Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Edge batmaking  (Read 10459 times)

alexhilly1492

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Edge batmaking
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2019, 03:53:54 PM »

I love B3, but that's nonsense.

The bat size regulations are now part of the laws, like they're literally written there in black and white. They're as much as part of the laws as the lbw rule. The laws of cricket apply to every game of cricket, whether amateur or professional. Unless the game you are playing in has specific exemptions written into the playing conditions, then this applies to you.

I'm not sure how clearer I can make this. What is it that you're not understanding? Do you not understand that they're in the laws, or do you not understand that the laws apply to all forms of cricket unless overruled by specific playing conditions?

MCC has announced specific limitations on the size of cricket bats that will be included in the new Code of Laws.

Bat size limitations to become Law, modes of dismissal to be reduced and language of the Laws to cater for both sexes.
Batsmen will be protected from bouncing bat run outs.
New Code of Laws will be the first to be issued since 2000.
After the new Code is issued on 1 October 2017, the maximum dimensions of a cricket bat will be 108mm in width, 67mm in depth with 40mm edges.

The move comes after consultations with bat manufacturers, the Federation of International Cricketers Associations, International Cricket Council, MCC World Cricket committee, umpires associations and other global governing bodies on the balance between bat and ball.

A bat gauge will ensure that the new limits are adhered to in the professional game, whilst a moratorium period, allowing players to use their existing bats which may be in breach of the Law, will be allowed in the amateur game. The length of the moratorium will be determined by local governing bodies and may vary for different levels of cricket

to quote @SLA  "Im not sure how clearer I can make this..." read the above including the red part
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:56:25 PM by alexhilly1492 »
HS: 61*
BB: 7-4-9-5, 7.3-0-29-5

SLA

• County 1st XI
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:49 PM »

MCC has announced specific limitations on the size of cricket bats that will be included in the new Code of Laws.

Bat size limitations to become Law, modes of dismissal to be reduced and language of the Laws to cater for both sexes.
Batsmen will be protected from bouncing bat run outs.
New Code of Laws will be the first to be issued since 2000.
After the new Code is issued on 1 October 2017, the maximum dimensions of a cricket bat will be 108mm in width, 67mm in depth with 40mm edges.

The move comes after consultations with bat manufacturers, the Federation of International Cricketers Associations, International Cricket Council, MCC World Cricket committee, umpires associations and other global governing bodies on the balance between bat and ball.

A bat gauge will ensure that the new limits are adhered to in the professional game, whilst a moratorium period, allowing players to use their existing bats which may be in breach of the Law, will be allowed in the amateur game.

to quote @SLA  "Im not sure how clearer I can make this..." read the above including the red part

Sigh. Why are you quoting an old out-of-date press release at me? Obviously I've read the old press release, I read it at the time, I'm well aware of what they claimed they were going to do, I'm not an idiot.

But the bottom line is, whether or not that is what they intended, it isn't what has happened. The new bat size limits ARE part of the laws, and the laws apply to all forms of cricket, by default.

So you can forget all this (No Swearing Please) about a moratorium until 2020. Unless your league has written an exemption into its playing conditions, the bat size laws do apply to YOUR league and have done so since the moment law 5.7 was introduced.
T20 cricket 1995-present, Saturday league cricket 1997-present.
L3 Cricket Coach, L2 Baseball Coach.
Running total: Countries played cricket in: 7. Counties played cricket in: 14

SLA

• County 1st XI
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2019, 04:03:25 PM »

I just checked the rules for the league I play in, there wasn't a single mention of bats under the equipment section

So law 5.7 is in force by default then, because presumably your league regs also say "All games to be played according to MCC Laws of cricket unless stated otherwise".

edge

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »

Edge,,,,,lovely lovely shape,,,,picks up like a feather Ill bet
Thanks mate, really pleased with how this one's turned out.

Big bats are definitely ok as long as you play below ECB prem leagues, similar to carbon handles etc etc. Perhaps take it to the bat laws thread if people really want to discuss the minutiae further!
HS: 156, BB: 7-20

Gurujames

• International Captain
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2019, 04:14:23 PM »

Good work Ed. Looks like a nice high middle and no doubt your trademark awesome shaped handle. Good job.

SLA

• County 1st XI
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2019, 04:22:55 PM »

Thanks mate, really pleased with how this one's turned out.

Big bats are definitely ok as long as you play below ECB prem leagues, similar to carbon handles etc etc. Perhaps take it to the bat laws thread if people really want to discuss the minutiae further!

Do you actually have a link to an actual law or regulation that states that though? Or is this just hearsay?

DorsetDan

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »

Lookin awesome Ed! Anything new for yourself this season?

SLA can you please quit clogging up threads repeating the same thing over and over? Maybe you are right maybe not.  Lets focus on the original thread eh

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2019, 05:07:35 PM »

Lookin awesome Ed! Anything new for yourself this season?
Cheers Dan, in an unusual move for me I haven't got any new sticks this year, although keeping this one for myself was tempting! The big one that started all this bat size chat off went so well last year I'm not even considering replacing it.

Tailendfielder

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »

Looks good Ed!

thecord

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »

Nice work again Ed, hope youre well and ready for the new season

velvetsky01

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2019, 07:59:24 PM »

Love the shape Ed your bat making skills are coming on no end!!
HS: 119*
Best Bowling 7.4-1-32-6

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2019, 10:58:03 PM »

Nice work again Ed, hope youre well and ready for the new season
Cheers Phil, looking forawrd to starting again! Best of luck to you and the Fram this year too.

edge

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »

All done and it's come up really nice I think, good size bat for a concave back and lovely looking butterfly stains:

alexhilly1492

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2019, 01:16:01 PM »

That's looks awesome mate

Love the character in that blade
HS: 61*
BB: 7-4-9-5, 7.3-0-29-5

jamesisapayne

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Best bowling: 8-3-15-6 Best batting: 111
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2019, 02:35:50 PM »

Lovely stuff Ed, some proper butterfly markings on that and nice looking grains - your workmanship is looking great!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Advertise on CBF