Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: New bat counter weights  (Read 393 times)

potzy248

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
New bat counter weights
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

I know the guy who makes these and wanted to see your guys thoughts. Room for added extras I think (Like the chip that tells you how fast your bat speed is etc, maybe different weights as well).

I think they also might need to get approval from MCC if they wanted Pros using them (If they used them at all and didn't just use tape etc).

https://www.probalancecricket.com

Cheers.
Kane Williamson for Prime Minister.

DorsetDan

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: New bat counter weights
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »

Looks clean but personally I'd rather a properly balanced bat in the first place e.g. Heavy handle. Counter balances just seem to make a bat heavier and more see-sawey (technical term:) ) neither of which feel good to me. What people forget is if you make a bat "pick up" better for the same weight then you reduce the power for the same bat speed (not correct physics terms but it should make sense). Bat speed may compensate of course but it all seems like a bodge

Mattsky

• County 1st XI
  • "Cricket was my reason for living." Harold Larwood
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »

Laying aside the question of whether a properly balanced bat needs one for a second.
Seems quite a bit for a bit of lead and plastic.
And yep, it doesn't even say how heavy it is, or give a buyer any weight options, which would be good to see.
Not saying that it's not a good idea.
Just scant info on the site at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:49:59 PM by Mattsky »
"The only thing I've ever been interested in teaching anyone in life is cricket."
Peter O' Toole

Chad

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+22)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:51:54 PM »

Laying aside the question of whether a properly balanced bat needs one for a second.
Seems quite a bit for a bit of lead and plastic.
Doesn't even say how heavy it is, or give a buyer any weight options either.
Not saying that it's not a good idea.
Just scant info on the site.

I think it's 125g, or so it says on the product page. Can't help but feel that if you need more than an ounce or two of counterbalance, then the bat was just not balanced correctly for you? 125g is like 4.5oz off the top of my head, which is a huge amount. Agree with what Dan said, heavier handle is a better option.

Do they have any customisable weights for it? Maybe some discs that slot inside the cap that add say half an ounce? Or is it just one weight?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:58:52 PM by Chad »

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »

Both goods points

I would say 40-60g is what most people who are in to counter balances would use. Modular weights is a good idea and would separate it from other counterbalance products

Colour is another sticking point but I guess they had to go for something to stand out in this first instance

Price is reasonable(ish) if it includes shipping anywhere in the world
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:06:04 PM by DorsetDan »

potzy248

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »

Good points.

I suppose its for guys who buy a bat online or on impulse and find that actually the pick up is not what they expected. The weight for these first ones is set but I also said that putting a couple of different weighted discs in with the pack would be a good idea. I also said that you could put in some tech gizmo that would give feedback to an app on your phone would be a good idea even if the info hardly helped you become a better batsman kids would lap it up.
I did the balance test and obviously the balance point moved up the blade considerably.
Kane Williamson for Prime Minister.

Advertise on CBF