Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New bat preparation  (Read 1090 times)

horseman and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

pawanpurswani

• Village Cricketer
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: New bat preparation
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 11:03:34 AM »

Yep looks a decent bit of wood but if it is fake then I'd be annoyed at paying that kind of money. Just wondered if it was a known fake seller on eBay that was all.

True that. It is really annoying to have realisation that you have been cheated.
No, I haven't bought from eBay but from a seller who is popular on this forum to get bat from India. There are mixed reviews for seller here, mostly negative for the service they provide but I guess none has reported receiving fake one. Let's not name the seller here until anything proved. I will be happy if I see new maximus range is in the market with the same decals for 2019.

pawanpurswani

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »

Knocking in with scuff is fine, but it depends on the quality of the scuff. If it's quite a cheap scuff, it might crack as you knock the edges, in which case I'd recommend following that. If you need a scuff removal guide, here's a link!

http://custombats.co.uk/cbforum/index.php?topic=21474.0

Thanks. I will follow this.  :)

SAFC2403

• First XI Captain
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:06 AM »

I never bothered taking the scuff off my new aldred last year - just whacked it for a few hours and went out to play - not caused me or the bat any problems.

I just started out in the middle and made an impression and then gradually worked my way up and down the bat to compress the face - then rolled the edges on a stump to round them off a bit more and that was it.

prim0pyr0

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »

True that. It is really annoying to have realisation that you have been cheated.
No, I haven't bought from eBay but from a seller who is popular on this forum to get bat from India. There are mixed reviews for seller here, mostly negative for the service they provide but I guess none has reported receiving fake one. Let's not name the seller here until anything proved. I will be happy if I see new maximus range is in the market with the same decals for 2019.
Ols?

pawanpurswani

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 05:57:16 PM »

I could very well be wrong! Might have been a sticker update, just they looked a bit off! Shape looks good though, as does the TON engraving at the toe. :)

Saw this on SS facebook page, so looks like SS updated the stickers. Bit of relief that it's a genuine one. I didn't wanted to remove toe guard to verify, saved my efforts.

https://i.postimg.cc/dVGfMwCW/SS_Facebook_New_Stickers.jpg

Jimmy Tieana

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »

Thanks. I have gone through the post and it recommends to knock without scuff sheet. But there are other people on same thread says it's ok to knock if it is already pre fitted. Another example is video from Paul@IJC to knock it with scuff to avoid risk of damage in removing.

I only worry that I may damage if I try to remove the scuff sheet but I think I cannot properly knock the edges without removing. That is why I have posted for suggestions.

Pawan, you can knock it in with the scuff sheet on............

pawanpurswani

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 05:20:36 PM »

Pawan, you can knock it in with the scuff sheet on............

Thanks Jimmy for your response. But I have removed the scuff after getting the suggestions above. It came out nicely so I think I can now properly round the edges.

leatherseat

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 08:32:46 PM »

Looking over various threads led me to Ebay, where I found a heavy (640gm) mallet for a modest price. I have ordered one and look forward to it arriving, shortly, so I can knock in my recently ordered B3.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302902815770
Has anyone tried this mallet?

David

leatherseat

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 09:11:30 AM »

The mallet mentioned above has arrived. Mine weighed 660gms and has been used to knock in my new B3 custom bat.

It makes a huge difference compared to my lighter (GM) mallet. It dents the bat where the lighter mallet didn't. It has a shorter, thicker handle and I am delighted with it. It seems excellent value below 15incl postage, whereas I was not willing to spend 60-70 on a Lignum mallet. Some pictures to try to show the size difference -

Grubby

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »

That looks good and will speed up the process. I think I'll order one too.

SAFC2403

• First XI Captain
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »

Just ordered one as well as i will be knocking in a few bats for people soon.

pawanpurswani

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #26 on: Today at 01:36:00 AM »

Can anybody recommend a good anti scuff sheet please?
There are many posts on this site but most of the product links are not working for the advised one or not available.

Cholrudee

• Village Cricketer

prim0pyr0

• Club Cricketer

Mfarank

• First XI Captain
« Reply #29 on: Today at 05:54:34 AM »

Its not GM branded. I have used it before. Its cut from a roll. Its decent