Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Advice for mental issues regarding stuck on scores.  (Read 669 times)

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Willoooowwwww
Advice for mental issues regarding stuck on scores.
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »

Not sure I have one, will find out to sat,

Some may or may not know, but I had a torrid winter. Ruptured my spleen mid December, spent a month in hospital, and then 3months consigned to a bed.
Spent the last 3months trying to get fit, but still very far from it(docs still recommend no play)

So didn't have no nets for near on 6months, having in the last 6 years, only ever had October off before starting winter nets again.

So I went int his year unfit without any nets, said I'd start midweek to ease myself in. First game 51! Dam near killed me, I had to sit out fielding was that knackered.

Not got many runs since.

Anyway last night before the game it was pointed out that my last 6 innings I had gotten 8 in all off them. 5 innings identical. 4, 2 and two 1s.

So went out I bat opening, cover drive the fielder got the hand on for one.
Two down the leg.
Full toss for 4.
One on the leg side through midwicket.

As I stood at the non strikers end I realised I was on 8! And had gone 4,2 two 1s again. My mind wandered, must get off this score, should I stick it out for a bad ball, nah nah, gonna ignore it play normal I'm being silly.

Got on strike. Big booming in swinging Yorker, and my middle stump cartwheeled off!

8 again!!

I don't expect to be in form due to my winter, but for a guy that has scored tons, and scored 800 runs last year, I don't think 8 is enough, so any ideas how to block out this score if I land on it again?
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

wilkie113

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+29)
Re: Advice for mental issues regarding stuck on scores.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

Don't get on 8, when you're on 7 hit a 6 :D

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »

Don't get on 8, when you're on 7 hit a 6 :D
Beat me to it!
Just hit a six and a 4 to avoid getting onto 8.

Sadly the score I've been getting stuck on this season is 0 so I can't do much about that one! :(

GarrettJ

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »

I'll give you some advice.

Ignore the scoreboard, don't count your score and don't count the balls. After 5-10 overs take a look. There is not much you will do differently in those 5-10 overs if you don't know your teams score than if you did know it.

I have a similar problem to you, Basically I'm very very dodgy at the the start of an innings. Either I'm not in the right frame of mind, I'm not moving my feet, I'm not comfortable with my surroundings etc etc. but once I get past 20 I'd say 75% of the time I get 50 and once I've got that probably 75% of the time I go one to make 100+.
retired 2006
retired 2014
retired 2018

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Willoooowwwww
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »

Although great advice my next two games are at home, and it's very difficult to avoid our scoreboard!

If I get 8 in those two games, it may well be too late to try in an away game, as I may have retired and burnt my kit!
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

GarrettJ

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

When the bowler is running in you shouldn't look at it, he just after every ball turn the other way and when not facing. If you can't do that then as soon as you look at it try to think about something not related to cricket like Turkey at Christmas or Dungeons and Dragons cartoon that was on ITV.

You basically need to stop focussing on your score and forget about it all together. It should be a case of looking at the scoreboard after say 5 overs and saying, how am I on x, didnt realise I had that much.
retired 2006
retired 2014
retired 2018

arsenal123

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »

Completely agree, I don't think about my score until im on at least 25, up until that stage I'm just batting.

A few mates and I were chatting about cricket and all its silly superstitions.  How we get out on certain numbers, need to put a pad on first, all the silly things we think about as the bowlers running in etc.  At this point we asked my mate from Yorkshire if he had anything like that... His reply was simple.  'Don't get it, just bat'.

Very similar to Geoffrey's comments to Plunkett on joining Yorkshire, 'don't think, just bowl'.

Seniorplayer

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »

Agree with GarrettJ don,t think about the score or look at the scoreboard just bat that's what  i do.

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Willoooowwwww
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 06:57:57 PM »

That may be a problem.

All my life I have always counted. And have always been correct when I leave the field. And when I'm being clapped at milestones.

It will be very hard to ignore.as it has always been my way of concentrating and not letting my mind wonder.
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

joeljonno

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 07:31:21 PM »

I count everything. Helps me concentrate. Runs, balls in over, other batsman's score (when we open together).

It is an unfortunate run that will end at some point.

Twitter - @joeljonno

smilley792

• Forum Legend
  • Willoooowwwww
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »

I broke the hoodoo!

Firstly it was with a lower score of 6, but then I've gone 40 and 49* since.

And I did it in the most cbf way possible. I bought some new pads and gloves. And it helped me immensely.

New kit works every time!! Lol
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

Advertise on CBF