Advertise on CBF

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: People batting without vital bits of equipment...  (Read 1089 times)

19reading87

• Forum Legend
  • Trade Count: (+39)
People batting without vital bits of equipment...
« on: May 29, 2018, 10:05:20 AM »

Who have you played with or against who has batted without something vital?

For me, I used to play against a bloke who would never wear batting gloves! Crazy!

Also, I know a couple of lads who play a very high standard (Birmingham League) who don't wear a thigh pad.
Highest score: 147*          Best bowling: 5-21

mattw

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+9)
    • PRYZM Cricket
Re: People batting without vital bits of equipment...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »

A chap for my Wednesday night team doesn't wear gloves. Our home pitch is uncovered and a bit spicy, he got hit on the fingers two weeks ago - used gloves last week and got a golden duck. So who knows what he'll do this week.

alexhilly1492

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:16 AM »

Id say a helmet was vital (always worn one, was mandatory at junior levels for me) but theres plenty who dont use one!

Send plenty of people not use thigh pads, one lad I played against forgot his box, remembered when he got hit!
HS: 61*
BB: 7-4-9-5, 7.3-0-29-5

billyb

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »

I bat without both skill & talent... but you could probably say that about most of us on here  :D :D :D

Kulli

• World Cup Winner
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Herr Kaleun
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »

Years ago a team in our league had an older opener who always batted without gloves. Their home ground was an absolute swamp so any attempts to dig it in and hit him on the hands just ended up sitting up to be sparked for 4/6, so maybe it was a good plan after all.
They won't catch us this time! Not this time! They haven't spotted us! No, they're all snoring in their bunks! Or, you know what? They're drinking at the bar, celebrating our sinking! Not yet, my friends. Not yet!

jjelricksmith

• First XI Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »

I used to play with an opening batsman that used no grip on his bat.

WalkingWicket37

• International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+26)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »

A bloke at my club lost his box last season and takes great pleasure in telling people he hasn't bothered to replace it.

Should he get hit "there" I imagine he'd likely purchase a new one though...

jayralh

• First XI Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 01:28:52 PM »

There are few new guys started playing in our team. One of them in his first game turned up late due to some reason(long story) so had no kit but just whites.
I gave him my bat next week again turned up without bat again gave him my bat. Both times he damaged the bat but lot second time. Last week again came without bat and asked my bat and I refused and showed him damage he caused.

Can't understand how you can come to play without a bat. Let's see if he brings one this Saturday after I refused.

RPC/Blueroom Cricket - Adie

• Forum Sponsor
  • Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »

I didnt use a box in my first few games in 2011. Didnt realise I had too and faced some sharp bowlers so itd have done some damage. No helmet or thigh guard either.. just billy basic pads, gloves and a 36yr old bat .

My dad realised I wasnt wearing any the first game he watched me and told me off a little.. I went shopping on the Internet after that and had all shiny grey nics stuff, ignite pads, gloves and carbo bat from week 3 onwards

Seniorplayer

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »

Play against a guy who doesn't wear gloves
Personally don't bother with a thigh pad wore a helmet with the guard lowered for years for better vision until I get a quick one on the nose in 2017
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:48:09 PM by Seniorplayer »

JB

• International Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »

I batted on saturday with no helmet or thigh pad. I only lasted one ball though so it doesn't really matter....

Seniorplayer

• Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 06:33:40 PM »

There are few new guys started playing in our team. One of them in his first game turned up late due to some reason(long story) so had no kit but just whites.
I gave him my bat next week again turned up without bat again gave him my bat. Both times he damaged the bat but lot second time. Last week again came without bat and asked my bat and I refused and showed him damage he caused.

Can't understand how you can come to play without a bat. Let's see if he brings one this Saturday after I refused.

Don't clubs have club kit bags anymore.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:48 PM »

A guy at my club doesnt wear a box and one other doesnt wear a thigh guard .
Until i was 32  I never wore a helmet or thigh pad . I returned to playing at 32 after an 8 yr gap . I decided to start wearing a lid with only perspex earguards ( to have quicker access to clean my glasses and because batting in glasses while wearing a helmet is a pain ) . That lid was old and broke not long after returning . I went shopping for a new one and the one i bought wouldnt take the earguards . I went back to the shop and got a grille hoping i might be able to get used to it . On an impulse i thought 'why not get a thigh pad and see if i could get used to that too'. Fast forward 7yrs and , not only do i wear a helmet with grille and a thigh pad,  i wear  an inner thigh pad and a chest guard and arm guard too (to protect my brittle and arthritic bones while playing at a high level). If you asked me in my 20s if i would one day be dressed like a riot cop when batting i would have said "I'll never be one of 'those' guys". Oh well......i guess we all  have to change eventually.

LBWCandidate

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Two 4's are better than a 6!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:14 PM »

I don't wear a thigh guard. Never wore a helmet in my younger days but now I do.

thecord

• International Captain
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »

Slightly different but a lad in my clubs 3rds actually walked out to bat without a bat last week only realising when he got to the crease and had nothing to take guard with!
Pages: [1] 2

Advertise on CBF