Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Narrow Grain vs Wide Grain - Amateur Science  (Read 6668 times)

LBWCandidate

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Two 4's are better than a 6!
Re: Narrow Grain vs Wide Grain - Amateur Science
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2019, 04:30:11 PM »

This is so exciting.  :)

JK Lewis

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »

Evening all! And thanks for your patience on this, it really has taken ages - busy year, cricket season, family stuff etc etc. Anyway, you'll be happy to hear that I'm finally getting on with the next stages of this experiment. I had the great pleasure of paying a visit to the home and workshop of forum legend @Northern monkey yesterday afternoon. Excellent stuff, lovely to meet up with Mark and talk bats and batmaking with him. Dude's made his own press! Proper engineering project there, it just shows what you can achieve with a little thought

The Monkey has worked his magic with the 2 clefts - Narrow Grain and Wide Grain - see the photos below, which honestly don't do his talent justice at all. Despite the two clefts being so different, the bats are pretty much identical in profile and feel, and in their naked state weigh in just 46g different. Awesome job, really puts my amateur efforts in perspective. I need to bind the handles and put grips on, then both bats will end up around 2lb 11oz - 2lb 12oz.

Once complete, we can get on with the testing phase. My idea is that the bats be passed around between interested Forum members, so that anyone who wants to have a go with them, can do. If you'd like to be involved just post on this thread and include your location, and we can get the ball rolling through winter nets. You'd need to accept responsibility for using the bats appropriately and then making sure they are posted or delivered carefully to the next tester. Write a review, choose your favourite of the 2 bats, and at the end we can see if Narrow or Wide comes out on top.

Psi

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »

Yes I would do that. I have some nets coming up next Thursday and a couple of weeks later. Pm me and I'll give my address. It's near Cambridge.

jdownesbcfc

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »

Great idea this, small sample obviously but always been intrigued as to how much diff it makes, especially as thats how I pick a lot of the bats I buy haha

If you dont have much uptake Id be up for giving it a go certainly - midlands based just outside Stratford upon Avon

edge

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2019, 09:22:37 PM »

You'll not be surprised to know I couldn't be more keen for forum amateur science experiments! Send them over to the west country, I'll be netting every week from mid-jan onwards. Really interested to see how this goes a fully, particularly to see how results match up to the received wisdom of narrow grains going better early. Great work Justin.
HS: 156, BB: 7-20

Psi

• First XI Captain
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »

Might be able to persuade @blindowl to participate too as we will likely be at the same nets.
Anyone else near Cambridge to save on a lot of Hermes parcel fees?

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »

My idea is that the bats be passed around between interested Forum members, so that anyone who wants to have a go with them, can do.

Great idea!

InternalTraining

• World Cup Winner
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »

I need to bind the handles and put grips on, then both bats will end up around 2lb 11oz - 2lb 12oz.

Have you thought about 1/3 or 1/4 twine and rest medical tape?

JK Lewis

• County 1st XI
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »

Have you thought about 1/3 or 1/4 twine and rest medical tape?

I have tried tape in the past, but to be honest I prefer the consistency of traditional binding, and the added structure which stiffens the handle a little bit I think. For this experiment, I'm attempting to create two bats that are as identical as possible, so I reckon full binding is the way forward this time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Advertise on CBF