Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Before/After Refurb thread.  (Read 8611 times)

Byo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Before/After Refurb thread.
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »

Does anyone have any tips for sanding inside the scoops of a GN E41? I'm trying to refurb one at the moment and I'm trying to get rid of the rich mahogany look which is doubtless the result of age and excessive oiling (because more is better right?) but I cannot seem to get rid of the dark patches in the scoops due to the shape. The remainder of the bat looks quite good, but the scoops are refusing to lose their tan.
I've tried using a flap wheel, sand paper, acetone, more sand paper and a scotch brite pad on a grinder but with little success. The scoops are quite deep and have very steep sides unlike a single or twin scoop so it's very difficult to get at them with a powered sander of any kind.
I'm thinking about painting them gloss black instead.

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:06 PM »

I ended up painting the inside of the scoops gloss black which looked quite smart, but my painting skills are not great so the edges aren't super crisp which lets it down a bit. I didn't get a picture of the result though.
Another player dropped in his New Balance for a refurb too, it's the softest bat I've ever worked on. 240 grit paper was tearing it apart, I ended up doing the majority of the sanding with 480 grit. You can see the cracks across the grain from the soft press and the complete lack of preparation - he's a left hander.
He also dropped in a Salix that was used by JC when he opened the batting for Jerusalem, in quite good nick for such an old bat but the pig skin helped to preserve the face from damage.

Salix Pictures

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:57:05 PM by Komdotkom »

Psi

• First XI Captain
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 07:47:15 PM »

Not sure how well this shows up in the photos, but I was amazed how well a crushed /dented toe can be fixed with a steam iron and cloth. This is my old NB 1260 copy and the toe was crushed by a badly mis executed pull shot that actually struck the back of the bat. The top 4 photos are of the damage, the bottom are after repair... Took about 5 mins with the iron.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2DTuBkqEG2DA5Ycf7

Mfarank

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »

Just did a refurb on a teammate's near 10 year old MB laminate. Removed the old stickers and edge tape, used thinner to get the gunk of. Superglued some edge cracks, hand sanded the entire thing using 80 grit, then used an electric sander with 80 grit. Finished off with 300 grit on the sander. Applied a light coat of linseed oil to the entire thing and let it rest for 2 days, finished off with some batwax and new stickers and grip (that he provided) and scuffed it up. Think it came off pretty well and my friend is losing his mind cause its his favorite bat.

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2019, 10:08:16 PM »

Nice work, those GM stickers look smart.

DorsetDan

• International Captain
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2019, 06:57:06 AM »

Nice work, those GM stickers look smart horrendously fake

FTFY  ;) Good job on the refurb though. Always satisfying to make an old bat shine again 👍

Mfarank

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »

FTFY  ;) Good job on the refurb though. Always satisfying to make an old bat shine again 👍
Well offcourse they're fake lol. Dont know where he got them from but he wanted them on

Mfarank

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »

Another one done on a teammates old 90s traditional puma. This one was a much easier job. Just removed the old scuff and edge tape, sanded down using 100 grit first and finished with 320 grit for a smooth finish. Oiled and rested for a day. New stickers and grip, batwax and new scuff sheet and edge tape. Owner was really happy with this and so was i.

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2019, 02:04:57 AM »

I like fake looking stickers, you don't want to be known as the bloke who restickers bat's into fakes. I like to think of it more like a tribute band; similar but discernibly different

Mfarank

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2019, 03:52:33 PM »

Another cleanup and refurb on a teammate's UK made Hawk. I really liked this bat. Felt very very similar to my BB. Who is the batmaker for this brand? Does Anyone know?

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »

@Mfarank Hawk bats are made by Hawk in Drayton, Worcestershire

https://www.hawkcricket.com/about

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2019, 09:26:04 PM »

One of the young blokes at our club has an XP70 and he's quite a talented batsman, you know the type - you think you're bowling well then he just starts putting the ball into the fence whenever he likes. On top of being an excellent player he's also a really nice young man so when his bat started to split I said I'd have a crack at fixing it. It's been de-laminating for a while by the looks of things but he just kept adding fibre tape to it.
The bat is an absolute gun in his hands so I was really surprised to note that it's an Indian made XP70 850 with a lot of graping in the hitting zone.

Clamp and glue

It's drying at the moment, I'll finish it off this week.

Alvaro

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2019, 03:39:49 PM »

Why are you surprised that an Indian made bat performs well?

SOULMAN1012

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+25)
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »

My current match bat now getting  some tlc. This was gifted to me by a current 1st class opening bat and its truly superb. However its sustained some damage to the toe and started to go through the back. Here it is in its current condition.

Glued with Gorilla glue, watered down to get right into the deepest part of the crack, and then normal consistency applied and crack opened as wide as possible with some leverage, clamped now and has been since Sunday until I get into my workshop
To sand and clean up

Komdotkom

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »

Why are you surprised that an Indian made bat performs well?

I was surprised that a bat which is at the bottom end of the range performs this well, the country of manufacture doesn't really matter. I'd never looked closely at the bat until he showed me on Saturday and had just assumed it was a 1200 or 2000, it would be in the top 10 best performing bats at my club that I've seen.

I unclamped it after 24 hrs and gave it a bit of a sand and it's not too bad but the delamination is so close to the face that I can't think of any other means to hold it together; lamitoe or dowels just won't work.
I masked up the remaining stickers while I sanded it and when I removed the tape it also removed a section of teh sticker that was covering the splice which revealed that the splice fit is very average. I filled the void with Gorrilla glue, I doubt it will make any difference but at least there won't be a hole from one side to the other.
I may have to look for a different glue, the Titebond III that I'm using dries a dark brown colour which is a bit ugly on Willow.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Advertise on CBF