Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self feeding bowling bowling machine- Paceman pro vs Paceman strike help!  (Read 1348 times)

leatherseat

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Self feeding bowling bowling machine- Paceman pro vs Paceman strike help!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 07:55:08 AM »

For occasional use, the Paceman works well. It can still do swinging deliveries. I move it closer to increase the relative speed. Its 'natural variations' are ideal for a back garden net - varying the length of each delivery a little. For the money they are excellent value and good for a bit of fun, or getting back into the groove. I have used mine quite a bit over the last 3 years, particularly this year, having returned to regular playing - an easy way to face a 50-100 ball session midweek. I have an 18 ball feeder (max 24), that works well every time (just have to ensure the feeder is not tilted).
The price differential is significant compared to the more expensive Paceman models and Bola junior. I would certainly prefer a Bola Junior, but not sure I can justify the extra cost. If your budget stretches, go for the Bola, Jr., but for back garden warmups, the cheapest Paceman gives good fun per .

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 03:57:48 PM »

Once you factor in purchasing balls , battery , sine wave convertor etc , the paceman strike (and even more so with the pro , as you need to buy the feeder separately too) are only $100-200 cheaper than a bola junior.
I bought the feeder extension for the bola junior ($30) , so my feeder now takes 19 balls.
Every 3.5ft you move the machine equals approx 5mph quicker( based off an 80ph calculation reference ) , so 3.5ft closer 65mph + 5 mph (70mph). The closest i get the machine before it just doesnt feel right anymore is 10ft, which is like 65mph + 15mph (80mph). From 7ft closer (ie 65mph + 10mph (75mph))  the machine feels perfect as the lower height (ie 5ft odd) from 7ft closer feels like a normalish bolwing trajectory. 
The paceman machines dont even come close in terms of speed consistency , swing consistency , ease of adjustment etc too. A digital control panel is a bigger plus than you might initially think aswell.
When you also think about after purchase servicing , which bola do , and the fact that its a two wheel machine (not one like a paceman ) and it really is a no brainer .

Davehugh

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »

I bought a junior and couldn't get on with it. I managed to get a reconditioned unit from Bola and don't know if it was that or not but it just didn't work properly sprayed the balls everywhere. They refunded the money no questions asked and luckily for me the club i play for stuck there hand in the pocked and got an auto feeder for the Bola senior they already had. Used it a lot early season just a pain to in and out of the changing room. We are looking to get a stand to rectify this..

Lumsden

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »

Do you really need to buy one?

I live up in Yorkshire and had considered buying one but I thought it made far more sense simply going along to my local indoor net facility (Stumps in Wakefield) and paying 25 per hour (which includes someone feeding the balls).  Don't have a big outlay, can bat all year around regardless of weather - daytime or nighttime, no maintenance problems, no storage issues, no having buy more balls for those you lose and you also have someone to critique your batting. Also if you want to use your local indoor net facility heavily, try negotiating a deal where you pre-pay.

The only negative I have is that whenever I get the chance to bat in a match, it's generally on a shocking wicket and nothing like the quick and even surface at Stumps.

Best Bowling: 7/39
Best Batting: 72no (yes honestly !!)

teakay

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 09:58:21 AM »

Certainly an idea.  I am not sure any of the local nets do this.  I know can hire a net and machine but would need to find a willing feeder.  Also set-up time is taken off the hour do by the time you have waited for them to bring out the machine and set it up you might not have much time left.

Pages: 1 [2]

Advertise on CBF