Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any linseed oil or bat wax to keep colour as white  (Read 3646 times)

azim91

• Village Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any linseed oil or bat wax to keep colour as white
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 10:40:59 PM »

I have a trick to maintain the whiteness.

Don't oil or wax, merely replace after 2 months.

tell that to my bank balance

azim91

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »

I reckon I'll add a coat of bat wax... if its too dark I could sand it lightly, but this Warbird is just too nice looking for the colour to change!

Chalkie

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »

I have a theory that the more a bat is exposed to the sun the more it will change colour especially if it has been oiled. So do what I do and bat for as little time as possible  ;) and keep a cover on them when not in use.

Maybe a scientist on here can confirm whether that is likely - chemical reaction?

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 10:51:59 PM »

I reckon I'll add a coat of bat wax... if its too dark I could sand it lightly, but this Warbird is just too nice looking for the colour to change!

I think that the new look or the oiled look are equally as attractive as each other.

Wilma had one light coat of oil all over before I applied a scuff sheet, and still looks very white.
Norman was prepared by Chad, I don't know how many coats of what were applied before the scuff sheet, but there is a more "aged" look to the willow.
I think both look brilliant though.

CrickFreak

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 10:59:40 PM »

The face of my H4L had a tape on it so didnt bother to remove it and oil. I used salix bat wax on the rest of the exposed area.  Looks white from front and back is not too bad.
But practically, once you start using it the face doesnt look white after few games/nets anyways :) unless you clean the face after every use  ;)

Eliotroberts

• First XI Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 11:26:17 PM »

Aldred bat wax better than the readers stuff ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodyspin

• International Captain
  • www.twitter.com/thewoodyspin
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »

Aldred bat wax better than the readers stuff ??

You cant stop spending ;)

Eliotroberts

• First XI Captain
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 11:29:57 PM »

You cant stop spending ;)
Only few buddy

Woodyspin

• International Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »

Only few buddy

Yep i know haha ive still yet to get any extra i need

brokenbat

• International Captain
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 11:44:24 PM »

I actually make it a point to oil ASAP to change the color from white to that beautiful "oiled" brown. I think that is how a cricket bat is supposed to look.

azim91

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »

There's also a different theory on whether to oil the back as well or just the face + edges. Really don't understand why there isn't just a simple rule and why people have theories.

Woodyspin

• International Captain
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 12:09:42 AM »

Who made the thread of thw experimenting with oil and wax surely that would help here? @uknsaunders @walkingwicket37

Chad

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+22)
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 12:52:10 AM »

There is a simple rule, oil the exposed areas and avoid the splice. If you have a scuff sheet already fitted, then you obviously don't need to oil the face. Simples. :) If you're going to attach a scuff sheet, but the willow feels very dry, give it a light sanding with fine sandpaper, and then brush off sandings before scuffing. If you're really wanting you, you can oil prior to scuffing, however you'll have to wait at least 4 days for the oil to soak in completely/evaporate to a point where it doesn't prevent the scuff sheet from sticking.

A tip would be to apply one very light coat of oil and round the edges, then scuff up a few days later and knock it in. Rounding the edges earlier will help reduce the chance of the scuff sheet wrinkling as you don't need to round them with the scuff on. :) You don't have to oil to round the edges, I just oil sometimes before rounding the edges if the bat is flat faced, to help prevent cracks.

If you don't scuff, then 2-4 coats of oil on the face, edges and toe, waiting around 48 hours between each coat. (The number is entirely up to you) One thing you may have to do is actually sand the bat first, as some batmakers will use a polishing compound which prevents oil from penetrating the surface of the bat. Most of them use a compound which does allow oil to seep in, but not all from memory! 1-2 coats on the back of the bat.

I think that the new look or the oiled look are equally as attractive as each other.

Wilma had one light coat of oil all over before I applied a scuff sheet, and still looks very white.
Norman was prepared by Chad, I don't know how many coats of what were applied before the scuff sheet, but there is a more "aged" look to the willow.
I think both look brilliant though.

Hi Cam, my own special brew of oil was applied twice I believe. Takes a lot of lovin' to concoct the special brew. :D (Just kidding, 2 coats of linseed oil from memory)

brokenbat

• International Captain
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 01:01:50 AM »

There's also a different theory on whether to oil the back as well or just the face + edges. Really don't understand why there isn't just a simple rule and why people have theories.

No real difference of opinion on that.. Oil/wax and scuff sheets serve to prevent the moisture in the bat from leaving. So wherever the bat is NOT covered by stickers, sheets, tape etc..is where you apply the oil/wax. I always oil the back, cuz I love that golden brown color.

waikik

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 05:31:18 AM »

I did make my own bat-wax using white beeswax, its only has a touch of yellow in the bat
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Advertise on CBF