Australian Model GN's 17/18
Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Australian Model GN's 17/18  (Read 14383 times)

DorsetDan

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Australian Model GN's 17/18
« on: July 29, 2017, 04:07:15 AM »

I realised @Shinpathy 's Signature thread was in danger of getting derailed so I thought it might be nice to post general Aus GN new model thoughts here...

The Gem was a standout (https://www.kingsgrovesports.com.au/gray-nicolls-gem-bat-2017-18.html). I suspect anyone looking for a crazy light bat and likes a bit of GN will be all over these. @Seniorplayer ? Great to see something different with the super light concept and I guess that is a direction other companies may follow GN with since the size restrictions have come in.

Faces looked lovely despite supposedly being G2 (see below with how disappointing the high end bats looked), profile is a solid all rounder... not much to dislike if light is your thing. I do agree @well past my peak in the Signature thread that the look is maybe better for the player who can appreciate a classy look (laser engraving is lovely for example) and might not grab the yoof who might realistically be the ones they suit more.

Rest of GN stuff is much of a muchness. Small to medium edge, average spine, just varying the middle position. Bad picture but you get the idea.

I wonder if the Elite at the top will stay as is or if this is a one off from the early run? Tiny toe and shoulder but must be at least a 70mm spine and very full too. Expensive at the moment but if they stay this shape and size and come down in price over time I'd expect these to be popular. My suspicion though is they'll knock 10mm off the spine from now on though and it'll be another generic shape from GN

The reason I suspect that particular high spine Elite might get slimmed down is I also found a single naughty sized Atomic.

This Atomic seemed the same as @Jaffa 's in not only being huge, but light and by far the best balanced GN with the best pickup. Handle is a bit thicker than other GN's too which is a massive plus in my book. The other Atomics on the shelf were significantly smaller  and didn't feel anything special at all.

Another thing that was noticeable was how ugly the GN's in store were, especially at the high price ranges. I know looks don't make a bat but if I'm going to pay insane money then it would be nice to look at least average.

That said, among the remaining (ugly) XP80's was this:

I'll dig around a few more shops while I am here but my overall impression of the new GN bats was a bit meh. If I were in Aus and looking for a bat then NB looked great and along with GM seemed to offer a bigger range of shapes. GM still have the best handle shape in my eyes too.

GN pads are a million times better than UK ones though so that will be my treat  :D

Wickets-then-runs

• County 1st XI
Re: Australian Model GN's 17/18
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 05:13:04 AM »

I agree completely with the above! In GCCC this morning andwas completely underwhelmed by the GN offering. The Kookaburra stuff (with the exception of the ridiculously priced Khwaja model) was pretty average as well.

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »

Yep, Kook and GN seem to be on the same road of bang average shapes, average feel, high prices and generally ugly faces. I don't mind any of those things but not at the asking prices. The UK models maybe don't set the world alight but they don't cost anywhere near as much either while on average managing to look far nicer (though I can't comment on how each go on a quick look).

The only other bats besides the GM and NB that felt nice and seemed to have a good thing going where those gimmicky Impala's. They may be crazy expensive at the higher end but at least they were decently balanced and look at least close to being worth their asking price... in context with other Aus pricing anyway .... :)

The bigger Atomic here felt so, so good which makes me wonder why more bats don't have that balance and interesting look going on... I think the shoulder stamps might answer that question but I wasn't observant enough to note it down  :(  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:42:26 AM by DorsetDan »

procricket

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+32)
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »

Love the Atomic finally somebody has update the zizi

"Doubt whoever but never doubt yourself"

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:16:29 AM »

The new (?) Atomic's were quite different to the one in my pic and much more average looking, just a thin edge mid middle GN with an offset edge and no bow. At least it would still be different to the other GN models I guess.

It would be a shame if the Zizi style early ones disappear- flippin' lovely balance and a 2,8 45mm edge, large coverage shape isn't too shabby :)

Jaffa

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »

I hope you've taken a bag big enough to fit some bats in.

If you were to buy a naughty Atomic over there don't they remove the VAT?
Tell it to my bread in the morning. You just became my backup toaster.

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »

It is pretty complicated but as far as I can make out it is along the lines of paying in full in store including GST, amount of all goods must be over 300 dollars to qualify, get a tax invoice from the shop, show the goods and invoice at the airport before clearing border control to get a refund on GST. Then on entering the UK, you have to declare goods worth more than 390, paying 2.5% import duty and also import VAT at 20%.

So if an item is more than 300 dollars but less than 390gbp you can get GST off and pay no import duty or import VAT by flying with it unlike if those lower value items were shipped. If an item is more than 390 then you have a potential ton of hassle while travelling and only save the shipping costs.

Everything is an advantage being here, unless it is worth more then 390gbp.

On low value items under 300 dollars, for example if I buy pads for 180 dollars, I have no choice but to pay GST but have no hassle getting them in to the UK (besides my bag not being big enough!). Even if I buy a bag for them and pay GST it works out better than having them shipped without GST, paying shipping and paying import duties/ VAT. So I guess small benefit to actually be in Aus

I wouldn't buy the Atomic for 450gbp anyway but if I did desperately want it then I think I'd rather have it shipped home

Easy huh!  :(  :D

On another note, this has made me realise I have a really sad Saturday evening  :o
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:52:16 AM by DorsetDan »

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »

I still chuckle to myself about Impala's rather unfortunate IS branding

Did you buy that XP80?  :D

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »

Did you buy that XP80?  :D

Nah, toe is too skinny  ;) If I wanted a chunky bit of wood with a decent toe I'd track down that smooth fella from the Netherlands  ;) :D Well, to be truthful I may have bought a UK made high spine bat for silly money with a thick shoulder and toe already before travelling but I'm not sure if my wife reads the forum....

Only a Warner now can restore my faith in the hype surrounding Aus made GN's... Kingsgrove here I come (maybe)  :D

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

I still chuckle to myself about Impala's rather unfortunate IS branding

You mean the IS that rips off the SF logotype? :)

The comically sized knob on the Impalas are worth a chuckle too  :o  :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 11:03:02 AM by DorsetDan »

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »

Oh, Meuleman's... why are you on the wrong side of Aus?

So tacky... but gold... GOLD! :)

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »

@DorsetDan , have you been to Mueleman's?

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »

Ah you beat me to it. 😄

Did you see the 50 mm edge 2-12 Signature?

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »

Oh, Meuleman's... why are you on the wrong side of Aus?

Used it in a net, friend has one that is 2-8. Ping was out of this world!!!! Too light foe me but very impressed with XXX11. Mueleman's are made by Stu Kranzbuhler.

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

@InternalTraining I'm doing Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney so not even close to visiting there unfortunately. Fairly sure the Signatures in GCCC were the smaller ones but they were kept behind the counter and having seen a 50+ in the flesh I knew it was a bat I wasn't too fussed on so didn't look too hard

If Kingsgrove have a Warner it would be interesting to take a look.

GN pads that aren't overly bulky unlike the UK ones and are have a subdued colour scheme are my definite buy. I liked the 50+ pads but if I can find something similar but cheaper I'll go for them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Advertise on CBF