Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Delamination. Stick or twist.  (Read 1884 times)

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Straight up.
Delamination. Stick or twist.
« on: May 23, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »

So, I posted a short while back about my match bat which has started to delaminate.

It's going like a train, but I am getting worried that if I don't get if sorted it will fail on me.

I've read a bit that when they are fixed, that area can become dead.

Should I put a scuff sheet on and carry on, or get it fixed?

It's not falling apart yet, and I'm not worried about buying a new bat, if this is just the way it is with this grade of willow (H4L Pro grade).

If I'll get the best by sticking a scuff on I will but a repair is another option.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

TangoWhiskey

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Review that.
Re: Delamination. Stick or twist.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

So, I posted a short while back about my match bat which has started to delaminate.

It's going like a train, but I am getting worried that if I don't get if sorted it will fail on me.

I've read a bit that when they are fixed, that area can become dead.

Should I put a scuff sheet on and carry on, or get it fixed?

It's not falling apart yet, and I'm not worried about buying a new bat, if this is just the way it is with this grade of willow (H4L Pro grade).

If I'll get the best by sticking a scuff on I will but a repair is another option.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

I am in the same boat. Sent my delaminating Oblivion off to GN for a refurb at the end of the season for a bit of R&R and a pamper, it has come back with all its cracks glued down and it doesn't seem to have damaged the performance in anyway. I was going to retire it so I didn't get GN to put a scuff sheet back on but now I am back using it I have ordered a few bits and pieces to give it a bit of TLC and hopefully prolong its life.

Chad

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+22)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 10:36:02 AM »

Get it repaired, I find delamination will kill the performance if not treated. I haven't really found the performance on my Laver to have dampened after the repair, but I have a TON bat which has delaminated during the knocking process, and although it still responds, it doesn't feel quite right and I feel it's wrong for the bat to delaminate without having faced deliveries... Go get Matt to fix her up, it will be worth it. :)

Out of interest, did delamination happen to bats often about 15 years ago? Or is this delamination so early on in the life of the bat quite a recent thing?

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Straight up.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »

Get it repaired, I find delamination will kill the performance if not treated. I haven't really found the performance on my Laver to have dampened after the repair, but I have a TON bat which has delaminated during the knocking process, and although it still responds, it doesn't feel quite right and I feel it's wrong for the bat to delaminate without having faced deliveries... Go get Matt to fix her up, it will be worth it. :)

Out of interest, did delamination happen to bats often about 15 years ago? Or is this delamination so early on in the life of the bat quite a recent thing?

Interesting point about days gone by.
Is it down to the softer pressing these days?

I'm minded to send it off to Matt and let him work his magic. Although he did talk me through the repair on the phone and I could have a go myself!

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Willoooowwwww
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »

Lad at our club has a gm icon that is delaminated. He's slightly attached to it, as he scored a few tons at junior, and 2nd team level with it.
In certain areas it fly, but others it sounds dead, and at items we believe it's cost him his wicket.

Our advice to him is buy a new one, so I offer you the same.
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

Chad

• International Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Interesting point about days gone by.
Is it down to the softer pressing these days?

I'm minded to send it off to Matt and let him work his magic. Although he did talk me through the repair on the phone and I could have a go myself!

Probably a mixture of the extra drying too, since the moisture levels are lower (due to demands for bigger bats) I'm guessing the adhesiveness of the natural glue in the wood decreases too. :-[ Trade off for instant performance I guess!

I agree with Smilley, send it to me and buy another. ;)

What glues do batmakers use to repair delamination? I'm guessing a more flexible one is ideal, such as animal glue, since you want it to have a bit of give, so the bond will remain after some use.

Seniorplayer

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »

In my experience 40 years ago when most willow was softer pressed they were lots of laminated bats being used players believed when delamination occurred in the hitting area the bat would give you maximum performance.

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Straight up.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »

I agree with Smilley, send it to me and buy another. ;)

No worries. I'll get it couriered over this afternoon. It's too good for me anyhow!

parthnayak

• First XI Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 12:27:10 PM »

Out of interest Chad, which TON of yours is getting delaminated? heritage or L.E.? I also acquired a huge TON which is only 1160 gms so I have strong belief, it is over dried .

Chad

• International Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 12:41:21 PM »

Out of interest Chad, which TON of yours is getting delaminated? heritage or L.E.? I also acquired a huge TON which is only 1160 gms so I have strong belief, it is over dried .

It's the TON Gold. Still responds, but it isn't quite right for a bat to delaminate like that without use. I may just remove the scuff and repair it!

Jenko

• International Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »

I think one should look no further than Michael Clarkes famed bat. He got that thing repaired - glued - and kept using it to score HEAPS more runs. If repairing it shagged the performance I doubt he would have kept using it no matter how sentimental it was to him.

mattw

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • PRYZM Cricket
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »

Get it repaired - fairly easy to do and it will continue to perform.

Too many people on this forum discard bats with cracks or delaminate - fixes are fairly straight forward and inexpensive compared to buying a new bat. 

fasteddie

• International Captain
  • Straight up.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »

So I spoke to B3, David to be precise. Decent chap.

He advised me to use it until there is a significant enough split in the playing surface so they can get access to the gap and then glue it.
Make it worse. Cruel to be kind.

Seems like I'll have to use a scuff sheet after all when it's repaired.

Number 11

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 07:37:39 PM »

I was just going to say leave it till a big enough surface crack appears to get some glue in.

Advertise on CBF