Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: M&H S6 / Puma Original dimensions  (Read 4078 times)

Buzz

• Administrator
  • International Superstar
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Clear your mind, stay still and watch the ball
Re: M&H S6 / Puma Original dimensions
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 10:25:57 PM »

This is a magnificent thread, thanks so much for sharing.
And great work with the bats.
"Bradman didn't used to have any trigger movements or anything like that. He turned batting into a subconscious act" Tony Shillinglaw.

DevAussie

• First XI Captain
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 06:40:28 AM »

Great effort mate, looks really good. I made a replica S6 when i first started too, it's a classic bat that won a lot if people over.

JK Lewis

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »

Awesome job mate, I've been following with great interest. The bat looks great, but can you feel any actual difference now?

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:01 PM »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
The plugs made no difference to the weight, I really should have done before and after weight measurements but I really just did it for the challenge.
It's a light bat for the size but I think that has more to do with the cleft and leaving it on a heating register for a couple of weeks than the holes/plugs. I didn't hit too many in the nets so can't really comment on the performance but it seems pretty good.
Interestingly the other cleft that I got and shaped up is very disappointing as a bat, probably one of the worst performers I have but I'll reserve final judgement until it's done a few more sessions and been played in properly but it feels pretty average.
If anyone has any hot tips on how to get handled clefts to Australia at a semi reasonable price I'm all ears, at the moment I can buy a reasonable quality finished bat for less than the clefts cost.

jonny77

• County 1st XI
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 07:02:07 AM »

Have you contacted the source of the cleft to feedback? I'm sure they'd help if there's an issue. I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'disappointing'. Dead or just not as good as others? 

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 07:33:01 AM »

I haven't contacted the source of the cleft about it, it's not a plank by any means but it doesn't perform as well as my others. My other bats are all good performers and the only really 'cheap' ones I have are two butterfly jobs from L&W and Aldred which both go quite well.
It could be the shape and balance too - I just don't love it like the Puma/M&H copy, that's one's a keeper for sure. Pity really because I had it laser engraved with my club logo so my market to sell it is very limited.....

Julesoak

• County 2nd XI
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 09:01:04 AM »

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
The plugs made no difference to the weight, I really should have done before and after weight measurements but I really just did it for the challenge.
It's a light bat for the size but I think that has more to do with the cleft and leaving it on a heating register for a couple of weeks than the holes/plugs. I didn't hit too many in the nets so can't really comment on the performance but it seems pretty good.
Interestingly the other cleft that I got and shaped up is very disappointing as a bat, probably one of the worst performers I have but I'll reserve final judgement until it's done a few more sessions and been played in properly but it feels pretty average.
If anyone has any hot tips on how to get handled clefts to Australia at a semi reasonable price I'm all ears, at the moment I can buy a reasonable quality finished bat for less than the clefts cost.

JP Gavan for the clefts maybe?

jonny77

• County 1st XI
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »

Or find out where JP Gavan sources his from, as they seem to come pre-handled etc.

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 04:19:08 AM »

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/salisbury-plain/other-sports-fitness/6-off-willow-clefts-6-off-bat-handles-for-cricket-bat-making/1225322496

If any of the Australians want to arrange a group buy let me know and I'll jump on this.
EDIT - looks like just the raw clefts are remaining and have not been pressed.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:40:51 AM by Komdotkom »

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2020, 09:41:22 PM »

This bat is still going well and has been my match bat this year. As a genuine number 12, I don't often get called upon to put the pads on but on the couple of occasions that I have used it in a match it's been excellent and is probably my favourite bat at the moment. It's also become a favourite bat of a few others at my club and they have asked me to make them similar bats for them.
I was recently in NZ and dropped in to Laver and Wood to get my son a new stick and chat to James and I mentioned this style of bat to him after fondling the ones he has in the showroom. Interestingly he reported that they have reduced the size of the dowels to 12mm (I think) because they found that the bats just 'exploded' after a few seasons.
I'll update this thread with my progress on the next lot, but given the L&W experience I may go for a much smaller dowel this time. I've got some nice clefts at a very reasonable price so they should be reasonable units I think.

AJ2014

• County 2nd XI
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »

This bat is still going well and has been my match bat this year. As a genuine number 12, I don't often get called upon to put the pads on but on the couple of occasions that I have used it in a match it's been excellent and is probably my favourite bat

are you a genuine offy? :D :D
Who hit me the biggest 6? My son! With the bat I gifted him!

Komdotkom

• First XI Captain
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 08:34:05 PM »

I've started on the second one, but I can already tell that I will struggle with the weight. As a reference the stickered up bat weighs 2.75 fully dressed and the new one is 2.85 bare. The first one has some concaving and the new one is a very full profile but I don't think I can concave 2.5oz out of it.
When I cut the holes in the first bat I set up a forstner drill bit in my pedestal drill with a three axis milling clamp on the bed which took ages, and those tools are in my other workshop which I use for race car fabrication and there's always the risk of getting oil or grease on a bat so I wanted to avoid the 'dirty' workshop. This time I just used a spade bit and it did a pretty good job, if I was to do it again I'd probably change the tip depth a bit but I don't think I'd go to the trouble of using a forstner again. These plugs are 19mm pine dowels and there's 20mm thickness left in the face.
The cleft weight prior to plugging was 1180g and after plugging it was.......1171g - not worth it.
With the last bat I put the plugs in last which caused me some finishing issues so I've put them in at the start of the process this time, and I'm already regretting it because cutting the plugs across the end grain is proving to be close to impossible with a plane so I'll have to creep up on it with the sander. If I cant get this to 2.9 dressed I'll be happy and there's still a bit to take out of the toe/edges and neaten up the shoulders so with any luck I can get 2 oz off it, may have to look at concaving it some more as the prospective owner wants the spine height to be as large as possible.

jamesisapayne

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Best bowling: 8-3-15-6 Best batting: 111
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »

This is brilliant - I throughly enjoy reading your posts. Always wish I had an S6 but they were too expensive!

jonny77

• County 1st XI
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 10:26:06 PM »

Great effort mate! Love seeing thsee kind of updates and reckon you've done a top job here. Looking forward to see it fully finished 👌

Komdotkom

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »

I finished this off over the weekend, still needs oil, wax and knocking.
26mm edges and 63mm spine, total weight is 2 9.5 with the grip, toe guard and stickers but no scuff. This one has less concaving than the one with the Puma stickers but it's 2oz heavier so I suppose that's about right. I could have duck billed the toe a bit more to help with the pickup but the owner wanted a low middle.
The willow has a stain on it which I suppose is a butterfly stain, but aside from that small blemish and a knot on the back it's a nice bit of wood. After boning the edges and giving it 30mins with the mallet I took it for a run at the nets with some old balls and it seems to go quite well; it has a fairly firm GM style press which isn't quite as hard as a Laver&Wood but still has a nice 'crack' to it.
The owner wanted the retro SS Jumbo stickers which was a bit disappointing because they partially obscure the dowels, but I suppose he's paying for it so it doesn't really matter. They are terrible quality stickers though and I'll have to heat/glue the 'Jumbo' sticker to keep it adhered across the spine.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Advertise on CBF