Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 64

Author Topic: Your 2018 Season  (Read 54113 times)

LEACHY48

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+3)
Re: Your 2018 Season
« Reply #810 on: August 26, 2018, 06:53:07 PM »

The 1s certainly won't be playing a better standard with the exception of against 2 or 3 sides. If you want a higher standard then you should join a Home Counties side, or an aspiring Home Counties club, play 2s to start with and get into 1s. Their 2s, and in some instances 3s, will be playing a higher standard than Chalfont next year in TVL.

This is true, Chalfont only won the chlterns super league this year so they enter at TVL 4, which has no independent umpires and generally is not a great league in terms of ground you play at.

Amersham is an absolutely cracking place to play, top blokes and the wicket is flat and hard and spins. Of the teams youve looked at, Amersham would be my choice. @mohawks94

Failing that, come and play at kidmore end which is the best ground in division 2 and definitely a team that made me feel very welcom 2 years ago
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 06:55:11 PM by LEACHY48 »

meats

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #811 on: August 26, 2018, 07:09:09 PM »

Had mixed reviews about dressing room atmosphere, closed shop first teams, and one of them a person who bullied me at school plays there, which I didn't know until I netted with them.

Can't see Amersham or Chesham being closed shop first teams, could possibly see Wycombe being hard to break into as they've been very successful in recent times so will attract/buy in very good players.

Wycombe 2s and 3s certainly aren't closed shop. Have a look at their 3s, just been promoted to div 2 yet they have an ex Coleshill opening bat, who you've probably played against, and a player who was a Taplow 2s bat before wanting to try at a higher level as he's a young lad. He went to Wycombe and has improved a hell of a lot.

If you want to improve as a player, which clearly you do based on playing a decent level in Sussex and spending the winter in Oz, then Chalfont would not be where I'd be playing next season. Nothing against Chalfont when I say that.

LEACHY48

• International Captain
« Reply #812 on: August 26, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »

Can't see Amersham or Chesham being closed shop first teams, could possibly see Wycombe being hard to break into as they've been very successful in recent times so will attract/buy in very good players.

Wycombe 2s and 3s certainly aren't closed shop. Have a look at their 3s, just been promoted to div 2 yet they have an ex Coleshill opening bat, who you've probably played against, and a player who was a Taplow 2s bat before wanting to try at a higher level as he's a young lad. He went to Wycombe and has improved a hell of a lot.

If you want to improve as a player, which clearly you do based on playing a decent level in Sussex and spending the winter in Oz, then Chalfont would not be where I'd be playing next season. Nothing against Chalfont when I say that.

Couldnt agree more, playing at a good club at a higher level makes you a better player, Chalfont just dont have the resources places like Wycombe Chesham Amersham finchamstead etc have

meats

• First XI Captain
« Reply #813 on: August 26, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »

Couldnt agree more, playing at a good club at a higher level makes you a better player, Chalfont just dont have the resources places like Wycombe Chesham Amersham finchamstead etc have

Correct, not one of my favourite grounds either and if I'm right in saying it's a park then guessing not much scope for improving facilities. I could be wrong on the park front but the car parking situation makes me think it could well be a recreational ground? I think out of the new clubs for this season Binfield are the best placed to compete in the higher divisions, good colts section, decent deck and ground but abysmal teas to let them down! Wraysbury might get up to div 2 but if their payroll shuts down then they'll quickly fall away.

Couple of alternatives would be Gerrards Cross and potentially Harefield but I think there might be a drop off in standard between their 2s and 3s. Having a quick look around I'd also choose Amersham out of those options.

mohawks94

• County 1st XI
« Reply #814 on: August 26, 2018, 07:47:35 PM »

Ideal scenario I get a well paid job and keep playing at Ansty.
Mate who plays at Chesham says that Amersham were arguing between themselves all the way through the game, plus their overseas bowls 20+ overs of spin each week.

Chesham, where my protg now plays, I've heard of a lack of depth beyond 1s.

Wycombe is further, lad I coach with who was Bucks u18s can't get a game in the 1s (now at Chesham) and says the atmosphere wasn't great.

Im playing at Amersham on 9th September, so will see how that goes. I like the ground, skipper was keen for me to come along and play 1s. But they have the kid who bullied me.

