Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Custom X2 - The skill compensator  (Read 1612 times)

DorsetDan

Custom X2 - The skill compensator
« on: November 07, 2016, 11:46:48 AM »

Hi all,

I've recently got back in to cricket and have been using a GH 5* until now: http://custombats.co.uk/cbforum/index.php?topic=19345.0

There are some things I liked such as the feel (medium/ light pickup) and dead weight (2lb 9.6oz), oval lower handle, fairly flat face, rounded toe. Basically it feels nice to use and is very nice out of the middle but it doesn't give much room for mistiming due to the high middle shape and concaving.

So with that I set out to find something better and the mainstream bats weren't giving me a lot of inspiration, not to mention looking fairly poor value by comparison.

So, as backwards thinking as it seems I contacted John to say I basically have no idea what I like and I am open to anything at all, but in general I would like something a bit like I have but that gives better value for mistimed shots and flatters my atrocious technique while not costing the earth! I don't think there's a bad word on this forum about Red Ink bats or John's work which is why I felt confident in a custom with loose spec. The feedback from John before going ahead was basically to go for something traditional with a few modern touches and we went from there.

Nice little touches were rounding the toe for me more than normal, fitting the toe guard upside down to try and keep friction low, grip colour choice, sticker choice, fitting a scuff after knocking in and arriving exactly when John said it would.

I will sort pictures soon but for the time being here are the ones from Red Ink...

The end result is a full profile, 2lb 9.6oz (within 3g of my current bat!) with a pretty extended sweetspot I'd say. I had no preference as to look and was after performance but I think this doesn't half look bad for a G2, or any bat for that matter. Shoulder min is 12mm, max edge is 32mm, spine ~60mm, toe min 21mm, toe max 26mm. I make it about 107mm wide from toe to shoulders. I'll leave it to John or more experienced fourumites to describe the profile but it does the job for me.

The specs may not look super impressive on paper but the middle is enormous after only one net and a bit of extra knocking in and the pickup is very similar to the GH which is not mean feat as the GH has a high middle, thick heavy handle and smaller toe. I also looked at the COG of bath bats and they are within 2mm of each other which confirms this act of wizardry on pickup feel. The ball was coming off the face exceptionally well, almost no matter how I made contact so it has lived up to my only requirement of skill compensation :)

I'll update as I use it more but as you can probably tell I would highly recommend a Red Ink and am very grateful for John expertise in putting together something special.

Edit, just as an aside, I had some coaching and one of the things identified was my low pickup. The coach confidently strode over and after seeing how the ball was racing off the bat and started telling me how too many people buy a bat that is far too heavy for them nowadays as everyone like a big hitting bat... and stopped dead in mid sentence on picking up the bat and struggling to process just how little weight there was there for the performance. "um, just pick your hands up a bit higher then". It's a small thing but it's always nice to hear :)

JTtaylor145

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • mildenhallcricketclub.hitscricket.com
Re: Custom X2 - The skill compensator
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »

Congratulations on your bat buying and welcome to a very expensive new hobby. The bat looks great and John is clearly producing some absolute belters right now. Hope you have fun with the bat and score plenty of runs  :)

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 12:55:43 PM »

That's whats needed a big as middle as possible then your on the money.
And I've seen plenty grade 1s that are not as nice as that.

Andymilts

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »

Looks lovely, how are getting on with it now?

Advertise on CBF