Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bespoke Stretton Fox Thigh Pads Review  (Read 9589 times)

Cover_Drive

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+14)
Re: Bespoke Stretton Fox Thigh Pads Review
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 05:03:32 PM »

Anyone else think that the remfrys are poorly finished for such an expensive product? I am loving the SFs

They certainly are; after getting my Stretton Fox ones the toweling on Remfry looks substandard to me.
Twitter: @_UzairM

tushar sehgal

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

They look stunning and by the sounds of the review perform even better than they look CD.

procricket

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+32)
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »

They certainly are; after getting my Stretton Fox ones the toweling on Remfry looks substandard to me.

The remfry have always been a home made product but I guess I shall be sticking to mine
"Doubt whoever but never doubt yourself"

ItsJustCricket

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • Its Just Cricket
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 05:19:29 PM »

Great review, Uzair - loving the detail you go into!  :)

Can't wait to get these thigh pads in stock.  I've used my Stretton-Fox chest guard in the nets once, and it's a vast improvement on my old Hunts County one!

Also, I agree about the Remfrys - they look pretty cheap and naff, to be honest!

fatbats

• Forum Sponsor
  • County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Fat Bats
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »

Well a lot of pro's have used remfry for years so he must be doing something right

I hope stretton fox really take off as quality product but I think remfry will always have its place due to sheer amount of players using them

procricket

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+32)
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »

Yes bit harsh Paul there I guess I stuck with my remfry poor me I do have kids to feed though so no stretton for a while althought I respect the product and think competition for remfry can push the area higher.

Uzair great review and love the uniqueness of the colour and design top stuff
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:22:12 PM by procricket »
"Doubt whoever but never doubt yourself"

ItsJustCricket

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • Its Just Cricket
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »

Yes bit harsh Paul there I guess I stuck with my remfry poor me I do have kids to feed though so no stretton for a while althought I respect the product and think competition for remfry can push the area higher.

Uzair greater view and love the uniqueness of the colour and design top stuff

I'm sure they do the job, and are better than your average thigh pad, but looks like they don't offer as much protection as the stretton-fox and certainly don't look as pleasing on the eye, so I know which one I prefer...

Cover_Drive

• Forum Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

I'm sure they do the job, and are better than your average thigh pad, but looks like they don't offer as much protection as the stretton-fox and certainly don't look as pleasing on the eye, so I know which one I prefer...

With all due to respect, the thigh pads at the end of the day will be worn underneath trouser/shorts. Why I opted for black and custom design was solely due to the fact that I liked that option more and at the end if it was consumable good then my utility would have been higher.

As far protection is concerned for the level of cricket we play I'm sure the average thigh pad protection would be sufficient but then we still buy top tier stuff.

George himself has never really compared himself with Steven Remfry, he knows what Remfry has done and what he has earned.

Alvaro

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »

I don't see what's wrong with stuffing a high tog towel down your whites ...

fatbats

• Forum Sponsor
  • County 2nd XI
    • Fat Bats
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

I don't see what's wrong with stuffing a high tog towel down your whites ...

But your sticking it in your box that's were your going wrong

Calzehbhoy

• International Captain
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Which thigh pads have stood the test of time @Cover Drive ? Which set did you end up using most and why?

sachin200

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »

First of all apologies for taking rather very long in posting the following review.

It all began when Buzz posted Stretton Fox tumblr link in his mighty 'Thigh Pads Thread.' My curiosity arose as soon I clicked it, despite owning a set of Remfry and Aero P1's. Shortly I came to know that Roco, is contemplating to purchase a set. After some respite from resistance, Roco received his set, he was all praise for them. That agitated and I became intrigued, then after getting George's contact details from Roco I sent him an email with few questions. With each email going out of my outbox, it meant I was getting closer on becoming an owner of Stretton Fox.

Once all of my initial questions were answered, we then moved onto shape selection. Stretton Fox have various pre-designed shapes which were easily accessible from their website, after going through all of them I came to a conclusion that none of these appear to be the one I am after. So I sent George picture of Remfry thigh guards, he then sent me a shape which was closest to them. Those did not stir me either so I began to ruminate about bespoke option, once I decided that was it I sent George some templates of the shape I wanted and sizing of my Remfry's, which follow;

And a small note in regards to the shape I wanted...

..then George replied with following;

I printed them out and wore the templates along my batting pads to see how they fare. Everything appeared to be spot on, the only concern was the width which was predominately due to the fact that Remfry are narrower but I had utmost of faith in George and his abilities especially since likes of Buzz and Roco appraised his skills.

