Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Edge batmaking  (Read 11166 times)

edge

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Edge batmaking
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »

Nice work again Ed. Another bat, another ton? Best wishes for the new season.
Ha thanks Justin, hopeful for more this season but not with this one - it's off to someone else, so hopefully they get a few too.

@Chompy9760 sounds like you might be unfamiliar with butterfly stain - no knots here! Butterfly is a staining of the wood caused when the tree is pruned or branches crack off and some of the colouring from the bark leaks into the wood - looks a bit funny to some but makes bloody good bats. https://www.laverwood.com/laver-woods-cricket-bat-lore-ch-5-butterfly-willow/
HS: 156, BB: 7-20

Chompy9760

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2019, 03:37:02 AM »

Not totally unfamiliar with butterfly, but obviously have plenty to learn!  Thanks for the link.  With a closer look I can see that the grains indeed go through the stain.

Sorry, I did not meed to imply that your bat had knots in it!  I remember reading on the JS Wright website that butterfly added to the strength of the bat, and was adding to it with my axe experiences.  Regrdless, I wouldn't be too proud to own that bat :)

jonny77

• County 1st XI
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2019, 06:41:06 AM »

Great effort again @edge. Did you find the Butterfly willow different to work with? I remember in one of Aldreds videos he's says he prefers working with it.

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »

Great effort again @edge. Did you find the Butterfly willow different to work with? I remember in one of Aldreds videos he's says he prefers working with it.
I don't find it too different to be honest, other than it can be a bit harder around the stain so you need to pay extra attention there.

edge

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »

Bat 007 ready for one of my clubmates, really pleased with the shape on this one. 2lb9.5 and just nips though the bat gauge.

edge

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2020, 04:03:04 PM »

Been a while since I posted in here! Handed over a lovely grainy butterfly today, to a clubmate who wanted a slightly modified version of his old bat - nice long middle fading away at the toe to keep the pickup light, just a smidge over 2lb 8oz. Hopeful that at some stage this season I'll get to walk out as part of of opening pair both using my bats!

Psi

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »

Looks great. Do you always play with your own bats? How do you find other makes compare?

Nice grains on that sofa too 😂

Psi

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »

You and @northernmonkey make them with very straight toe but with more rounded corners than other makers. Is this for extra durability? Why don't other makers do this so often?

jonny77

• County 1st XI
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2020, 04:13:34 PM »

Looks great mate 👍

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2020, 04:26:17 PM »

@Psi the majority of the time I use my own sticks yeah, the exception being a Puma I rebalanced that I usually carry as a spare, or if I fancy getting the Mongoose out! I'm obviously biased haha, but I prefer my own to mainstream brands - I get my part mades from the best suppliers I can so the performance isn't in doubt, and being able to shape them to your own preference is great.
Re. the toes, yeah it's durability - I like a flat toe, but round the corners so they're less susceptible to damage. Not a massive difference but prefer to to a traditional toe. Laver & Wood are the only well known brand who do them that way I think.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Advertise on CBF