Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Classic discussion - GM diamond v kookaburra bubble v SS turbo v DF Magnum  (Read 1515 times)

Wide Chaser

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (+1)

I know this is a top gear classic car type discussion (XR3i against the Golf GTi) for cricket bats, but I'm sure everyone here remembers playing with or against these classic bats?

I know I've missed some out - the jumbo, symonds tuska, GN power spot, and the Slazenger V12 but the titled bats are the ones that all the openers used to use when I was first introduced to cricket in the early 90s.

Who remembers and still owns them.....
"........The hutch is open........"

Alvaro

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+2)

SSJumbo!
@bearded_tit

Wide Chaser

• Club Cricketer

I sold my dads jumbo on a very popular auction site last month and only got 20 for it

The_Bird

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+3)

The No.11 in my team uses a DF Magnum. It sparks discussions whenever he comes out to bat and provides great humour when he plants some clown on the bank for six! It's an absolute plank that picks up like a log but he won't use any other bat and refurbs it every 5 years!!

junter97

• International Captain

80 year old at my club (who still plays) has an SS jumbo and it's lovely, even by todays standards, bounced a ball on it and my god it was good!

Wide Chaser

• Club Cricketer

Is his jumbo the one with the back painted White?

junter97

• International Captain

No, completely natural.

procricket B3

• Forum Sponsor
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+32)
    • B3 CRICKET

a version of the jumbo did have the painted white back and was poylcoated mate

was around late 80 early 90 fore sure our club pro had it

PedalsMcgrew

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+4)

I've owned all the bats mentioned here and the best by a mile was my Jumbo. Even by todays standards the response was amazing. I've been seriously considering purchasing one of the remakes Stuart Surridge are offering on their website but 275 just seems a little steep!

Lisa: How's my Rabbit?
Bart: He's dead and dad buried him in the garden, although not in that order..

Wide Chaser

• Club Cricketer

That's a lot of money to gamble on them bringing back to life a 20 year old bat I think. It will no doubt be a fantastic bat but will it bring back the nostalgia? Is that something you can buy?

beaver5

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)

Team mate of mine from a few years ago had an old SS Jumbo. It had as much tape as wood on it. Watched him smash hundreds on a frequent basis with it, but to be fair he was a class batsman and didn't matter too much what he used.

Had a cheap Kook bubble which was crap but my Symonds Super Tusker was brilliant. Massive for the time and very light, ball flew off. Didn't last long though. Used a DF VR5* for years which was a great bat.

sloggerroz

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)

I had a ss turbo grand prix which was my pride and joy until my dad went over it with the lawn mower and took a 2 inch chunk off the bottom. Gutted!!, still used it for 2 more seasons though.  Also had a bubble which had a good middle but cracked on the handle after 6 games.  Best bat a v12 county which I used at school

Wide Chaser

• Club Cricketer

I loved the turbo. The middle seemed to be everywhere on it. The v800 with the 2 holes on the back of the middle, and the GN sabre came along and seemed to get everyone interested in lighter bats

coverpoint_pro

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+12)

I've owned all the bats mentioned here and the best by a mile was my Jumbo. Even by todays standards the response was amazing. I've been seriously considering purchasing one of the remakes Stuart Surridge are offering on their website but 275 just seems a little steep!

Don't even consider it, they are planks!  The headquaters is 5 mins from where i live, and the bats they have there are (No Swearing Please)! Especially for the prices they charge!!

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+36)

Don't even consider it, they are planks!  The headquaters is 5 mins from where i live, and the bats they have there are (No Swearing Please)! Especially for the prices they charge!!

I tapped an SS Jumbo up at the Lords Trade Show and wasn't impressed! For the money I wouldn't even entertain the idea!!
Pages: [1] 2

Advertise on CBF