Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]

Author Topic: Your 2018 Season  (Read 35801 times)

RPC/Blueroom Cricket - Adie

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Your 2018 Season
« Reply #915 on: November 05, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »

Played my last competitive cricket of the year on Saturday. Finished off our Uni Indoor season with 4 wins from 7 which is the best return in the club's history! We won 3 from 3 on Saturday after starting with 1 from 4 in the two previous weeks. Last Sunday saw us get battered by Sheffield, but considering they have a membership base 5 or 6 times bigger than ours, it wasn't exactly unexpected (We have about 17 members all told, they have 90 odd and turn people away i hear)

On Saturday we knocked off 123 off the last ball of the game against Sheffield 2's, before cleaning up Hull for 60 odd and chasing it none down, before beating Bradford inside 8 overs after they posted 80. Was a seriously good day and after 2 years of being slapped senseless it was nice to finish with a positive record!

The only negative was one of our players turning up 35 minutes late to the bus, and as a result we left him out of the first game. We then decided we couldn't change a winning team so went into the second game without him again, which made him sulk and stand 20 yards away from anyone else and refuse to help score. I sat out of the last game to let him play as my hip was a bit stiff and managed not to sulk  ;)

Not defending the being late but.. why should he be happy to score etc and not play? Unless youre a win at all costs person you want to play not watch. You missing though choice feels different to being left out too so hardly comparable.

That is off topic though sorry. Just annoys when people make out peoooe should be happy to be part of a team when they either dont do anything or dont even play

jayralh

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #916 on: November 05, 2018, 08:25:57 PM »

That's exactly the reason people stop playing  or move club. players come and pay to play not to watch.

NT50

• First XI Captain
« Reply #917 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23:45 PM »

He was due to be in the starting 6, but after turning up late for the 3rd consecutive trip/training session and not offering an apology (smirking as he stepped on the mini bus) a message had to be sent. He also turns up conveniently after the fitness element of training.

Everyone has at some point had to sit out apart from our captain, and hes the only that has sulked.

On the other hand, would you be happy if you were the lad who was left out and a player who has disrespected everyone on the mini bus by turning up late because he couldnt be bothered to get out of bed until meet time played in your place?

LateBloomer

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #918 on: November 06, 2018, 05:28:32 AM »

He was due to be in the starting 6, but after turning up late for the 3rd consecutive trip/training session and not offering an apology (smirking as he stepped on the mini bus) a message had to be sent. He also turns up conveniently after the fitness element of training.

Everyone has at some point had to sit out apart from our captain, and hes the only that has sulked.

On the other hand, would you be happy if you were the lad who was left out and a player who has disrespected everyone on the mini bus by turning up late because he couldnt be bothered to get out of bed until meet time played in your place?

Im with you, its not difficult to turn up on time. There may be the odd uncontrollable factor but persistent lateness is disrespectful to those who turn up on time and are then sat waiting

We get fined if we are late to meets on match days and everyone has paid up when they have been late without whinging and crying. The point of this is not to extract huge sums of money from people or to punish them - we actually want everyone there on time so we can get to the games early, as a team, and prepare the best we can. It worked well for us last season and my current club finished the season in its best ever positions for both the 1st and 2nd teams

My previous club was so slack in this regard. Turning up in 1s and 2s whenever they felt like it. The captain himself turned up a few times after the toss was scheduled. It was indicative of a poorly organised club who have now suffered 2 relegations in the past 2 seasons and lost their 3rd team completely. Village from top to bottom

That's exactly the reason people stop playing  or move club. players come and pay to play not to watch.

Disagree. I would suggest that if someone is consistently late without good reason they are already on the downward slope towards not playing atall

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #919 on: November 06, 2018, 06:40:16 AM »

Did you miss the point about not defending someone being late ?!?!

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #920 on: November 06, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »

To be fair someone's got to sit out, these uni indoor days where you have a few games you always have to take extra players. Been the one to sit out on occasions, it's not fun, but then other times I played and someone else sat out. If someone turned up late for the bus they'd have been the one dropped for sure! Or to be honest I'm not sure we'd have waited...

