = Nerd Points.

If you want me back on topic, I don't think so, think it's all in the mind (And number of Nerd Points)

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »

Surely it's: No. Of Bats owned/ Batting Average = Nerd Points.

Can't be a real nerd if you can score runs ;) :)

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »

Ok , medical engineers , 'proper' engineers , yada yada ... all good stuff . But this is cbf . Shouldn't we be talking Farokh Engineers ?

roco

• Forum Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »

Ok , medical engineers , 'proper' engineers , yada yada ... all good stuff . But this is cbf . Shouldn't we be talking Farokh Engineers ?

He was an engineer to be proud of

procricket

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+32)
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »

Does that count?

Very poor !!!
"Doubt whoever but never doubt yourself"

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »

I meant interesting to know your work related accuracy tbh ha.

:) Whatever is required. In the past week or so its been looking at motion from everything from train collisions to chasing pigs!*

Anyway, back OT, sort of... does anyone have a clip where they've used this knob end data? I haven't seen anything when having the games on in the background while working

*The two are not related

roco

• Forum Legend
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »

pablomarmite

• First XI Captain
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

Right my bat handle split in nets. Bat was 2lb 10 and I felt the one weakness of the bat was a thin handle. I have had the handle replaced by a local guy who has set up to do bat repairs. Potential risk of course but saved on postage. So he had an old woodworm in the work shop and I asked for a similar oval style handle. When I showed to collect it the oval was very large. But the problem was the pick up it definitely wasn't picking up well. I asked him to weigh it and the bat was now 2lb 12oz. Clearly the balance has been affected. When I got home my first thought was to add an old grip to end of handle. This has imo made a difference but now I have a 2lb 14 oz bat. Considering I used a 2lb 5oz Harrow last year I better eat eggs for breakfast tomorrow morning! Be interested to see how I get on tomorrow with it.

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:18 PM »

^ So, now you know why the handle was thin in the first place. ;)

Bats and handles, eventually, break. What matters is the quality of your experience when you go out to bat. With the additional grips, you have now a much heavier bat which could impact your timing. If I were you, I'd take the bat back to the repairer and ask him to shave the handle down to the old thin-ness to restore the old weight and balance. Good luck!

PS: I am not a fan of bat surgery. The original bat maker had his reasons for making the bat with certain weight, feel, and balance and I don't like messing with it. :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:41:59 PM by InternalTraining »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Advertise on CBF