Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 2017 stupid comment  (Read 2794 times)

brokenbat

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 2017 stupid comment
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 11:03:02 PM »

Batting in full GN kit  today I hit the ball back past the bowler who runs down the track and has he passes me he said
I bet there's nothing left in the GN shop.

That's actually funny, no?

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+25)
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2017, 11:17:45 PM »

@Seniorplayer doesn't need anyone trying to be funny about his full GN kit. He just wants to look like his favourite player, Chris Woakes, in peace...

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2017, 08:47:26 AM »

It would have been in different circumstances i was taking guard ready to face my first ball distraction tatics and all that

jamielsn15

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 08:55:19 AM »

Here's a pearler from yesterday...

Regulation knick to me, keeping. Bowler, me, slip, mid on, mid off, skipper at deep cover, all go up in unison, startbrunning in. Bat doesn't walk, (their) umpire doesn't give it. Bat turns round, says...

"It's not my responsibility to walk."

Fair to say he got some stick, happily he gave some catching practice to mid off a couple of overs later. A classic case of behaviour in the pro game filtering down
"The more I practice the luckier I get..."

Biggie Smalls

• County 1st XI
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »

Here's a pearler from yesterday...

Regulation knick to me, keeping. Bowler, me, slip, mid on, mid off, skipper at deep cover, all go up in unison, startbrunning in. Bat doesn't walk, (their) umpire doesn't give it. Bat turns round, says...

"It's not my responsibility to walk."

Fair to say he got some stick, happily he gave some catching practice to mid off a couple of overs later. A classic case of behaviour in the pro game filtering down

When you say 'their' umpire i guess you mean one of their players who had to umpire . If so , i think a batsman owes it to his umpiring teammate to walk , thus avoiding potentially uncomfortable /embarrassing situations from poor decisions.  If it was 'their' umpire as in an official umpire provided by that club , then he's got every right to lnot walk/et the umpire earn his keep and make the decision. ...even at an amateur level . It's not a crime or poor sportsmanship to not walk when you  have offical umpires.

Gurujames

• County 1st XI
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:50 AM »

It's not a crime or poor sportsmanship to not walk when you  have offical umpires.
I totally disagree. many of the league umpires will admit to not having the greatest hearing and do it for the love of the game. A good natured game can turn on someone not walking when everyone knows it is out. It is basic cheating to know you are out and not to walk.

skip1973

• International Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2017, 10:55:20 AM »

I totally disagree. many of the league umpires will admit to not having the greatest hearing and do it for the love of the game. A good natured game can turn on someone not walking when everyone knows it is out. It is basic cheating to know you are out and not to walk.
Are the umpires happy to let you stay if you tell them they made a mistake?

Gurujames

• County 1st XI
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2017, 11:02:52 AM »

Are the umpires happy to let you stay if you tell them they made a mistake?
Everyone knows that I walk and I'm happy to accept any decision given. I can take a 'wrong' decision but I couldn't accept scoring runs when I knew I had 'cheated'.

skip1973

• International Captain
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2017, 11:09:03 AM »

Everyone knows that I walk and I'm happy to accept any decision given. I can take a 'wrong' decision but I couldn't accept scoring runs when I knew I had 'cheated'.
Umpires are there to make decisions, good or bad there will be less arguments if you play to their decisions.

Northern monkey

• International Captain
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »

The waking/not walking will always split opinion
I'm not one for walking, unless i know it's 100 per cent out
I've had literally hundreds of appalling decisions both as a batter and a bowler, and know it's an incredibly difficult job to be a perfect umpire, like I said, it's always gonna be controversial whatever .

I had a bowling one a coupla weeks ago, bowled a perfect Yorker first ball, trapping the batsman on his big toe, in front of the stumps.
Umpire fumbles to get his hand? Out of his pocket to give it out.. lush
I bowl another a coupla overs later, even plumber, and he doesn't give it?
Just looked at me like I'd asked to sleep with his wife or something??

Swings and roundabouts

Biggie Smalls

• County 1st XI
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

Funny how not walking is percieved as cheating by some . In any other sport it's 'play to the whistle' - imagine a world cup rugby final and the fly half throws a cut out pass to the unmarked winger , clear , open , nothing but a short stroll to the try line ..... he catches the ball and just hands it over to the ref ' sorry fellas , that pass went forward'  . What bologna! 

Re umpires not having good hearing..... that's their problem , ideally that wouldn't be the case though . Also , as a former umpire i can confidently say that more umpires prefer batsmen not to walk then vise versa .

Biggie Smalls

• County 1st XI
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »

One last thing from me re walking. I've  noticed many 'walkers' who say they couldn't bring themselves to 'cheat' yet they get hit on the thigh pad and it gets given as runs - i don't see them telling the umpire to reverse their decision and give it leg byes..... where's the  consistency?  Better to just leave it to the umps .

Jaffa

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2017, 02:57:45 PM »

Yesterday the lad bowling was shouting 'howzat' for every ball that hit anything. Even for a ball that was nailed through the covers.

Later in the second innings when I clean bowled him, he was still looking for a reason not to be given out. Let's just say I admire his competitive spirit but that's about it.
As smooth as baby Jesus in velvet pants.

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2017, 04:04:16 PM »

Always walked  when I know I am out but now I am thinking of leaving it to the umpires to many sides claiming catches stumpings for example witnessed a wicket keeper claim a stumping by knocking the wickets over with his Knees  before the bowled  ball had reached him then saw the same guy  claim a stumping by taking the bowled ball in front of the stumps.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:05:16 PM by Seniorplayer »

Northern monkey

• International Captain
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »

Oppos had a very vocal!! Fellow northerner in their team yesterday .
Had to listen to the full range of stupid banter from him, but more than made up for it when he came on to bowl.
God knows who or what he thought he was, but anyway , I drove one straight past his left ear, to which he said 'how'd I miss that?'
I said, 'because you closed your eyes and sh@t yourself'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Advertise on CBF