Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ABD Retires  (Read 1369 times)

i12breakfree

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+2)
ABD Retires
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:48:41 AM »

https://twitter.com/ABdeVilliers17/status/999247658995810304

He says he is tired. Big loss in general to cricket.

cesare_in

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: ABD Retires
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »

Big big loss

Jlscarroll17

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »

Been a great servant for SA, time to play all the different White ball comps now and increase his fortune even more
Hundred scores 186*, 124, 113*, 109

Mister Le Chiffre

• County 1st XI
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »

Sad day for world cricket, as I've said previously in stats obsessed like the wider cricketing media but de Villiers is the best batsman of the modern era by a country mile. de Villiers possesses that genius that very few have had over the years

jdownesbcfc

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »

Surrey quietly reach for the chequebook once more

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »

I want his bats.

alexhilly1492

• International Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »

Big loss for international cricket

Big gain for kolpak????
HS: 61*
BB: 7-4-9-5, 7.3-0-29-5

adb club cricketer

• County 1st XI
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »

Retirement nowadays is different from earlier days. Previously retirement meant end of cricketing career/money. Now, it is actually the beginning of more cricket and more money. Previously, players would try to delay retirement as much as possible. Now, players want to retire as early as possible whilst managing to give the impression that they haven't ignored their country. So any 30+ age is ideal to retire these days. Internally, I can only assume they will be mentally "free" and excited.  So no need to feel sad at all. Expect to see him in T20 leagues all throughout the year all around the world.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 04:04:32 PM by adb club cricketer »

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  :(

SOULMAN1012

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+25)
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »

Certainly one of the best ever batsmen in all formats, arguably the best of his generation.

Is he retiring from all cricket or just international??? I assume he will keep his IPL gig going and maybe play in the Big Bash and hopefully the T20 Blast

jonny77

• First XI Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »

Retirement nowadays is different from earlier days. Previously retirement meant end of cricketing career/money. Now, it is actually the beginning of more cricket and more money. Previously, players would try to delay retirement as much as possible. Now, players want to retire as early as possible whilst managing to give the impression that they haven't ignored their country. So any 30+ age is ideal to retire these days. Internally, I can only assume they will be mentally "free" and excited.  So no need to feel sad at all. Expect to see him in T20 leagues all throughout the year all around the world.

Bit harsh isn't it? Surely you can't question his service to his country cricket wise? I think he's earned the right to retire from international cricket when he likes and I'm sure it wasn't just for money (he'd only be earning the same from IPL etc anyway and potentially more through endorsements etc being an international). He's still the player I'd pay the most to watch.

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:05:46 PM »

Getting the world cup choke in early? ;)

A shame, should have gone down as a legend of the sport but seems like the modern game has taken the edge off the last few years of his career and then lead to a slightly early retirement. Could have achieved more, and that says a lot when you look at his record!
HS: 126, BB: 7-20

adb club cricketer

• County 1st XI
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »

Bit harsh isn't it? Surely you can't question his service to his country cricket wise? I think he's earned the right to retire from international cricket when he likes and I'm sure it wasn't just for money (he'd only be earning the same from IPL etc anyway and potentially more through endorsements etc being an international). He's still the player I'd pay the most to watch.

Maybe my comment sounded harsh, but that wasn't my intention. I am with the players on this one, they have the skills and it is up to them to decide as to where they ply their trade. At end of the day, one needs to care for himself and his family. To me as a viewer/fan, I am hoping I can see him play in as many fora as possible now that he wont be playing for SA anymore.

Ajdal

• First XI Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 10:43:47 PM »

Sad day for cricket.

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 12:44:45 AM »

Timing is right to give someone new a spot for the WC-2019. If he doesn't feel that his body can keep up with the demands of the international cricket, he is right to opt for the fast-food-cricket.

SA needs depths in their batting if they want to win WC-2019.
Pages: [1] 2

Advertise on CBF