Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: H4L Workshop Quest!  (Read 3614 times)

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+39)
H4L Workshop Quest!
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:27:10 PM »

Twas a morn of Thursday, quite early as the chorus of birds sung from the trees when our two gallant heroes met in front of the draw bridge and lodgings!

''Did ye have a restful slumber Sir Hosk?'' asked the brave Sir Simon.
''I did, although my dwellings were short of willing wrenches and jovial laughter but my bed was large and they provided vessel full of drink and food for my fulfilment! I believe they call them machines of vending?''
The two knights laughed about these new inventions and both agreed that they missed their old fashioned banquets which they used to hold after storming villages, but raping and pillaging was frowned upon these days!
Sir Hosk thanked Sir Simon for bringing his noble steed and they climbed in. Sir Hosk looked back with an appreciative smile at ye olde Premier Inn as they made their way on their quest to find some sacred treasures. They soon found themselves travelling amongst the peasants and gentle folk of Kent going about their everyday business, all enveloped in their own lives.
The road was busy and well-trodden as they rode through the crowded streets. But gradually the roads became smaller and quieter as the Knights felt they were nearing their goal, unsure of the welcome they would get when they reached the sacred ground!
Eventually they rode into a village where local folk looked on them with obvious suspicion and distrust.

''Appledore, this is it I believe Sir Hosk''
''You have led us well and with honour Sir Simon!''
They turned down a hidden lane to the left of the local Inn, their excitement and anticipation mounting as they hoped this would be the final leg of their long journey. Sir Hosk suddenly drew his weapon as he heard rustling to his left. He prepared for the onslaught but it never came. Instead a flock of sheep grazed the field and some local wildlife scurried away from beneath the undergrowth by his side.
''Fear not Sir Hosk, for we are almost there!'' Sir Simon reassured them both!
They rounded the corner to a clearing and before them was the sight they had prayed they would find one day! It was Utopia in a life-like vision they had only dreamed of!
They put their mount in the open yard and looked nervously at each other, this is it now. Once they went beyond the entrance, they knew that there would be no turning back and no escape from the temptations that lie inside! They slowly turned towards the yard, took a deep breath, and started walking.
Sir Simon seemed strangely familiar with this willow haven.
''There be a shop of work over there, beyond the magic willow'', and pointed out a bright and mysterious doorway to their right. Sir Hosk turned immediately and headed towards it, passing the piles of willow that were drying in the morning sun, and stood in front of a grand doorway. His heart beat quicker as he reached for the handle and pulled on it. The door eased open with a slightly cumbersome feel and Sir Hosk stepped inside and took in the amazing sight that greeted him!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:49:48 PM by petehosk »

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
Re: H4L Workshop Quest!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 02:28:16 PM »

Twas a true sight of splendor where miracles happened. This was where the true wizard cast his spells and created ultimate weapons used by true warriors!
Sir Hosk staggered out into the sunshine where Sir Simon was excitedly riffling through raw clefts, his hands shaking as he found better and better possible weapons!
''Sir Hosk, we have indeed arrived in paradise!'' Sir Simon stated with a shocked look.
Before Sit Hosk had time to join Sir Simon sorting through the piles of clefts, he caught a shadowy figure from the corner of his eye. He turned and looked to see a smiling face across the dusty courtyard standing in a doorway.
''Who goes there?'' called Sir Hosk
Sir Simon recognised the Grand Wizard immediately and sort to calm Sir Hosk ''Relax Sir Hosk, it be the Wizard Matt Barton, Creator of the Holy sabre and keeper of the grainy clefts! He is our friend!''
Sir Hosk suddenly recognised the great wizard Barton from his last visit many years previously. Both knights walked across the courtyard and greeted the great wizard and went inside his dwellings for refreshment with milk and 2 sugars and a chocolate hobnob.
The loud sound of bells suddenly filled the air and the wizard grabbed the small white box on the bench and spoke into it. Then he wondered outside to talk into the box about weapons and bartering.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:51:42 PM by petehosk »

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

''It sounds like the exotic trader from many miles away who has been seeking the wizards attention for many moons'' Sir Simon informing Sir Pete.
Wizard Matt eventually finished speaking into the box and came back to his dwellings.
''That was a trader from the distant Kingdom of Swindonia. From this day forth, left him be known as 'Asad the Demanding'!'' the wizard informed both knights with a smile. But both Knights were aware that Asad from Swindonia was indeed a tough but fair trader who demanded only the greatest treasures for his Kingdom!

