Thermal Base Layers
Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thermal Base Layers  (Read 2158 times)

EaglesCC

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Thermal Base Layers
« on: April 22, 2013, 09:36:53 AM »

Given our unpredictable weather Im thinking about investing in some thermal base layers (top and tights). My 'problem is I dont get on with the nylon type material that most are made of. Also I have rugby player thighs and calfs so although would like a snug fit, I wouldnt want it to be 'proper' compression type.

So looking for recommendations.

These look very good value for money and the reviews suggest its more of a fleece type material: http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-pants-mens-402068

Any views?

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Straight up.
Re: Thermal Base Layers
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »

I use skins on top and bottom.

I've also got muscles in my legs so am no skinny jeans type.

They are great for keeping things warm and in one place. I'd recommend them even if you're not going down the compression route. Oh, and they really help with 'next day' muscle fatigue in the legs.

PedalsMcgrew

• International Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »

Speaking from experience do not skimp on base layers. The good ones are expensive for a reason. I would look at Under Armour, you can find some decent deals on them on eBay.

The cheap ones are all basically 100% nylon/polyester and have no breathable qualities at all. I appreciate your looking for a thermal layer but even so you need it to be breathable to a certain degree. UnderArmour, Nike, Skins, Adidas etc are really the only ones to get.
Lisa: How's my Rabbit?
Bart: He's dead and dad buried him in the garden, although not in that order..

tim2000s

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • If I only could bat....
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »

I bought a set of Adidas compression stuff which works very well, and have the Under Armour thermal ones for winter wear. Both do the job in different conditions.

EaglesCC

• County 1st XI
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »

Im not particularly looking to save money on these but to be honest there doesnt seem to be any conclusive evidence about compression clothing benefits. I can understand that the higher end stuff is more breathable etc but the reason I was looking at the ones in the link is because of the fleece type material description.

fasteddie how stretchable are the Skins?

PedalsMcgrew Underarmour were on my list to look at. Have you used these? Are they stretchable?

I know fasteddie has said he's not skinny, what about you guys? I'm on the bulky side (fair bit of weight training) so finding something that wont be restricting is key for me.

PedalsMcgrew

• International Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »

The Under Armour ones I currently have are excellent. They are nice and tight without being restrictive. Stretchable? Definitely! I've also got a pair of Adidas Climalite compression shorts that do the job perfectly.

Canterbury is another make to look at......they make good compression gear for Rugby...

Kooga too.....

P.S> I'm 6ft 1in 17 stone.....fairly chunky!
Lisa: How's my Rabbit?
Bart: He's dead and dad buried him in the garden, although not in that order..

kalph

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:57 AM »

what size are you?

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:12 AM »

if you don't like the nylon, try uniqlo they have some decent thermal options.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw

jamielsn15

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 10:14:36 AM »

I wore Under Armour for years when I played football and I've never had a problem with their hot or cold ranges.  Canterbury ranges are excellent for base layer cycling shorts and I prefer them to UA.  Haven't tried Skins, but I haven't heard a bad thing about them, I may invest in some for this season.

I go Medium on tops and Large on cycling-style shorts.  I'm 6'1" and 13 1/2 stone and I too cannot wear skinny jeans, which clearly are not designed for sports legs!  I would recommend UA for tops and Canterbury for shorts.  Skins if you're looking for full-length
"The more I practice the luckier I get..."

EaglesCC

• County 1st XI
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:17:12 AM »

I think it may be a case of viewing/ feeling/ trying on a few. I work in the City (London) and there are lots of cycling shops around here. May have a gander at lunch time.

what size are you?

5ft 8/9 - 34 waste. Normally wear Large in clothing, etc.

gdb19

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+16)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »

I'm after new base layers too. I did get an under armour short sleeve for in hot weather last year and not been impressed to be honest, it's bobbled a bit and marked. The Canterbury ones I've used previously were better.

Jake from vitas mentioned sub sports on here a while ago so I'm thinking of trying them. 

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Straight up.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

fasteddie how stretchable are the Skins?

I'm 6ft 2 and weigh in at 16st 9. I'm not fat but solid.
Skins are great.

With regard to the benefits, I use them for keeping my core dry and warm, I've had too many back ops and need to stay dry and warm. They are great.

Also I find that my recovery is faster in my legs. I train 5 days a week and do too many hours on a spinning bike. I always wear skins and Ron Hills and never have a problem with recovery.

My full length skins are three years old and work as if they are 1 day old. They are now grey and look ragged, but they work a treat.

Worth every penny.

I also use Under Armour cycling shorts in black, they are very good too.

LDifa

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »

I have used the cheap sports direct ones for skiing and also for football in freezing conditions and they did the job.

I have also got their cheap white base layers for a bit of warmth, but now use the base layers from CYK off this forum and I like them.

EaglesCC

• County 1st XI
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »

Just to update this... Went with Helly Hansen Merino Wool baselayer in the end. Mostly on the recommendations of a cyclist friend I work with...

Seemed on paper to fit the bill as I didn't want anything Lycra based or particularly compression type.

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/gb/item/hh-wool-set-48662/

I used these this weekend and happy to report that they were very comfortable and extremely warm - to the point where I had to take my jumper off half way through my innings. I'm 5'8 and went with Large. Slightly long on the arms and legs but otherwise spot on.

Happy to answer any Q's if anyone is curious about these.

siridurrani

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 05:15:32 PM »

Being a Goalkeeper means you don't move around much most days, Skins are the best bet, however they are really pricey, 60 quid ish for the top and 50 quid ish of the bottoms, I now use Under Amour, was able to pick up the top for 40 quid, the 'cold gear mock' It covers from the neck down, and white is usually the cheapest colour, the material is easily washed, and hasn't stained as of yet (35+ games this season)
Pages: [1] 2

Advertise on CBF