General Cricket > Your Cricket

Your 2021 Season

<< < (80/82) > >>

jonny77:

--- Quote from: SAFC2403 on September 14, 2021, 12:01:31 PM ---Our season finished Sunday just gone. This was my first year of dropping into our Sunday 3rds as at 41 Iím now deemed too old to be playing 2nds in a Saturday.

Finished top scorer in the team with 308 runs with a top score of 79. Not bad but I know I can do better as I had an indifferent start but got more consistent as the season went on.

Now the season has finished Iím concentrating on building my bat refurb business a d looking to start shaping my own bats over the winter.

--- End quote ---

Where do you play? I've just gone 44 and still playing in our 2's, who are 2 divs below ECB Prem Yorks South, (so not an awful standard). So, I certainly wouldn't class anyone as too old for any form of cricket. Imo if you're good enough and fit enough, age is irrelevant.

More Glue Than Wood:

--- Quote from: jonny77 on September 14, 2021, 08:13:18 PM ---Where do you play? I've just gone 44 and still playing in our 2's, who are 2 divs below ECB Prem Yorks South, (so not an awful standard). So, I certainly wouldn't class anyone as too old for any form of cricket. Imo if you're good enough and fit enough, age is irrelevant.

--- End quote ---

some clubs see it as short termism to play the older players - my club does this - i am 43 and deemed too old for the higher teams - which i have no issues with - esp. as i now don't have to do 1 hrs fielding drills pre match and can have lunch at home and turn up at 1 for a 1.30 start!!!! :D :D

Jimbo:

--- Quote from: More Glue Than Wood on September 14, 2021, 08:30:41 PM ---some clubs see it as short termism to play the older players - my club does this - i am 43 and deemed too old for the higher teams - which i have no issues with - esp. as i now don't have to do 1 hrs fielding drills pre match and can have lunch at home and turn up at 1 for a 1.30 start!!!! :D :D

--- End quote ---

That sounds very short-sighted. Who better for the young lads to learn from than the guys who have been there and done it? Plus, nobody enjoys facing the wily, middle-aged dibbly-dobbler.

More Glue Than Wood:

--- Quote from: Jimbo on September 14, 2021, 08:36:19 PM ---That sounds very short-sighted. Who better for the young lads to learn from than the guys who have been there and done it? Plus, nobody enjoys facing the wily, middle-aged dibbly-dobbler.

--- End quote ---

that is what was said by many at my club - unfortunately the club captain at my club wants the youngsters to learn off of him and no one else  :D :D if you don't drink the coolaid you are in trouble!!!

mo_town:
Regarding the age debate, its a very relative thing, isnt it? It all depends on how big the club is and what kind of availability they have each year. One year they have lots of young promising talents and middle aged guys are deemed too old to play at the highest possible levels in the club; and the next year kids are off to Uni/move to other clubs and all of a sudden you are good enough again. It can be a very fickle thing. Of course the only thing that can help you keep your spot regardless is if you are good friends with the team captain. That always works! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version