Good stuff @NT50 , if Bradford are anywhere near as good as when I played them in a uni tournament a few years back then that's a cracking result.
HS: 126, BB: 7-20

NT50

• First XI Captain
« Reply #921 on: November 06, 2018, 10:32:51 AM »

To be fair someone's got to sit out, these uni indoor days where you have a few games you always have to take extra players. Been the one to sit out on occasions, it's not fun, but then other times I played and someone else sat out. If someone turned up late for the bus they'd have been the one dropped for sure! Or to be honest I'm not sure we'd have waited...

Good stuff @NT50 , if Bradford are anywhere near as good as when I played them in a uni tournament a few years back then that's a cracking result.

I sat out of the first 3 games last season, and then played the fourth,took my chance and have been in the team ever since! And i agree, had i been in charge on the day he would have been left behind and not selected for the rest of the year, but thankfully for him our captain is forgiving. I can't stress how annoying it is to be sat on a mini-bus outside uni for half hour as one lad can't be arsed to get out of bed!

Maybe it's just the way i was raised, but being so late because you're so lazy is incredibly disrespectful.

Bradford are always a very polar team. Very very good or absolutely abysmal. They're also our varsity rivals so the omens are good! When you played indoor, i presume it was also at Headingley? 

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #922 on: November 06, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »

Bradford are always a very polar team. Very very good or absolutely abysmal. They're also our varsity rivals so the omens are good! When you played indoor, i presume it was also at Headingley?
Ah is that right, only ever played them the once. Not at headingley, wasn't the BUCS indoor - few years back there was an 'ECB National University Championships' organised in the Aussie indoor format (which is much better!), played in Derby. It was held over the weekend, we played really well on the first day to get to the semi finals the next morning, then went out... They didn't go out, I was just about getting it back together the next morning the first ball of the game flew past my nose! This off a 2 pace run-up ha. Good side they had that day for sure, batting and bowling.

NT50

• First XI Captain
« Reply #923 on: November 06, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »

Yeh, every uni seems to have a bowler who's a bit gas! Doesn't help that indoor surfaces seem to make the ball gather pace and bounce!  They had a former Kenyan u19 leg-spinner playing for them and we decided the best course of action was to charge him!

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #924 on: November 06, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »

Yeh, every uni seems to have a bowler who's a bit gas! Doesn't help that indoor surfaces seem to make the ball gather pace and bounce!  They had a former Kenyan u19 leg-spinner playing for them and we decided the best course of action was to charge him!
The BUCS rules of playing with a hockey ball aren't great to be honest, not helped by bouncy county sports hall surfaces. If you're even halfway tall or quick it's not too hard to just bomb people onto the back foot, couple of good fielders and batting is very difficult. One reason I prefer the Aussie style - lighter ball with a seam is way harder to bowl short with so you have to pitch it up.

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #925 on: November 06, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »

The BUCS rules of playing with a hockey ball aren't great to be honest, not helped by bouncy county sports hall surfaces. If you're even halfway tall or quick it's not too hard to just bomb people onto the back foot, couple of good fielders and batting is very difficult. One reason I prefer the Aussie style - lighter ball with a seam is way harder to bowl short with so you have to pitch it up.

Ah but short bowling is fun and means batters cant just day and run or be front foot bullies. Low scoring games are also great fun and tight when the ball is consistently quick and at peoples throats

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #926 on: November 06, 2018, 06:57:55 PM »

Ah but short bowling is fun and means batters cant just day and run or be front foot bullies. Low scoring games are also great fun and tight when the ball is consistently quick and at peoples throats
Don't mind a bit of short bowling to be fair, especially not if I'm dishing it out ha. But... a bowler of my pace shouldn't be quick enough to just pin a batsman with throat balls all the time. Spoils the game IMO, no variation and limited skills instead of the wider range that makes cricket what it is.

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #927 on: November 06, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »

Don't mind a bit of short bowling to be fair, especially not if I'm dishing it out ha. But... a bowler of my pace shouldn't be quick enough to just pin a batsman with throat balls all the time. Spoils the game IMO, no variation and limited skills instead of the wider range that makes cricket what it is.

Tbf there is as much skill in batting off the back foot as front. Most just cant play off the back foot so prefer front foot dog
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62]

Advertise on CBF