Subsequent to the size specifications, George proposed idea of black (must commend his exceptionally creativity skills!) which caught my eye as I always try to get stuff different from what others have. Seeing Remfry and Sehwag inscription on their respective thigh pads, I wanted mine to be exclusively for myself. So I asked George whether its an viable option or not?  He swiftly replied with wide array of options, he emailed me a link of website which had billion fonts (I was not even aware that there were thus many fonts!!) so due to time constrain I went over few pages and chose what caught my eye, I have no regrets of missing any 'better' one! Moreover, I asked George if I could get custom flags which I did.

George was extremely prompt in posting the thigh pads off, to be honest, they were made quicker than I had expected them. They came in a box and were extremely well packed. So I upon the box and first thing I saw was this note (below) that was certainly a kind gesture by him which I was touched upon;

My review was halted due to various reasons where one of them was that I wanted to use them prior to commencement of the review and I was able to give them a decent run over the course of past three weeks. At first I got the shape adjusted to my preference which was rather a fun activity, I was unable to contort them initially but Roco told me to gently stand on them which I was afraid to do so, but did.

In my first net, I had ought them to be bulky as its my first time using them but to my surprise that was not the case, they felt extremely comfortable. Throughout my net session they felt like part of my thighs, extremely comfortable. With all due respect to Remfry which I have high esteem for, I must say these felt a lot more comfortable because of its inner padding, that makes these more comfortable across my thighs than Remfry's. For me, comfort is extremely vital as I am paying a premium price so I expect them to be utterly comfortable when I bat or sit on bench. Moreover, the sweat absorption on Stretton Fox is lovely, due to its thick foaming it absorbs the sweat better than Remfry and Aero P1.

I vividly remember the first time I had worn Remfry they felt slightly bulky before I acclimatized to them and acclaimed them to be world beater but this was not the case with Stretton Fox which I believe is due to its characteristic as its malleable and could be bent in any shape that fits best on our thighs unlike Remfrys which are rigid.

Stretton Fox are also the thinnest among the three, they are 1 cm thick while Remfry's are around 1.5 cm mark whereas Aero P1 being close to 3 cm mark. So there is a substantial difference in terms of thickness and I was unable to measure weight as I don't have a scale but from feel I can say Stretton Fox feel lightest among the three followed by Remfry and then Aero P1s. Moreover, in terms of price the standard ones are cheaper than Remfry albeit expensive than Aero P1s but then comfort and mobility comes into play.

Here is a short video which I made just for protection comparison between the three;

Stretton Fox vs Remfry vs Aero P1 | Thigh Pads Protection Comparison |

(Bear with my skills in the video as its my first ever video review!)

As you can see, Stretton Fox by far are most protective. Aero P1 are close to Stretton Fox in terms of protection but then they are significantly bulkier! Significantly!!

George also sent me extra straps (white ones) which was extremely generous of him.

When I ordered Remfry I faced obstacles when it came to payment because he would only accept wire transfer which for me is steep option as I would have to pay 35 GBP circa to transfer the funds, whereas with Stretton Fox that was least of worry as George was amenable so he readily accepted payment via PayPal which is what I prefer. So overall I got everything I had asked for, I must wholly praise George here. He is extremely courteous, considerate and helpful. Certainly a recherch gem of a individual, I have dealt with loads of manufacturer and George is among the best, if not THE best. I can't recommend Stretton Fox enough, truly astonishing product and more importantly service as I ordered all the way across Atlantic, Canada. Transaction couldn't have been smoother than this..

Lastly, here are the pictures;

I didn't knew when I got infected with thigh pads syndrome...:( (Blame Buzz :()

Therefore, after discuss over all aspect I feel Stretton Fox edge Remfry and Aero P1 out but then to deem a sole winner between Remfry and Stretton Fox continue to be a mystery, perhaps I could reach to that verdict after some more use? But going by the review and by the facet outlined aforementioned it appears that Stretton Fox is the winner. Regardless, thats it for now and I hope it was an enjoyable (I know it was boring!) read.

Fire any question/criticism you guys have.

Cheers

Great review mate! Which ones are lighter? No guesses on which one is the heaviest lol!
You know that you are getting old when your own team has players half of your age!

Cover_Drive

• Forum Legend
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 03:12:39 PM »

Great review mate! Which ones are lighter? No guesses on which one is the heaviest lol!

I'll bring both tonight for you to see and make a call.

19reading87

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+39)
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »

For those that won't see you tonight, which ones are lighter?
Highest score: 147*          Best bowling: 5-21

Cover_Drive

• Forum Legend
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Which thigh pads have stood the test of time @Cover Drive ? Which set did you end up using most and why?

I would say StrettonFox as they cover bigger area of thighs and wrap around very well due to them being malleable. Remfry's wrap around well too, no doubt but they are more rigid compared to StrettonFox.

Presently in indoors, I am using Remfry's. They seem to be covering less of the area compared to StrettonFox.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Advertise on CBF