Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Shark Great White Pro Cricket Bat Review  (Read 5972 times)

Gingerbusiness

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Shark Great White Pro Cricket Bat Review
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »

Hi All,

I took the plunge recently with the discount code to buy a top-of-the-line Shark Great White Pro bat. I was slightly disappointed with shipping time as the parcel took two weeks to arrive. First and foremost, it is a LOVELY bat but there are one or two things I am not particularly impressed about but I will cover everything in this review.

The bat below is the bat I received. The bat I asked for was 2'9. This bat, dressed with stickers and a grip comes in at a little over 2'10. I also requested a bat with 10-12 grains, this came with 8. I buy alot of bats, and I fully admit that I am picky, but these are just a few things that make a bit of a difference about the review I give. However, that is all the moaning out of the way.

I think the front view shows how classy the bat looks. I quite like the stickers. I know stickers like this are not cheaply made tat. Someone has taken the time, and money, to invest in good stickers - I think the chrome adds something different. The grains on the bat are a bit wavy and not quite what I was expecting (after seeing the 5-star bat which was posted by shark cricket) but I know that uniformly straight grains is not always possible.

Maybe I am being a bit harsh... Unfortunately, I am a bit of a perfectionist when I am buying for me.

After looking at someone else s post on the Great White, the profile was a little different to what I was expecting. The one posted, I cant remember right now who posted it, looks more like the M&H Amplus shape. This bat certainly has a middle which is a bit lower, reminded me A LOT like a Salix in terms of shape and finish (Flatter face - But asked Chris but he could not confirm or deny!) but definitely that kind of quality - Was very impressed in that aspect.

As previously mentioned, the stickers and finish are of a very high quality and I am very impressed. The bat has been turned and has a lovely little turn mark on the bottom. Reminds me of my Newberys about 20 years ago.

Overall, a very nice bat but to sum up;

Good Bits

Quality Workmanship
Great Finish
Good Balance

Improvement points

Handle is like a twig (Very thin) - I have big hands
Shipping Time
Response to requests over preferences

All in all, I think you would struggle to find a bat of this quality for the price, but service could be better.

Cheers all.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:09:56 AM by Gingerbusiness »

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Willoooowwwww
Re: Shark Great White Pro Cricket Bat Review
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:20 AM »

Holey moley there some big pics!
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

Gingerbusiness

• International Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:30 AM »

Holey moley there some big pics!

Sorry about that mate. Imageshack have set their default to something ridiculous. All sorted now! :D

Chad

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+22)
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »

If they still get Dan to make their bats, I'm not surprised it reminds you of Salix. (I think he worked over at Salix for a bit) He makes a cracking bat! Can't see the pictures, but I'm sure it isn't bad looking!

MJB3

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »

I have had a few bats of Shark, and I would echo your thoughts entirely! Very good quality kit, on of my current GW's is right up  there with the best I have ever owned, and I loved their old softs. But as you say, I have asked for Pro Select bats, I have been given bats with less than 8 grains,which is supposedly the minimum, and have usually requested a 2.7, and been sent a 2.8. I also received 2 GW 5*'s together, and both had completely different profiles!

However, great performing bats, which is what ultimately matters.

Red Ink Cricket

• Forum Sponsor
  • World Cup Winner
  • Red Ink Cricket
    • Red Ink Cricket
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »

Dan isn't making for them as he is in Australia. Unless he made a huge amount before he went out they must be using a new bat maker

Wickets-then-runs

• County 1st XI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »

I can understand why you would be annoyed if the pic on there site showed an Amplus type profile and they delivered this as the middle is much lower. Still looks a beautiful bat but one of the reasons for dealing with a boutique manufacturer is better service than the bigger players. Hope it goes as well as it looks, mate!

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Willoooowwwww
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »

That's better. My iPad just couldn't cope with the big pics. Lol

The face looks lovely,would be happy with the face.
The profile doesn't wow me. Seems to much edge, and not a lot else.

My mate was sponsored by shark a few years a go, we presumed the sharks were rubbish as he used a gn stickered as a shark. But found. Out it was actually the fact they'd sent him the bats not knocked in and he refused to knock em in.
We knocked one in for him, and it was a lovely bat. Abit small compared to today's bats, butt hats not always a bad thing,
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

Gingerbusiness

• International Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »

I can understand why you would be annoyed if the pic on there site showed an Amplus type profile and they delivered this as the middle is much lower. Still looks a beautiful bat but one of the reasons for dealing with a boutique manufacturer is better service than the bigger players. Hope it goes as well as it looks, mate!

I have to admit, the reason I really brought it was a backup to the Amplus-shaped Red Ink John made for me.

With the shape like this, it will probably be going back for a refund or replacement.

Shame though.

Wickets-then-runs

• County 1st XI
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:47 AM »

Don't blame you, mate! You want what you have paid for not what the bat makers wanted to send you...

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Straight up.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »

Sounds rather disappointing.

If the bat maker couldn't meet your specs they should have communicated and managed your expectations in line with their current stock.
Send you a completely different spec is poor and shows a lack of attention to detail.

It may be a great bat, but it's not the bat you ordered. If there are reasons for the lack of attention to detail then you should have been told.

Not up to other forum sponsors/retailers standards. Having said that, the standards expected here are high (as they should be!).

Gingerbusiness

• International Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »

Sounds rather disappointing.

If the bat maker couldn't meet your specs they should have communicated and managed your expectations in line with their current stock.
Send you a completely different spec is poor and shows a lack of attention to detail.

It may be a great bat, but it's not the bat you ordered. If there are reasons for the lack of attention to detail then you should have been told.

Not up to other forum sponsors/retailers standards. Having said that, the standards expected here are high (as they should be!).

Yep. I was a bit disappointed but I emailed them and they said send it back - no hassle or fuss which was good - especially with what I have been through recently.

I am hoping to get one with the Amplus shape with 10 or more grains... Once again, I do not hold much hope of this - not because of Shark but because of a small minority of bat retailers I have been through recently.

PLEASE RESTORE MY FAITH IN BAT RETAILERS, SHARK CRICKET! :)

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Straight up.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »

Yep. I was a bit disappointed but I emailed them and they said send it back - no hassle or fuss which was good - especially with what I have been through recently.

I am hoping to get one with the Amplus shape with 10 or more grains... Once again, I do not hold much hope of this - not because of Shark but because of a small minority of bat retailers I have been through recently.

PLEASE RESTORE MY FAITH IN BAT RETAILERS, SHARK CRICKET! :)

Giving Excellent service is as easy as ignoring want the customer wants.
It's good to hear they are really listening and hopefully, delivering.

Sometimes, as an SME there are so many things to juggle it is very easy to drop one small detail. It sounds like Shark are showing good signs.

mattw

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • PRYZM Cricket
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:17 PM »

Pretty sure that Dan isn't making the bats for them anymore. No idea where they are being made..

Advertise on CBF