Advertise on CBF

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can this be saved?  (Read 3324 times)

KettonJake

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Can this be saved?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 01:07:37 PM »

Its true and i absolutely love the GM sheets. The GN extratec come a close 2nd. I would never have removed it if i didnt have to repair that face crack

They are the same thing made by the same company

Most brands use the same product produced by one manufacturer.

Always take a sheet off edge to edge and heat it (hairdryer) first to avoid stripping any wood

prim0pyr0

• First XI Captain
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 12:52:48 AM »

Its the GM Neon 808 that i got back in February. Hasnt yet fully opened up enough for me to take it into a game. Been just netting with it and today i notice this. What started as a surface crack on the face (which i superglued and sanded) You can now already see the crack forming all along the toe. Can this be saved at this point or is it just a matter of time?

Just had a closer look at that crack. Looks like the one going through the toe is not starting from the face crack i.e maybe not so bad, possible that on the toe line isn't a crack. what does the back of bat look like?
Best bet is to take off the tape, give that area of the face and the toe a sand down with a orbital sander to a nice smooth finish then asses the cracks. superglue on the sanded toe will highlight cracks as they turn darker and more visible.

Mfarank

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 08:57:50 AM »

Just had a closer look at that crack. Looks like the one going through the toe is not starting from the face crack i.e maybe not so bad, possible that on the toe line isn't a crack. what does the back of bat look like?
Best bet is to take off the tape, give that area of the face and the toe a sand down with a orbital sander to a nice smooth finish then asses the cracks. superglue on the sanded toe will highlight cracks as they turn darker and more visible.
Will do that mate. Cheers

Mfarank

• County 1st XI
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »

So an update on this. As i expected, it was inevitable and the crack accross the toe gave up and split the bat right open. It did give me the opportunity to shove a lot of glue in there and clamp it back together. Tried to insert 2 dowels of 8mm x 7cm to reinforce, the first one was perfect but botched the 2nd one which broke about a few mm from the top when i was hammering it in so i filled it up with glue and sawdust and gave the whole thing a nice sanding to smooth things out. I have had 3 nets with it since the repair and it looks like it has held up pretty well. Some life left in this feather afterall. Here are some pics

Gurujames

• International Captain
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

Good effort. Though I would redrill the spilt dowel, even if it is 15mm into the edge, as the dust and glue wont last and will look a bit bodged.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Advertise on CBF