Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leg Spin  (Read 860 times)

Northern monkey

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Leg Spin
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:27:14 AM »

I've been trying to bowl a wrong un, for over 30yrs, very rare I'm brave enough to bowl it in a game
But it's hugely satisfying to bowl it and take a wicket with it

Big Mac

• First XI Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

The second best ever explains it best in my opinion...
https://youtu.be/VRalbzmKIEM

I remember having a lot of trouble with my line when I started playing cricket a year ago, no matter what I did most of my balls landed outside off stump which is bloody useless when you're turning it away.

I watched that MacGill video you linked to and the bit about the back foot being parallel to the crease made all the difference, it was literally the only change I made to my bowling and suddenly everything was landing on middle, middle and off and forcing the batsman to play. It's crazy how the tiniest changes can make such a massive difference.

I've been trying to bowl a wrong un, for over 30yrs, very rare I'm brave enough to bowl it in a game

I still can't bowl a googly reliably over 22 yards, I tried a couple the last time I played a few weeks back and they just came out as leggies with added top spin. My stock ball has a lot of side spin and not much top-spin so I think I'm better off trying to work out how to bowl a slider.

I've messed about with some left-arm wrist spin into the side netting from ten yards away and I actually find it easier to bowl left-handed than I do with my right hand so who knows, maybe that'll be the way to go  :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:35:34 AM by Big Mac »

Nothing2SeeHere

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »

Thats a good video. So much information in there. I'm going to need to watch it several times to get the most out of it.

I have had good mileage from this video of Richie Benaud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYiA2OJiCpw

Because he's coaching rather than explaining from scratch, I find the tweaks and adjustments to be simpler to follow. E.g. the tip about looking over the front shoulder behind the front arm. MacGill says the same point but he uses the feet to get the body perpindicular. For me, looking over the shoulder is an easier self check ( you can't look over your shoulder unless your back foot is along the line of the crease). Same stuff. Different way of explaining it.

brokenbat

• International Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:29 AM »

Better to have a big spinning leggie than bowling a wrong un - take it from me ... I can ONLY bowl googlies. Haha. Grass is always greener...

Woodyspin

• International Captain
  • www.twitter.com/dunamiscricket
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:15 AM »

I actually find the googly pretty easy, the explain it is hard in words, and ever harder to take a video of it properly without direct feedback but here ot goes.

Take a tennis ball, with you finger pointing up spin the ball from right to left (this is your leg spinner). Take the ball again with your fingers pointing down take the ball from left roll your wrist down and from right to left flick the ball out the side. You should then if you're quick enough see the ball spin the other way.

You can do this sitting down!

Watch this video where he's standing there flicking the ball to him self is similar to what im trying to explain

https://youtu.be/_6ToQ5tfYn8
Pages: 1 [2]

Advertise on CBF