Using Spikes without spikes
Advertise on CBF

Author Topic: Using Spikes without spikes  (Read 580 times)

adb club cricketer

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Using Spikes without spikes
« on: July 13, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »

Folks, this might be a stupid question, but want to know what you guys think on this.

As we play on artificial wickets, I have always used rubber spikes.  However, I like the metal spike shoes more as I feel they are more comfy in general. Also, there are usually more buying options for metal spike shoes.
Some of the batting  spikes I tried on and liked are the ASICS gel advance/Asics Gel gully 5 etc. However, I cannot use metal spikes on the artificial pitches we play on. So my question is can I just remove all the spikes off these shoes and just use them. Would there be any concerns on this as the shoe is designed to be used with the spikes in place, such as would it still provide support to the feet and also the shoe doesn't get damaged/worn faster due to removing the spikes? I want to use the resulting shoe for batting, fielding and spin bowling as well.

prim0pyr0

• Club Cricketer
Re: Using Spikes without spikes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 01:49:46 AM »

Can get rubber "spikes" to use in place of the metal ones when playing on artificial. often use these on the back/heel for batting on grass pitches also (allows more pivot), use full metal spikes for bowling on grass tho.

https://www.playerssports.co.nz/cricket/product/2012/gray-nicolls-conversion-spikes?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsaKfpLyd3AIVFuO9Ch3Ztgu_EAQYASABEgIoJ_D_BwE

adb club cricketer

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 03:18:32 AM »

So replacing all the metal spikes in say ASICS gel gully 5 with these non-metal spikes is better option than just removing all spikes altogether?

prim0pyr0

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 04:24:04 AM »

Yea def. If you have nothing in there youll have less grip, and dirt will fill up the thread holes.

sarg

• International Captain
    • CricketBatInfo
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »

i have done exactly this for the past 5 seasons for exactly the same logic. Spiked shoes are at higher price points and generally better made and provide better arch support. Also rubbers wear out really fast on outside half concrete nets. So I have used conversion spikes in the nets or indoor venues and i do not have issues if the show itself is good quality....eg it didnt work for the Slazenger D30s  ;).

I have a second set of shoes with spikes for the games, which are on turf.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 09:14:01 AM by sarg »
Don't ask me how much each run costs me....

SD

• First XI Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »

I use batting spikes minus the spikes during pre season indoor nets to break them in but they like the grip needed to bowl and o wouldn't want to have to play a game in them in that state.  As a few people have already mentioned, you can get plastic lugs to use instead of the metal spikes for use on artificial pitches

Seniorplayer

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »

I  have done it   never slipped but the threads do become clogged up almost impossible to put the spikes back in.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:29 PM »

Yeah probably best to just do the conversion spikes. Me , personally , i hate how hard conversion spikes feel on synthetic wickets. I'd either plug the holes with blu tac , or buy a pair of quality trainers with similar grip to cricket rubbers .

Duck Duck Mongoose

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 11:37:56 AM »

Trail running shoes from brands such as Salomon or Merrell can be good options, very sturdy and lots of grip.

Biggie Smalls

• International Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »

Trail running shoes from brands such as Salomon or Merrell can be good options, very sturdy and lots of grip.

My astro wicket winter comp shoes for a couple seasons were salomon trail runners .....they hold up really well and have similar grip to synthetic /rubber spike cricket shoes anyway .

adb club cricketer

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »

Yes, Some of the cricket rubbers like for e.g. below dont seem to have that much grip as the other cricket rubbers and seem to have similar sole to the trainers. So the trainers also should be fine i guess for artificial wickets.

https://www.prodirectcricket.com/products/Puma-Team-Turf-Shoe-White-Black-Orange-White-Black-Orange-Turf-185144.aspx
or
https://www.talentcricket.co.uk/kookaburra_cricket_footwear/kookaburra_kcs_1500_white_rubber/c225p2121.html

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »

I like this!

I used have trail runners on astroturf pitches for many seasons and they work like a charm. Brooks Cascadia 7 are by far the best I ever used. They are so good, I bought a second pair. Now that I need to replace them, I can't find them. I wish I had had bought 4 pairs, they were discounted steeply then.

I am trying out Brooks Cascadia 12, very similar to 7.

Advertise on CBF