Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: First, second and third attempt  (Read 2212 times)

jonny77

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: First, second and third attempt
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »

Lovely shape that

Thanks mate, really happy with it to be honest. I'm learning a lot but there's not much I'd change with this one and may keep it to put in the bag as I made it to my preferred shape and weight, unless some one wants it obviously. Appreciate the feedback as always!

IWTUK

• Club Cricketer
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 06:38:13 AM »

Lovely shape that

Seconded; that is lush...great work!

jonny77

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »

Seconded; that is lush...great work!

Thanks mate. As I said I'm tempted to keep this one as it's a beaut, but will see. Appreciate the feedback!

Komdotkom

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2019, 12:18:16 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to post I really like the shape of the last one. I've ordered a couple of part mades from Red Ink so I'm about to embark on this journey in the next few weeks.
Out of interest did you notice much difference between the stock you purchased from H4L and Red Ink? Was there a reason for the switch, or was it just to see what other suppliers do differently?

jonny77

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2019, 05:52:25 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to post I really like the shape of the last one. I've ordered a couple of part mades from Red Ink so I'm about to embark on this journey in the next few weeks.
Out of interest did you notice much difference between the stock you purchased from H4L and Red Ink? Was there a reason for the switch, or was it just to see what other suppliers do differently?

Hi mate. No reason other than I wanted to try different suppliers and see if there was a difference. The part made I got from John was great and both ping really well. The only difference was the H4L ones had more of a bow, where as Johns didn't. John has been really helpful also with any questions and advice etc, he's a grest bloke to deal with. His handles also required more shaping, which is a good thing and offers you the chance to customise then a little more. Both are great though.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, appreciate it. Good luck and be sure to post up your results.

Komdotkom

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2019, 10:24:49 PM »

These arrived from John at Red Ink yesterday, time to start thinking of profiles.

jonny77

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2019, 10:36:30 PM »

They look like they'll make some great sticks mate, good luck!

Komdotkom

• Village Cricketer
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »

So here's my first attempt, let me know if you want me to move this to a new thread.
It's got 36mm edges and a spine height around 60mm, I was a bit disappointed that the cleft wouldn't allow a higher spine than this. Toe is 22mm on the edge and 30mm in the centre, top of the shoulders are 13mm. Weight is 2.9
Things I learned: 1 - don't be shy. I wasted heaps of time being nice and not hacking away with reckless abandon. 2 - I suck at binding 3 - handle shaping is the hardest part
I used a heel shave that I got from John at Red Ink, which initially was totally useless but after a couple of hours honing and sharpening made things pretty simple.
It still needs a few touch ups and probably some more handle binding before a final sand, edge boning and I'm contemplating doing a lamitoe from the outset to keep it together.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:28:43 AM by Komdotkom »

jonny77

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »

Looks great mate, lovely shape and I wouldn't worry about the sponge height, 60mm is plenty. I agree on the handle shaping, I  found it tricky at first, but you can always take the binding pod and reshape it. You can also rig up a system with some wood and a drill to make the binding easier (DIY lathe really). There's video on Instagram where you can see one which JP Gavan uses. Great first effort tho mate, top work!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Advertise on CBF