Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Self feeding bowling bowling machine- Paceman pro vs Paceman strike help!  (Read 784 times)

Davehugh

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)

So I have been toying with the idea of buying my own self feeding bowling machine that I can set up and use whenever the urge to have a hit overcomes me. My newly wed wife is kind on side with it (Im using lines like you never bought me a wedding present etc) there does seem to be a number of conditions which Im negotiating hard on. With the numbers and standard at nets dropping again this year there seems no better time than the present.

Having done a bit of online research the Paceman pro or Strike look hard to see past so does the all rounder offer of 0% finance over 12 months. Has anyone used the finance from allrounder are there other websites that offer finance as well? Does anyone have either and could you report back?? From what I can see online and YouTube the pros and cons of each..

Strike 590 550 for the machine 40 for the balls (includes auto feeder)

Pros- Cheaper of the two
Can launch hard balls at up too 70/75mph
Comes with an automatic feeder as standard
Lightweight portable (especially compared to Bola)

Cons- as far as I can tell cant do swing or spin

Paceman Pro 800 680 for them machine 80 for the auto feeder 40 for balls

Pros-Can launch balls up to 70/75mph
Has a spin/swing setting
Lightweight/ portable

Cons- have to pay seperately for the auto feeder

Any advice would be much appreciated I need to try and keep my newly wed wife and the other love of life happy ...

iand123

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+12)

I have the paceman pro and have found the auto feeder to not be that great. I only tried to use it once and gave up with it so it could easily be user error but i found that it didnt really feed the balls through. Youd get one or maybe two an then they would stop. I bought it from Jake at Vitas who said you had to really wedge the balls in to come through and its fine from there, he also said he had never had any issues. Since then i dont even carry the autofeeder in the bag with the machine

Hope that helps!

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner

Have you looked at Bola Junior? I have used it for couple of seasons and it is very well made! I think the top speed is 70 mph but you can move the machine closer as well. It is a fine piece of equipment.

RPC/Blueroom Cricket - Adie

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend

If you cant afford a proper bola or simply dont feel the need to net at high speeds then the bola jnr should be your port of call.

uknsaunders

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Ashorne CC

Just get the cheapo one with an auto feeder. Use it off 14 yards and it will do a fine job for 200. Also easier to carry around, just about fits in a big rucksack.
email and googletalk: uknsaunders@gmail.com
club website: www.ashornecc.co.uk

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain

Pacemen machine will need a heavy sinewave inverter to use with batteries.....doable , but makes it less lightweight and portable than you think .
Follow @InternalTraining  advice ( i did ) and get a Bola Junior . I use mine at 16yards and it's equivalent to around 80mph. I use the white balls which feel hard enough and decent off the bat .
Dont get a cheap kiddie paceman ....false economy if you get sick of its inadequacies  ( like most do) and just end up having to upgrade .
Btw.... i don't drive but bola junior is so portable i can have it in my wheelie bag and walk / public transport to nets with it .
Bola junior for prime minister !  :D

Davehugh

• Club Cricketer

Thanks guys will look into the Bola junior although it looks like its a bit more expensive again. Anyone know of any second hand or a place that does finance on them?

Davehugh

• Club Cricketer

Might also be worth saying the club I play for has a senior bola so I could just buy an automatic feeder. The thing that puts me off that is the nets and the place where its stored are about 100metres apart the bolas are so #%$*## heavy to drag across whereas the Bola junior and Paceman would fit in the boot of my car?

iand123

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+12)

Might also be worth saying the club I play for has a senior bola so I could just buy an automatic feeder. The thing that puts me off that is the nets and the place where its stored are about 100metres apart the bolas are so #%$*## heavy to drag across whereas the Bola junior and Paceman would fit in the boot of my car?

I presume it isnt somewhere you can drive to, load up the machine into your car and then drive over to the nets with?

RPC/Blueroom Cricket - Adie

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend

A full bola isnt heach really but awkward to carry. However it goes in a car really easily if you dont use the stupid box.

I have a spare feeder now and a spare second hand bola pro. I dont have any jnr bolas sadly.

Boondougal

• County 1st XI

We have the same problem... however we negotiated the use of the groundsman wheelbarrow.... considering no other person has touched a single other piece of his equipment in about 20 years it was seen as a victory for progress.

Boondougal

• County 1st XI

A full bola isnt heach really but awkward to carry. However it goes in a car really easily if you dont use the stupid box.

I have a spare feeder now and a spare second hand bola pro. I dont have any jnr bolas sadly.

Might be interested if you had a price in mind? feel free to PM me. cheers.

KettonJake

• County 2nd XI

Thanks guys will look into the Bola junior although it looks like its a bit more expensive again. Anyone know of any second hand or a place that does finance on them?

BOLA Junior is a far superior offering as it is a proper twin wheeled machine just like it's senior counterpart, whereas all Paceman machines are single wheel, essentially they are adapted versions of a baseball throwing machine, a sport where the ball doesn't bounce between being delivered and being struck by the bat.

The balls are also a huge consideration. BOLA balls are consistently excellent quality. Paceman balls (and the generic versions sold by just about every cricket brand out there it seems) seem inconsistent in terms of weight, construction, hardness, 'feel' on the bat, sound, etc. I've had a few that have been unbalanced, ie weight biased to one side of the ball...
None of those things are good for providing a consistent series of deliveries to help a youngster practice. As a coach I found it incredibly frustrating to set up the machine for a certain shot, telling a child that they will get x balls in a row of pretty much the same delivery, only for the deliveries to vary quite a bit, to the point where a child starts to lose trust in you as a coach. As a result my experiment with saving some hassle in terms of transport was short lived and for any coaching sessions away from Vitas Cricket i resorted back to packing up our BOLA Pro and taking it with me.

When Paceman first came along I thought a very affordable machine was a great idea, ideal for young kids in the back garden. The more expensive machines had their time as a popular option but now the BOLA Junior is established as an option at an admittedly higher (but still more comparable than the BOLA Senior) price, I would advise going for a BOLA Junior every time.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:50:11 AM by KettonJake »

Advertise on CBF