Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pull/Hook Shot  (Read 2039 times)

ajm90

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pull/Hook Shot
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

Dont try to overhit it, Stay in line and guide it into the gap if you time it well enough theres no need to hit it hard.  :)

Cys1

• First XI Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »

Practice, practice and more practice!! People who play the pull and hook shot the best are the ones who pick up the length quickly and very importantly commit to playing the stroke. Any hesitation will get you into trouble and probably hurt.
i don't think there should be a problem in getting into position to play the shot when your weight is pressing forward. The most effective way of playing back is by pushing back off your front foot. Try moving back by simply moving your back leg and then try pushing back off your front leg. Also, the basic backfoot movement of going back and across will still apply when playing the pull/hook ( This gets you inside the line of the ball ). Straight arms are also important but this will be dictated by the line from which you are pulling the ball. The wider you pull the ball from the easier it is to play with straight arms and you will also hit the ball further in front of square. The closer the ball is to your body the less the chances of freeing your arms and therefore you are likely to hit it square or behind square.

There are obviously many more things to consider when learning to play the shot but if you are willing to work hard at it and take a couple of hits in the process you should be fine.

Number4

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »

The pull/hook is also a confidence shot so play confidently
This information is for educational purposes only.
Under no circumstances can this be copied or reproduced in any way without the permission of the author

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »

if you are effectively playing a higher standard in a game than you are used to, the phrase "play your natural game" springs to mind.

If the hook or pull aren't in your natural game in your normal cricket, then they are tough shots to bring in when you go up a level.

My suggestion is to work on your defensive shots against the short ball, work on how you can work them for ones or twos and play those shots confidendly, then by doing that you are forcing the bowler to try something new and bowl in the areas you are more used to playing.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw

RossViper

• County 1st XI
  • What noise does a cow make?
    • My Excel Blog!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

if you are effectively playing a higher standard in a game than you are used to, the phrase "play your natural game" springs to mind.

If the hook or pull aren't in your natural game in your normal cricket, then they are tough shots to bring in when you go up a level.

My suggestion is to work on your defensive shots against the short ball, work on how you can work them for ones or twos and play those shots confidendly, then by doing that you are forcing the bowler to try something new and bowl in the areas you are more used to playing.

what Buzz said, and for those reason, playing hooks, if you don't face quickish bowling all the time, its really hard, I wouldn't bother, just get better at ducking and swaying.

"I can bowl all the variations, none of them spin"
Me, at nets Thursday 12 June 2014

Jagminder

• First XI Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »

1st tip ........... try to get yourself outside the line of the ball and then use the pace to nurdle it to the boundary, dont try and hammer it over midwicket for 6 until late on in your innings.

Another tip ............ point your back foot to the covers not point as it allows you to open up your body

Final tip ............ play it with your arms fully extended and swing your hands froma high position round your body from point down to square leg. I sometimes see people bending their arms adn playing from slip to mid on with their hands it it often results in the ball lobbing up of the top of the bat.

Use a tennis ball for practice to get the feel for your hands and foot and body position.
In addition to this - when you play the shot remember to be on ball of your toe for your back foot.
P.S.- It is coming from someone who didn't know a thing about pulls/hooks in 2009 and In 2010, 80% of 4s and 6s were those shots. 
P.P.S- I haven't ever kept the ball down ever but I never try to hit hard either - Use your wrists and Place it. (even two fielders can't protect that behind square leg side boundary if you know u can control the shot). Finish your shot atleast facing Square leg umpire if not further.

Hope this helps.

Jag.

Watsontotty

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+11)
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »

try walking down the pitch and tell the bowler if he drops another one short you will ensure he never bowls again.
Pages: 1 [2]

Advertise on CBF