Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Before/After Refurb thread.  (Read 6988 times)

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Before/After Refurb thread.
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »

Does anyone have any tips for sanding inside the scoops of a GN E41? I'm trying to refurb one at the moment and I'm trying to get rid of the rich mahogany look which is doubtless the result of age and excessive oiling (because more is better right?) but I cannot seem to get rid of the dark patches in the scoops due to the shape. The remainder of the bat looks quite good, but the scoops are refusing to lose their tan.
I've tried using a flap wheel, sand paper, acetone, more sand paper and a scotch brite pad on a grinder but with little success. The scoops are quite deep and have very steep sides unlike a single or twin scoop so it's very difficult to get at them with a powered sander of any kind.
I'm thinking about painting them gloss black instead.

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:06 PM »

I ended up painting the inside of the scoops gloss black which looked quite smart, but my painting skills are not great so the edges aren't super crisp which lets it down a bit. I didn't get a picture of the result though.
Another player dropped in his New Balance for a refurb too, it's the softest bat I've ever worked on. 240 grit paper was tearing it apart, I ended up doing the majority of the sanding with 480 grit. You can see the cracks across the grain from the soft press and the complete lack of preparation - he's a left hander.
He also dropped in a Salix that was used by JC when he opened the batting for Jerusalem, in quite good nick for such an old bat but the pig skin helped to preserve the face from damage.

Salix Pictures

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:57:05 PM by Komdotkom »

Psi

• First XI Captain
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »

Not sure how well this shows up in the photos, but I was amazed how well a crushed /dented toe can be fixed with a steam iron and cloth. This is my old NB 1260 copy and the toe was crushed by a badly mis executed pull shot that actually struck the back of the bat. The top 4 photos are of the damage, the bottom are after repair... Took about 5 mins with the iron.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2DTuBkqEG2DA5Ycf7
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Advertise on CBF