Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Gym?  (Read 1507 times)

Master Blaster

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Gym?
« on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:10 AM »

Anyone here go to the gym on a regular basis? To build muscle and/or cricket related strength training?

I started serious training about 6 months ago and I noticed a hell of a differnce in my bowling & batting. Im a genuine allrounder and Its tough to balance the fitness beween the 2 disciplines. I need to do more cardio but man it really helps with my game.
The anticipation of him emerging from the pavilion, and his walk from the boundary to the centre, is almost surreal. The sound of a passionate Indian crowd all chanting "Sachin, Sachin" as they wait in anticipation, followed by the enormous roar when he emerges onto the field, is electrifying.

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+39)
Re: Gym?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »

I go to the gym on a regular basis. Throughout my 20s I used to go 5 times a week.
But now I am happier doing one weights session a week, but mix it with 3-4 runs a week.

Weights are ok to build strength, and actually weights do speed up your matabolism too. But I would always say that cardio is absolultely essential to include. Another discipline to include is stretching and core strength building. I know it sounds alot to include but if you maybe pencil in 2 jogging sessions a week, mixed with some weight training and lots of stretching, then this should see you gain the best of all round fitness and agility!

Apple

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »

Im to young to go to the gym so i set up circuits/dumbell training to keep my fitness levels up, as i have had a weight problem,

but the amount of work I'm doing with middlesex/schools is ridiclous, 7hours and 15 minuts from friday-to sunday this week,

the more fit i have got the better i have got as well

aidy1098

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • aidy1098
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

i know this is going to sound strange - but im now a better player since ive been chubby and unfit - yes my fielding has got worse but my all round game is better now than it was 2 years ago ( when i was skinny and really fit )

How Stupid!, Maybe its called Progression and Experience and the fact that its been 2 years, you dont get better depending on weight, except for maybe hitting bigger sixes!, u may get worse but not better lol
Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail... Me

Cover Drive

• First XI Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »

i know that aidy - i was just saying , as they said the fitter they got the better they got

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »

Cover Drive - I think that Aidy was right - you have got more experienced at the game.
And the danger is that the more unfit you become, the more prone to injury you will get!
Cricket is a game where you are twisting and turning alot, whether it be turning between runs, diving to each side, or twisting and sliding during fielding.
Therefore I would always say that even if you don't worry too much about endurance or cardio or weights, then at the very least you need to do agility and flexibility to try to ensure that you avoid twisting injuries.

Apple

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »

not to mention the amount of strain bowling puts on your body

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »

Bowlers get injured more than anyone really - especially side strains and ankle problems.
So they need to do lots of running to strengthen around their ankles! I did some triathlon training whilst I was contracting in Wales, and as soon as one of the coaches saw me swim, they knew i did loads of running cos my ankles were so stiff in the water!!
I think that if you dont exercise when you are young, then injuries may not occur straight away, but give it a few years and the cracks will start to show!

Master Blaster

• First XI Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »

OMG... This is going to be my 100th post

*punchs the air, looks at sky, raises bat, shakes non-strikers hand...its 100 number 50 for the little master*

Its very addictive especially weight training.

For cricket specific weight training:

I do squats/leg presses for my legs ham/quads.

Deadlifts for my lower back (these helped a lot I dont feel strain at all bowling flat out)

And Chest/Arms/Shouldes/Traps 9usual exercises for these bench etc;)

Pretty much the whole package.

Im a pace bowler and the strain on my back is tremendous especially when all my job is to blast the batsman out bowling as hard as I can. I initially only come on opening for 4-6 hard overs but now Im getting long spells of hard & fast bowling. Its very satisfying watching my efforts yield results.

As mentioned my batting power has improved as well in terms of pure strength.
The anticipation of him emerging from the pavilion, and his walk from the boundary to the centre, is almost surreal. The sound of a passionate Indian crowd all chanting "Sachin, Sachin" as they wait in anticipation, followed by the enormous roar when he emerges onto the field, is electrifying.

Advertise on CBF