After several more minutes of discussing willow, they went outside to choose their clefts.
They were piled up and drying slowly in the sunshine, their moisture content slowing decreasing, only to be ready once they reached 12% or so.
They drew out naked cleft after naked cleft, the odd splinter irritating their skin as they both sorted enthusiastically through the endless piles. The grains were not always clear to see but the quality was clear to appreciate!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:53:01 PM by petehosk »

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »

Sir Simon was used to the mysterious calling from the clefts and the temptation from every corner. But Sir Hosk was slowly falling under the grain spell.
''I need a weapon to be hand made for me in the next couple of months, and it needs to be fit for the most brutal and viscous of battles!'' Sir Hosk demanded, ''but I know not the shape or balance for my weapon of choice!!''
After much discussion Sir Hosk was still undecided upon the profile and was about to give up when the Ginger Wizard of Temptation made a handled cleft appear out of nowhere.
''If you know not what shape, then cross my palm with silver and I can make you a test shape to duel with, the likes of which will make your hair curl and feel feathery in thy hands. Then create a custom in that same shape which will hold such ferocity and power, that other knights will look on it with true terror and envy'' the good wizard promised, and continued, ''Would this test cleft suit your needs Sir Hosk?''
Sir Hosk looked upon the test cleft and nodded, dumb-struck and unable to speak or confirm his wishes. Sir Simon thought nothing of the dumb look on Sir Hosk's face as this was a familiar Hosk look these days!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:54:42 PM by petehosk »

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »

Sir Hosk decided upon an NV profile in a long blade which would be 2'10 finished.
The grand wizard promised to weave his magic later that month to ensure that Sir Hosk could have time to sleigh many a leathery globe with it before the dark, chilly evenings drew in.
Sir Simon suddenly realised that Sir Hosk would need a special custom blade to follow soon after and made it his purpose to seek that perfect. There were so many to choose from that Sir Simon started to think that this could be an impossible quest! But he persevered and eventually found a cleft so stunning that its' image would become legendary to any with an eye for true beauty.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:55:23 PM by petehosk »

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:32:33 PM »

Both knights stroked the new cleft and soaked in its' magnificence. Sir Hosk was fully aware that he was not worthy of such a weapon and would not be able to do it justice, but hoped that the weapon would eventually lead him to new adventures and to scale new heights by using such an undeserving prize!
The grand Wizard told Sir Hosk that this would indeed make a magnificent weapon and that he could cast his magic spell upon such a grainy companion if this was he desired! Sir Hosk confirmed that this was his wish and the cleft was taken into the workshop to be hidden away until it was needed!
By now, both Knights were feeling tired and hungry and decided that they would track back to the local Inn for refreshment. They had one last look around and the grand wizard told them that the first weapon would be ready soon. As they parted, their hearts sank and they realised that they were walking away from a true willow paradise, the likes of which they would rarely see. They took one last look back to ensure they had a lasting memory of the great wizard at work.

As they sat in the local Inn they laughed and joked about their latest haul and decided that this was a journey they would repeat several times if the magic kingdom of Appledore continued to hold the same splendour as it did now.
Sir Hosks' passing thought as they rode away was his joy and excitement at what to expect from the grand wizard. And obviously the weapons will not exist until the finished photos are posted in this topic! So hopefully more to follow soon!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:56:54 PM by petehosk »

Alvaro

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 02:37:21 PM »

Have you been at the mead?

GoodLeave

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »

Pete... Are you OK?

Perhaps you've been out in the sun too long. Come and have a sit down.

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »

Too much mead hath passed my lips!!

smilley792

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »

I'll admit, I didn't read any of that. I just looked at the pics.
@chrisjones792
Fastest ton- 54balls

Churchy1989

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 02:59:34 PM »

@petehosk thank you for the post, a brilliant tale!

I can see you making a book which shall be bought by all cricketers to read to their young child!
Insta / Twitter @Church_Cricket

TCB

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • UK Handmade English Willow Bats
    • The Cricket Boutique
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »

Too much mead hath passed my lips!!

Top review however im not sure you can ever have too much mead!
English Willow, Handmade Cricket Bats. www.thecricketboutique.co.uk / @thecricketbtq / facebook.com/thecricketboutique/

ppccopener

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »

sounds like a cracking day out.

:)

Chalkie

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+10)
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 08:23:22 PM »

Love the write up Pete. Those clefts look stunning, can't wait to see the finished weapon.

petehosk

• Administrator
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:33:44 PM »

Thanks for your kind words and I hope to add to it in the next couple of weeks
Pages: [1] 2

Advertise on CBF