Week Two Video
Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Week Two Video  (Read 5600 times)

123*

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Week Two Video
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 12:10:45 PM »

Week 3, left arm over, 67mph, 1 inswing, still coming round the ball on shots, just can't get rid of it!

If your interested here's what I looked like 6 month ago...

Batting in the nets

Nickauger

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »

Is there a ping pong ball in there yet? ;)

toenails97

• International Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

Still don't see a ping pong ball in those gloves ;)
There is definitely a ping pong ball in mate he even gave me one to try and the trick definately works suprisingley :D

Nickauger

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »

I can see it now actually :) and what do you mean surprisingly?  :o

toenails97

• International Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »

I can see it now actually :) and what do you mean surprisingly?  :o
I didnt think a ping pong ball would fit in a glove never mind aid the bottom hand haha! Great little trick really mate! :D

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49:11 PM »

Would a squash ball be a bit easier/more comfortable to use?
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw

toenails97

• International Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »

Would a squash ball be a bit easier/more comfortable to use?
Its acctually comfortable with a ping pong ball mate... you forget its there :p

yogi206

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Part-time Pete
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »

The bolwing machine setup for left arm over seems a bid wide at the bowlers end to me? left arm over are usually pretty tight to the stumps. the thing i would say is to look at the movement of your head before you play the shot you still look a bit too crouched to me. get yours eyes up and level and then dont move them till you strike the ball..... you seem to bob a little before you play the drive especially

Nickauger

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »

You're probably right Buzz actually, maybe a squash ball might be more comfortable!

GarrettJ

• International Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

i had a quick look at your first video and this one, i think you should congratulate yourself on the improvement you have made over the six months.

This video with a left arm over would bring out most of the technical errors in all of us, they are a bit tricky to play. Ideally you would be straight and on driving everything with a leg glance or flick to anything over pitched near leg stump.

forget the coming round the ball for now there is something else i noticed and it is a very minor point to rectify but will stop a problem that a lot of batsmen have to left armers. If you look at a few of your shots you take a little step wiht your back foot forward after you have hit the ball, this is a sign that your balance is a bit off. It doesnt happen on your very first 2 shots becuase your back foot is technically correct. What oyu should do is hvae a relaxed back foot, ie it isnt planted flat on the fllor and the toe pointing to point when you hit the ball. Both feet should be pointing up the pitch. This will stop the the little walk forward.

when facing left armers, which i love, i point both feet in the direction of cover when opening up my stance and everything is hit straight. There is one shot you are very disappointed about in the first minute or so, it was a cover drive which went in the air and it is an easy mistake to make. Try to hit the non striking batsmen with these shots because if you are going through cover you have to be using an open blade on impact so unless you get it 100% right it is going airbourne, not a problem if you throw everything at it and the field is up.

Overall i think you are being a bit harsh on yourself about coming round the ball, you dont get runs for looking technically perfect!!! You are hitting a lot of scoring shots along the ground and it is safe to go aerial over the bowler which you are doing, so you can be very confident of getting some runs this season.

Just remember its going to be a little soft for the first few months so it wont be coming on like these indoor nets. ..... be careful driving especially cover driving.

ps shave your head and you will look like matt prior!

retired 2014

123*

• County 1st XI
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »

i had a quick look at your first video and this one, i think you should congratulate yourself on the improvement you have made over the six months.

This video with a left arm over would bring out most of the technical errors in all of us, they are a bit tricky to play. Ideally you would be straight and on driving everything with a leg glance or flick to anything over pitched near leg stump.

forget the coming round the ball for now there is something else i noticed and it is a very minor point to rectify but will stop a problem that a lot of batsmen have to left armers. If you look at a few of your shots you take a little step wiht your back foot forward after you have hit the ball, this is a sign that your balance is a bit off. It doesnt happen on your very first 2 shots becuase your back foot is technically correct. What oyu should do is hvae a relaxed back foot, ie it isnt planted flat on the fllor and the toe pointing to point when you hit the ball. Both feet should be pointing up the pitch. This will stop the the little walk forward.

when facing left armers, which i love, i point both feet in the direction of cover when opening up my stance and everything is hit straight. There is one shot you are very disappointed about in the first minute or so, it was a cover drive which went in the air and it is an easy mistake to make. Try to hit the non striking batsmen with these shots because if you are going through cover you have to be using an open blade on impact so unless you get it 100% right it is going airbourne, not a problem if you throw everything at it and the field is up.

Overall i think you are being a bit harsh on yourself about coming round the ball, you dont get runs for looking technically perfect!!! You are hitting a lot of scoring shots along the ground and it is safe to go aerial over the bowler which you are doing, so you can be very confident of getting some runs this season.

Just remember its going to be a little soft for the first few months so it wont be coming on like these indoor nets. ..... be careful driving especially cover driving.

ps shave your head and you will look like matt prior!

Thank's mate, it's been mostly down to you and your help you've given me over the last 6 month, feel like I've improved massively technically wise thanks to you! And I know I kept telling myself when batting to hit the machine but just struggled with it! Need to stay more balanced as you say, right hand side came through to much instead of staying side on, how to learn how to try and play the hook shot, should be fun!

Also Matt Prior haha! That is a new one!

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

Hi - I think you are looking good.

On the feet pointing down the pitch thing this is the one area I don't agree with GarrettJ, this isn't right and is causing you to lose your balance as it makes you twist your hips. you might want to think about trying to change this slightly. When you play your better balanced shots your front foot is pointing at mid off which is fine (see 6.23 for an example)
See Jaques Kallis here:
http://static.ecb.co.uk/images/width325/kallis-1347611.jpg

Ian Bell
http://www.alloutcricket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Bell.jpg

Ramps
http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/DB/072001/027932.jpg

for Lefties, here is Sangakarra
http://gulfnews.com/polopoly_fs/1.917067!/image/2426028934.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_475/2426028934.jpg

Your front foot should be poininting to extra cover and your back foot to point, that will keep your hips in the right place and help you retain your balance better and stop the "walk" through the shot. IT is really hard to stay balanced with both feet pointing foward through a shot.

As GarrettJ says many many people on here go for a walk as they play the shot, you really need to stand still through the shot.
Having said that you are more upright now and stiller, a sign of more confidence, you stance and grip are good and your range of shots looks decent.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:32:12 AM by Buzz »
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw

GarrettJ

• International Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »

no problem, if i make it bakc up to the North East i'll pop in for a net one day

when i say feet point straight down i mean for the on drive only, the offside ones you have to lift your back heel

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/71100/71169.jpg

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/91400/91436.jpg

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/11/09/3782563/---gal_cricket8-20121109143821700225-620x414.jpg

The hook shot is easy to learn but requires a bit of bravery. Agian i might be a bit controversial here and say you need to have both feet pointing back at the bowler and never stay side on.

Tennis ball, tennis racket, get someone to hit them at you around your chin after you have started with someone kneeling down and flciking a ball up to your chin off where the ball would pitch.
retired 2014

123*

• County 1st XI
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »

Week 4 if anyone's interested! This was a very, very defensive net!

yogi206

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Part-time Pete
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

video isnt working fella
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Advertise on CBF