Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: putters vs bats...  (Read 580 times)

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
putters vs bats...
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:50:35 PM »

this may turn into a ramble, so I apologise in advance...

I have been struggling with my putting (push right being a typical fault) so I went on the web and would you believe it, I found a golf forum. The upshot was that the experts on this place felt that my putting swing was wrong for a centre shafted putter and i should try something new... can you believe that (sound familiar?!!)

now before you ask, I have had the same putter for 10 years and I think given it a decent go...!

So I surfed eBay for something different based around a series of set parameters.

I found and fell in love with an Odyssey pro-type no6  putter, which I found at a super price.

www.odysseygolf.com/odyssey-protype-tour-series-6-putter/putters-2012-protype-tour-6,en_US,pd.html

Would you believe that even though it was the most beautiful putter ever, I couldn't use it. My distance was off, horribly.
So I was left with one putter I shanked with and one that I smashed the ball past with... Was I going to have to flog my new pride and joy?

This morning I went to the putting green with both my putters and tried to work out which to use in the competition.

At which point I discovered that my new putter was half an inch longer than the other. Problem solved. Hold the new putter half an inch down, touch returned.

Moral. Practice with what you have. Be patient with your new equipment.
If in doubt buy a new bat.

oh and I have a new trophy now too :D
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

Johnny

• Administrator
  • World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Re: putters vs bats...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

I would say that using a centre shafted putter is equivalent to using a GM skipper when you could have a TK pro.

I swung a golf club in anger for the first time in nearly 14 years today and think I might have fallen back in love with the game
Email - Johnny@CustomBats.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/CustomBatsForum
Facebook - www.facebook.com/CustomBatsForum

WalkingWicket37

• Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »

I'm hopeless at putting, maybe I need a new putter and bat!

Slightly off topic but it's been suggested I try putting left handed due to my dominant eye, does this mean I need to buy a left an right handed putter to try (and 2 more bats)??

Buzz

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »

I'm hopeless at putting, maybe I need a new putter and bat!

Slightly off topic but it's been suggested I try putting left handed due to my dominant eye, does this mean I need to buy a left an right handed putter to try (and 2 more bats)??

have you ever had a putting lesson? how much time do you spend practicing your putting... like batting, typically the more you work on your putting the more you will improve. there are loads of great drills you can do too.

on the right hand left hand thing, just do whatever is most comfortable.
I did a pretty unscientific survey on here about leading eyes and the impact on batting and there is negligible impact, I suspect the same for putting.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

Advertise on CBF