Gerrards are literally next door to my grandparents, haven't spoken with them at all. Harefield I have considered but it is further than Amersham, Chesham etc.

mohawks94

• County 1st XI
« Reply #815 on: August 26, 2018, 07:49:01 PM »

Correct, not one of my favourite grounds either and if I'm right in saying it's a park then guessing not much scope for improving facilities. I could be wrong on the park front but the car parking situation makes me think it could well be a recreational ground? I think out of the new clubs for this season Binfield are the best placed to compete in the higher divisions, good colts section, decent deck and ground but abysmal teas to let them down! Wraysbury might get up to div 2 but if their payroll shuts down then they'll quickly fall away.

Couple of alternatives would be Gerrards Cross and potentially Harefield but I think there might be a drop off in standard between their 2s and 3s. Having a quick look around I'd also choose Amersham out of those options.

Chalfont is, as you say, in the middle of a council estate with not much parking and the oiks at the local football club getting in the way whilst steaming every Saturday. Deck suits me as a bowler, and I can literally see the ground from my room.

Novak

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #816 on: August 26, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »

Mohawks there's always Burnham and Slough :)

meats

• First XI Captain
« Reply #817 on: August 26, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »

Ideal scenario I get a well paid job and keep playing at Ansty.
Mate who plays at Chesham says that Amersham were arguing between themselves all the way through the game, plus their overseas bowls 20+ overs of spin each week.

Chesham, where my protg now plays, I've heard of a lack of depth beyond 1s.

Wycombe is further, lad I coach with who was Bucks u18s can't get a game in the 1s (now at Chesham) and says the atmosphere wasn't great.

Im playing at Amersham on 9th September, so will see how that goes. I like the ground, skipper was keen for me to come along and play 1s. But they have the kid who bullied me.

Gerrards are literally next door to my grandparents, haven't spoken with them at all. Harefield I have considered but it is further than Amersham, Chesham etc.

The overseas could potentially be an issue but will he be back next season? Even if you play their 2s you'll be playing div 2 cricket I think, you'll also have access to better facilities, players and coaches so your game is bound to improve. Worst case and you start in their 3s then you'll be playing div 4 stuff but if you do well you'll have the option of going into a higher team, something which Chalfont can't offer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bullying part, you're early to mid 20s now and I'm sure the skip will put your old bully into place if he does anything.

meats

• First XI Captain
« Reply #818 on: August 26, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »

Mohawks there's always Burnham and Slough :)

Not sure he'd fit in there...😂. Not sure what other spinners are at Burnham but can't see Farhaan being dropped from the 1s so that's one place down.

mohawks94

• County 1st XI
« Reply #819 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »

I think the overseas has been there a few seasons now. Their 1s are home counties 2, 2s are tvl 1 or 2.

Novak

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #820 on: August 26, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »

:) ha ha

LEACHY48

• International Captain
« Reply #821 on: August 26, 2018, 08:07:08 PM »

@mohawks94 I was chatting to a load of the Amersham 2s lads and they said that the OS pro has been there for 5 years and is staying and will continue to bowl as much as he does because he carries the team however, with that being said, their 2s play a decent standard and are probably pushing for a Div 1 promotion next year as long as their availability doesnt let them down. The problem with Home Counties teams as a whole is that they rely on 1 or 2 players to carry the team, generally, that is one gun batsman and one gun spinner. And those that arent paid players generally dont get a look in, I find a lot of big clubs tend to buy players in rather than blood players from lesser teams. However, the answer to that is: play at a club where you enjoy your cricket and get a look in, lets say a div 2 side take 30 wickets and score a few runs and then youll have clubs looking to pay you to play and then they will rely on you for a bucket load of overs. Thats how TVL works.

Gurujames

• International Captain
« Reply #822 on: August 26, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »

Thats sound advice jake.
Its not where you play, its who you play with. Enjoy your cricket and form will follow.

meats

• First XI Captain
« Reply #823 on: August 26, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »

Sound advice indeed.

mohawks94

• County 1st XI
« Reply #824 on: August 26, 2018, 08:52:47 PM »

Cheers @LEACHY48 I've been in touch with my contact at Amersham about going there after what you've said. Realised an additional bonus of going there is that two of my old heads of year play there, mostly 2s, and are fantastic blokes. One of them is a leggie who bowls off the wrong foot, the other a good bat.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 64

Advertise on CBF